Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What was better in the 90s than today?

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
The 90s were so much fun. Make a twat of yourself? Doesn't matter, no one is taking pictures and even if they are it won't be developed for 6 months. No one was cool as it didn't have to go on Instagram, ladette culture kicked in and your Mrs was more pissed than you were. All I really remember is being pissed a lot.

I tell you what else was better. Blast away. Diamond white and Castaway in a pint glass. 5 pints and you'd be utterly bollocksed. Tasted like lilt. Now its served as Elvis Juice by some Brewdog Wanker.

Bring back the 90s.
You youngsters...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disagree, there’s some proper shit about these days.
Maybe. But this wasn’t my point, my point was there’s plenty of good music around at the moment.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I came of age in the 90’s so I’m bias but I do believe many things were better.
Some things I liked about the 90’s.

I was a teenager

No issues getting served in pubs

Pubs

Didn’t have to watch every word we said

We were in the EU

The Macarena

Films

TV

Some of my favourite music was being released.

Comedy

No smartphones

New Labour

I had never heard of cholesterol

The western world hasn’t collapsed into a whining, whinging, heap of “safe spaces” and feelings.

Men didn’t feel the need to look like Vikings and women didn’t have faces full of plastic.

Midriffs

Perks at work were a thing

Euro 96

Blockbusters

The Big Breakfast

Dense van Outen

Frankly, the list is endless.

I increasingly feel the world is a toxic dump. I’m sure being in my 40’s has a lot to do with this.

Last edited:

getz

Jan 15, 2010
What I was going to say there is an adaptation of Drop the Dead Donkey at the Theatre Royal next March

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tolerance. You could express reservations (just reservations that is, not even objections) about matters social or political without fear of being berated by all and sundry as a fascist, a racist, a homophobe, a sexist, a misogynist, a xenophobe .................... or even a Palace fan!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Clubbing and raves. Every one was loved up back then , now its just marching powder, booze and fights
I've never seen a fight in Ibiza in the last few years. But Ibiza was still better back in the day. The camera phone is an awful thing for night time events.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never seen a fight in Ibiza in the last few years. But Ibiza was still better back in the day. The camera phone is an awful thing for night time events.
Some clubs and venues over here ban the use of mobile phones. Many clubs put a sticker over your phone lens and tell you not to use it. You do, you’re out.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Football

Watching the Becks documentary and seeing the real madrid team (yes I know that was very early 2000s) got me trying to explain to my wife how exciting Champions League nights used to be as you would talk all day at school (born 86) about that evenings match and then set up in front of the TV for every second of the build up if someone like Real Madrid, Barca etc was on.

Add into that, Football Italia. Glorious.

The ease at which we can watch football now and the domination in the transfer market of the PL has meant watching the big boys of Europe has lost a lot of it's excitement and sadly diluted things like the world cup etc as we get to see these players all the time.
But.....but....Brighton weren't in the champion's league. ???

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Some clubs and venues over here ban the use of mobile phones. Many clubs put a sticker over your phone lens and tell you not to use it. You do, you’re out.

I've seen this at villa parties and the cave but never at a club. Is this one of your grandpa clubs ? ;)

Sorry misread thought you said Ibiza clubs

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Of course there was, but not as much as these days.
I would argue there is far more good music these days than at any other time. You simply need to know where to find it.

I have scratched my head and can't think of anything that was sufficiently better in the 90s to constitute something important. Pretty much everything I have seen that people claim was better then is illusory. Politics? No. At least a light shines on the shitters (like that arse, Bone, recently) these days. We have even seen two PMs slung out by their own party. Back then you could be a gold plated **** in 'private' and get away with it, and (militant aside) party members always closed rank.

Nostalgia is seductive, like morphine and chips.

OK, one thing that was better (less bad) was traffic congestion. I would add that travelling by train on those lovely slam door efforts was better and my commute to London was faster, but that was largely a matter of demand and, with no CCTV, there was constant vandalism of the seats, and the lavs were cleaned once a month whether they were covered in shit and piss or not :facepalm:

Look, there is a reason why nobody has come back in time from the future in a time machine. It's because the past is largely shit by comparison, smellier, gruntier, more violent and uncomfortable than now in every respect. Why would anyone bother?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
We were in the EU
Weren't we all
IMG_3408.jpeg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I would argue there is far more good music these days than at any other time. You simply need to know where to find it.

I have scratched my head and can't think of anything that was sufficiently better in the 90s to constitute something important. Pretty much everything I have seen that people claim was better then is illusory. Politics? No. At least a light shines on the shitters (like that arse, Bone, recently) these days. We have even seen two PMs slung out by their own party. Back then you could be a gold plated **** in 'private' and get away with it, and (militant aside) party members always closed rank.

Nostalgia is seductive, like morphine and chips.

OK, one thing that was better (less bad) was traffic congestion. I would add that travelling by train on those lovely slam door efforts was better and my commute to London was faster, but that was largely a matter of demand and, with no CCTV, there was constant vandalism of the seats, and the lavs were cleaned once a month whether they were covered in shit and piss or not :facepalm:

Look, there is a reason why nobody has come back in time from the future in a time machine. It's because the past is largely shit by comparison, smellier, gruntier, more violent and uncomfortable than now in every respect. Why would anyone bother?
I had to read that a couple of times to decipher the arse Bone part. 😳 Weirdly he’s out local MP and hope that’s the last we see of him.

I’m still going for music in the 90’s were better for me. Since lockdown I’ve been been going through the book 1001 albums you must listen to before you die and has taken me 3 years up to now to get listen to the each album. I’m up to 2007 at the moment and finding it increasingly difficult to wade through them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had to read that a couple of times to decipher the arse Bone part. 😳 Weirdly he’s out local MP and hope that’s the last we see of him.

I’m still going for music in the 90’s were better for me. Since lockdown I’ve been been going through the book 1001 albums you must listen to before you die and has taken me 3 years up to now to get listen to the each album. I’m up to 2007 at the moment and finding it increasingly difficult to wade through them.
Did I miss off a comma before 'arse'. Done that far too many times, with inevitable hilarious consequences.

Well, as you may have noticed I am a bit peculiar, and over the last 10 years, first with short-lived websites then with youtube and its algorithm, I am inundated with new music and listen on average to ten new tracks a day, nine of which I will love. I would say that when I was younger I was always on the look out for epic tracks, and the habit of bands releasing LPs with a filler track as the second to last on each side, and other bits of slapdash tomfoolery, left me constantly disappointed, and therefore in a perfect place for the modern day constant stream of good tracks (to my ear) via Youtube. I don't mind artists with 'one' sound because my usual playback mode is random :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here