What was Brighton like in 1984?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Bit later than '84 but I can just about remember when the Marina was just boats and a Gateway supermarket - so weird looking back.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
s

Its quite easy Bushy...even for you...whilst a lot of people loved Thatcher....I UNDERSTAND that.....a lot of people fecking hated the divisive, warmongering bitch. reflected by the atmosphere of the party....UNDERSTAND THAT.

Whilst, I would love to control peoples 'emotions'...I cant.

So, **** yourself

The IRA also murdered countless other innocent people , both on the mainland and in northern Ireland , some of them children, like 10 year old Tim parry or 3year old Jonathan ball, and you reveal both your pleasure that they had a success in your home town , and your disappointment that they didnt manage to murder the prime minister, not only that , what about the staff that would've been working in the grand that night ? You really have revealed your true colours here , like i said, treacherous, two bob, w anker :tosser:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

Churchill square HMV store.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
1984 was great, used to skateboard every day from my house in Hove to Churchill SQ (and I mean every day) and hang around with all the resident nutters, West Street Firm, skaters and punks. Gigs at the Richmond, fights every other night and a McDonalds shake on the journey home :) I was 18, didn't really drink alcohol or take drugs but it was a great time. I'd been doing that since pretty much 1982 (minus the shake) I don't think Brighton had a McDonalds till 1983. Moved to America after the summer of 1984 so missed the IRA bombing and when I returned things had already started to change. After that it was all about the Escape club, Zap and the Frock and jacket pub but I miss those old days. Anyone who can remember Chelsea & Tottenham coming to Brighton or who regularly went to the Richmond and saw the Test Tubes, Subhumans etc will know what I mean.......................... Now I feel old :(

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
At first though, the talk was of 'Palestinians', not entirely sure why, rather than the Irish terrorists....

How about bollox, you're insulting the intelligence of anyone who reads this thread if you expect anyone to believe that , you're just backtracking because you realise what a tosspot you look with your statement that the ' party bubbled ' when news filtered through about the bomb , I literally can't believe that you expect people to believe that , is there no terrorist group that kills British soldiers and civilians that you won't support ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The IRA also murdered countless other innocent people , both on the mainland and in northern Ireland , some of them children, like 10 year old Tim parry or 3year old Jonathan ball, and you reveal both your pleasure that they had a success in your home town , and your disappointment that they didnt manage to murder the prime minister, not only that , what about the staff that would've been working in the grand that night ? You really have revealed your true colours here , like i said, treacherous, two bob, w anker :tosser:

Shut up you pompous ****. I have already told you, I am NOT responsible for peoples emotions. I certainly didnt suggest I condoned the attack.
If you want to start another of your....its all the left wing and brown people bullshit threads...start one, and stop hijacking others.

Nobody has 'backtracked' on anything...you tit.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Sorry... Brightonians got 'pushed out' by students? 30 years or so after the University opened, the students pushed the natives out?

The student population that we have in B&H is more to do with the expansion of Brighton & Sussex Universities and it's because of this, landlords recognised that students needed accomodation and so started buying up houses in the central Brighton/Kemptown areas in the early to mid 90's and begun converting them into flats to accomodate their growing population meaning that there were less houses available to buy so people who wanted to buy a house had to move to the outskirts.

My nan lived at Brading Road off Elm Grove and when I was younger most of these properties were lived in by families who'd been in Brighton for generations. However, the last time I went up there many of the properties, including my Nan's had been converted to flats.

Go anywhere around what I call "Old Brighton" (the Queens Park/Elm Grove/Kemptown/Lewes Road areas) you will know that alot of houses are now flats rented out to students.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I remember Brighton had a Gamley's toy shop back in 1984, opposite Churchill Sq.

A proper toy shop, with proper toys :)

Ah, the joys of Saturday morning shopping with kids; Gamleys, then Beatties, then lunch at Uncle Sams with the red spiral staircase by the Clock Tower :unclesam:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
Shut up you pompous ****. I have already told you, I am NOT responsible for peoples emotions. I certainly didnt suggest I personally condoned the attack.

If you want to start another of your....its all the left wing and brown people bullshit threads...start one, and stop hijacking others.

So much for a lighthearted and nostalgic thread on Brighton's past :albion2:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Coasters was the top night out spot in Brighton, it was a lovely hot summer and we got thrashed by the West Indies at cricket. Albion did a pre season tour of Northern Ireland which Ill never forget as well as the financial problems starting to happen

image.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Attrix Records, home of The Piranhas and The Chefs, was run by Rick and Julie Blair out of their shop on the corner of Sydney Street.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The student population that we have in B&H is more to do with the expansion of Brighton & Sussex Universities and it's because of this, landlords recognised that students needed accomodation and so started buying up houses in the central Brighton/Kemptown areas in the early to mid 90's and begun converting them into flats to accomodate their growing population meaning that there were less houses available to buy so people who wanted to buy a house had to move to the outskirts.

My nan lived at Brading Road off Elm Grove and when I was younger most of these properties were lived in by families who'd been in Brighton for generations. However, the last time I went up there many of the properties, including my Nan's had been converted to flats.

Go anywhere around what I call "Old Brighton" (the Queens Park/Elm Grove/Kemptown/Lewes Road areas) you will know that alot of houses are now flats rented out to students.

'Pushed out' implies people having to leave against their own free-will.

I lived in Brading Road in the 1990s. There were hardly any students, if any at all. Many houses have been converted into flats - mine on Brading Road was (in 1972). But that doesn't automatically follow that it was students who lived in them.

The Universities have, for the past 10-15 years, been scaling back their ownership of houses in the city, and are building more accommodation on campus, plus purpose-built projects like the Co-op site in London Road and the new development on Circus Street will also cater for students.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Shut up you pompous ****. I have already told you, I am NOT responsible for peoples emotions. I certainly didnt suggest I condoned the attack.

Course you didn't , that's why you posted this
'
Its quite easy Bushy...even for you...whilst a lot of people loved Thatcher....I UNDERSTAND that.....a lot of people fecking hated the divisive, warmongering bitch ',

and then went back and edited the post , (as usual) to cast yourself in a better light.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Best Shops

there was one on the Clock tower next to boots , queens road side and i think the other shop was called taste and was in the lower floor of Churchill Sqaure.

Haircuts at Freddies.

Saturday night was Coasters night, I remember Rory. we would start the night off in the King and Queen before it got modern and then into the lanes for another bar but i cant for the life of me remember what it was called.

every now and again we would try the Escape Club and then during the summer it would be foreign student night in the Top Rank.

when Coasters closed down we started going to the Gloucester, mainly because you could get in wearing jeans and trainers.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Course you didn't , that's why you posted this
'
Its quite easy Bushy...even for you...whilst a lot of people loved Thatcher....I UNDERSTAND that.....a lot of people fecking hated the divisive, warmongering bitch ',

and then went back and edited the post , (as usual) to cast yourself in a better light.

I didnt like Thatcher...that is QUITE clear to anybody with half a brain you tit.
I do not condone terrorism......you tit.

I edited the post to reflect 'Whilst, I would love to control peoples 'emotions'...I cant.
'
If you want to start another anti leftwing, anti brown people thread.....do it.....stop ****ing up other peoples
threads with your fukry

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports