Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What was Brighton like in 1984?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
One of the things that has driven Brightonians out is house prices. In 1987 I bought a flat for £32000, approx three times my wages then. A similar property now would cost around £170000, which is about 6 times the pay of the same grade today.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In 1984 Brighton was still largely populated by born-and-bred Brightonians, or at least people from the surrounding area, and definitely felt like a Sussex coastal town - a kind of amplified Hastings, Eastbourne or Worthing.

I can't find the figures to hand but I'm pretty sure that the last census showed that about 65% of people living in Brighton were born there. We talk to the neighbours we live and the parents of the kids at my children's school and pretty much 100% of them are from Brighton - or very near. You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that Hanover is Brighton.

Yes, there were probably more Brighton-born residents 30 years ago - and more 30 years before that - but you could say the same about lots of places. How many people in London were born there? A lower percentage of natives than Brighton has. I can't find any figures but I bet there has been similar influx of incomers to other southern towns such as Southampton or Reading. People do move around more

One of the things that has driven Brightonians out is house prices. In 1987 I bought a flat for £32000, approx three times my wages then. A similar property now would cost around £170000, which is about 6 times the pay of the same grade today.

But the same could be said of anywhere in the south. A flat I bought in the early 90s in Balham for £75,000 is going for about £700,000 now - about 14 times the pay of a similar job now. That's an example of the craziness of the housing market, nothing to do with Brighton

Back to the original topic, I liked Brighton in 1984. The North Laine area was more fun - I could spend hours looking at vinyl. And there were loads of second-hand bookshops, there are very few now

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
By 1984 I had 2 young children and was already thinking Brighton had become a dump, so, for the following 20 years, avoided going into Town if at all possible, except for Christmas shopping and the kids' annual treat at McDonald's. Then I went to live in Greece and didn't miss Brighton at all but became more homesick as I watched the new stadium being built every day. I went to Hovaboy's sister's hen night in 1981, and their Dad insisted on picking us up, because Brighton at night was so dangerous already. (I was then 30 years old!) Compare that to a decade earlier, when we thought nothing of walking all the way home from Town after the discos had closed, even walking through Hove Park in the dark past midnight. As to the shops, when Churchill Sq first opened, it was the bee's knees. Every Saturday, my friend and I would troop through Town, from Miss Selfridge, to Ziggy's, in and out of all the boutiques, buying very little, but trying on everything. Wonderful days. Maybe it was our age, and maybe it was being Best Friends, but Brighton was a wonderful place at the turn of the 60s/70s, clean, modern and exciting. (Even though I now lament the loss of so many beautiful old buildings.) Hated Kingswest from the start and thought the Brighton Centre was no better.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I remember Brighton had a Gamley's toy shop back in 1984, opposite Churchill Sq.

A proper toy shop, with proper toys :)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It was at the front of the TopWank center facing the sea.
We did some support for reggae bands there, but think it was mostly a disco venue ...

We were doing a reggae 'blues party' the night of the bomb, in either 1st or 2nd avenue..
People started drifting iin, talking about a bomb at the Grand...party bubbled.
News filtered in later that Thatcher was still amongst us, and the vibes died a bit,
and people headed off home.

A hotel in your home town is bombed by IRA terrorists and the party ' bubbled' , and the 'vibes died' when you found out that their attempt to murder a democratically elected prime minister of YOUR country ? you really are a treacherous w anker :tosser:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In 1984 Brighton was still largely populated by born-and-bred Brightonians, or at least people from the surrounding area, and definitely felt like a Sussex coastal town - a kind of amplified Hastings, Eastbourne or Worthing.

These days it's been invaded by people from all over the country and has become its own little enclave - it's lost a lot of its Sussexness as it's got (simultaneously) richer, more bohemian and - let's be honest - more up its own arse.

I've lost count of the number of Brighton relatives and friends who have moved away since the 80s, in most cases because they can't afford to live there, and in a few cases because they no longer want to.

I think the exodus started long before the 80's. Brighton was starting it resurgence in the 80's as people started to come back and as the students from the 70's started to settle.

Granted it has changed, and mainly due to the student influx, but I think those changes have been positive.

Brighton in the 60's really was a dump. Got the family photos to prove that one. The slum clearances of places like Russell Street tried to address that, but unfortunately the misguided planners of the day erected places like Churchill Square. Buildings like the SS Brighton were torn down and replaced with bland structures, and the rot in terms of inward investment set in. To date, Amex is the only truly global business with significant operations in Brighton (Bupa a recent addition, but not that large).

My view is that with a lack if opportunity and a decaying fabric it was in the 60's that people either moved away or were shipped out to Moulescoomb. The advent of the latter one would have thought might bring prosperity to the Lewes Road, and I do remember the place being a little more buzzy when my Gran lived near there in the 70's, but it's never been that good.

A place that was once worth a visit (and let's hope it is again soon) was the Open Market down London Road. I remember that being alive in the 80's, and my father in law used to travel miles to shop there because of the deals etc. I'm hoping that the new market offers something equally attractive yet different.

I really loved 80's Brighton. As a Shoreham lad (and schooled in Worthing) I'd spend as much of my time in Brighton. I just naturally gravitated here. I think it's always been a town that looks like it is helping the police with its enquiries, and I hope that continues.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think the exodus started long before the 80's. Brighton was starting it resurgence in the 80's as people started to come back and as the students from the 70's started to settle.

Granted it has changed, and mainly due to the student influx, but I think those changes have been positive.

Brighton in the 60's really was a dump. Got the family photos to prove that one. The slum clearances of places like Russell Street tried to address that, but unfortunately the misguided planners of the day erected places like Churchill Square. Buildings like the SS Brighton were torn down and replaced with bland structures, and the rot in terms of inward investment set in. To date, Amex is the only truly global business with significant operations in Brighton (Bupa a recent addition, but not that large).

My view is that with a lack if opportunity and a decaying fabric it was in the 60's that people either moved away or were shipped out to Moulescoomb. The advent of the latter one would have thought might bring prosperity to the Lewes Road, and I do remember the place being a little more buzzy when my Gran lived near there in the 70's, but it's never been that good.

A place that was once worth a visit (and let's hope it is again soon) was the Open Market down London Road. I remember that being alive in the 80's, and my father in law used to travel miles to shop there because of the deals etc. I'm hoping that the new market offers something equally attractive yet different.

I really loved 80's Brighton. As a Shoreham lad (and schooled in Worthing) I'd spend as much of my time in Brighton. I just naturally gravitated here. I think it's always been a town that looks like it is helping the police with its enquiries, and I hope that continues.

You nicked that off keith Waterhouse !

About time....

Glasfryn may have been referring to the shopping facilities in Eastbourne, which frankly are in much need of improvement. We'd have had a new town centre were it not for the EU but that's another argument.

Nothing to do with the thread but the Pottings love Eastbourne and think the shops are fab both in the Town Centre and elsewhere - what is the Town Centre lacking?. And when you have had enough of shopping you have a lovely prom to stroll along (although it was a bit draughty on Sunday).

Comet was like going to a clearance warehouse, I think the shop floor was up loads of stairs.

Bought a state of the art (for 1980) ITT Music Centre there for just over a £100, and my vinyl copy of "War of The Worlds" that same day in either Smiths or Boots in the Town.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
s
A hotel in your home town is bombed by IRA terrorists and the party ' bubbled' , and the 'vibes died' when you found out that their attempt to murder a democratically elected prime minister of YOUR country ? you really are a treacherous w anker :tosser:

Its quite easy Bushy...even for you...whilst a lot of people loved Thatcher....I UNDERSTAND that.....a lot of people fecking hated the divisive, warmongering bitch. reflected by the atmosphere of the party....UNDERSTAND THAT.

Whilst, I would love to control peoples 'emotions'...I cant.

So, **** yourself

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wasn't this a live venue?

jg_25_136.jpg

We were doing a reggae 'blues party' the night of the bomb, in either 1st or 2nd avenue..

I WAS LIVING IN 1ST AVENUE THAT NIGHT,THE GUY IN THE FLAT BELOW WAS BAR MANAGER AT THE GRAND AND WENT OFF SHIFT PRIOR TO THE EXPLOSION,JUST HAPPEN TO BE AN IRISH CHAP AND DREW A BIT OF ATTENTION,VERY NICE BLOKE THOUGH.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

I WAS LIVING IN 1ST AVENUE THAT NIGHT,THE GUY IN THE FLAT BELOW WAS BAR MANGER AT THE GRAND AND WENT OFF SHIFT PRIOR TO THE EXPLOSION,JUST HAPPEN TO BE AN IRISH CHAP AND DREW A BIT OF ATTENTION,VERY NICE BLOKE THOUGH.

At first though, the talk was of 'Palestinians', not entirely sure why, rather than the Irish terrorists....

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
One thing I remember from 1984 is someone at school telling me an unfunny racist joke about a girl working in a Chemist's shop.

Fortunately that sort of thing doesn't happen much now...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here