Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Brighton like in 1984?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Best Shops

there was one on the Clock tower next to boots , queens road side and i think the other shop was called taste and was in the lower floor of Churchill Sqaure.

Haircuts at Freddies.

Saturday night was Coasters night, I remember Rory. we would start the night off in the King and Queen before it got modern and then into the lanes for another bar but i cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

every now and again we would try the Escape Club and then during the summer it would be foreign student night in the Top Rank.

when Coasters closed down we started going to the Gloucester, mainly because you could get in wearing jeans and trainers.

:bowdown:
Haircut at Freddies.............. Flat top naturally

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I read somewhere that Brighton developed a casual scene around this time - perhaps a few years earlier - mainly because the town had quite a few locals who supported London teams, Manchester United, Liverpool etc, and they adopted the look which was then copied by local Albion fans.

Any truth in this?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Who went to see this at the cinema?

au800newst10-08.jpg

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I read somewhere that Brighton developed a casual scene around this time - perhaps a few years earlier - mainly because the town had quite a few locals who supported London teams, Manchester United, Liverpool etc, and they adopted the look which was then copied by local Albion fans.

Any truth in this?

It was a lot earlier than 1984 , around 1980, if not earlier.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah I'd agree with that, the West St Firm pretty much faded away after 1984 but a new set of lads from Hangleton took over where they left off.

I think I read it began around 1982 locally. Deerstalkers and all that. Would that be about right? Brighton seemed to be ahead of a lot of similar sized towns in catching on, mainly, I am led to believe, because of the big club supporting locals.

Weren't Portsmouth the south coast team who really embraced the casual movement early on and in a big way?

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I think I read it began around 1982 locally. Deerstalkers and all that. Would that be about right? Brighton seemed to be ahead of a lot of similar sized towns in catching on, mainly, I am led to believe, because of the big club supporting locals.

Weren't Portsmouth the south coast team who really embraced the casual movement early on and in a big way?

Yeah they were pretty fearsome as well, I don't remember exactly when (1983?) but the 657 crew came to brighton out of season in a coach, smashed up a load of pubs and went back home...lol

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
if you pulled a girl in 1984 did you have to write her number down on a scrap of paper and call her landline :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nothing to do with the thread but the Pottings love Eastbourne and think the shops are fab both in the Town Centre and elsewhere - what is the Town Centre lacking?. And when you have had enough of shopping you have a lovely prom to stroll along (although it was a bit draughty on Sunday).

Perhaps I was a little harsh except regarding the area around terminus road. That's an eyesore. However the shopping centre in Eastbourne is maybe a little bland and due sympathetic modernisation. Other than that, I love the town, it's where I was born and eventually returned at the age of 40 after a 38 year absence. I love Brighton equally having spent a large part of my youth there (Seaford where I lived, was not very exciting). I think both towns have improved immeasurably since the 80's.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
1984 was the last year of the foriegn student monopoly. The town was thriving from the masses of foriegn students. Then in 85 there was crime wave targetting the students and students started relocating to Bournemeouth etc. A particular hotspot for crime against students was around the Station.

Yes, Peter Pans was still going and that funny guy with his summer stage for kids to act out their theatrical dreams was still going but it was the beginning of the end of the life I grew up in.

Brighton was still sleepy but for me it was a treasure trove full of ghosts, spirits, hidden doorways, strange old ladies, ageing thespians and a whole underground of risk and adventure for the teenager to discover, including lots of drugs and gorgeous foriegn girls just discovering the meaning of sex and away from their parents for the first time.

The only thing about Brighton at that time that was not unique for me was the Albion.... it was about this time I stopped going as the travelling from Rye, where I was at school, was getting too much.

Brighton of the late seventies and eighties is a special moment, trapped in amber... long gone but still held in my mind's eye.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian and Danish girls suddenly flooding the nightspots during the language school days definitely improved the ambience.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

No Walt, as I've already said, it was around 1980, if not earlier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here