Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What was better in the 90s than today?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Did I miss off a comma before 'arse'. Done that far too many times, with inevitable hilarious consequences.

Well, as you may have noticed I am a bit peculiar, and over the last 10 years, first with short-lived websites then with youtube and its algorithm, I am inundated with new music and listen on average to ten new tracks a day, nine of which I will love. I would say that when I was younger I was always on the look out for epic tracks, and the habit of bands releasing LPs with a filler track as the second to last on each side, and other bits of slapdash tomfoolery, left me constantly disappointed, and therefore in a perfect place for the modern day constant stream of good tracks (to my ear) via Youtube. I don't mind artists with 'one' sound because my usual playback mode is random :thumbsup:
You didn’t miss the comma, I missed the comma. I have comma blindness.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sussex CCC
Sussex spent much of the 90s struggling as much as they do now. It was noughties where those wistful memories are trapped.

Hard to forget reaching the September final in 1993 and losing despite posting a record score.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You didn’t miss the comma, I missed the comma. I have comma blindness.
See, this is how my mind works. I immediately thought 'Coma Lies'. And here is a lovely track from that lovely album.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I went to a drum and bass show with my son last week (Koven). The music was good and Koven was very good. The crowd however were a bit shit, drum and bass crowds were much better.

Also I struggle with the lack of DJing, just playing/singing along to a premade backing track doesn't seem right to me.

Still they all seemed to enjoy it so what do I know.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Dare I say it . . . The world . . . & Nationally, Politicians, yes, even Thatcher seems like a birthday present by comparison with todays fucktards.

. . . . House prices were much better, compared to income, still hard work though. . No interweb ( for most of it) so IMO, social life and mental wellbeing were in a far better place. And people weren't such c*nts to each other . . .

In short, the world was a smaller nicer place.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No 20/20 cric ket
Post arrived at 7.30 before i left for work
Youngsters did not carry knives
Drivers were less agressive
Policeman on the beat.
Very few repeats on BBC

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dare I say it . . . The world . . . & Nationally, Politicians, yes, even Thatcher seems like a birthday present by comparison with todays fucktards.

. . . . House prices were much better, compared to income, still hard work though. . No interweb ( for most of it) so IMO, social life and mental wellbeing were in a far better place. And people weren't such c*nts to each other . . .

This. I'd forgotten that, having shimmied up the ladder myself.

That's the great rebalancing. Putting the proles back to where they were in the 1930s :wrong:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

The internet for those few years before social media was the best. You still had chatrooms and messenger apps (ICQ, MSN, Yahoo etc.) to give you some social interaction but you'd have to actively connect and it wasn't constantly there. Websites were much simpler and just gave you the information you needed without trying to ram adverts down your throat or getting you to "subscribe for more".

Don't get me wrong, the speed of dial-up sucked, along with the times my parents picked up the phone downstairs and cut me off. I definitely wouldn't want to go back to that. Late 90s/early 00s internet combined with today's connection speed but still being forced to connect manually would be ideal.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The 90s were so much fun. Make a twat of yourself? Doesn't matter, no one is taking pictures and even if they are it won't be developed for 6 months. No one was cool as it didn't have to go on Instagram, ladette culture kicked in and your Mrs was more pissed than you were. All I really remember is being pissed a lot.

I tell you what else was better. Blast away. Diamond white and Castaway in a pint glass. 5 pints and you'd be utterly bollocksed. Tasted like lilt. Now its served as Elvis Juice by some Brewdog Wanker.

Bring back the 90s.
The nights I spent on blastaway in the planet nightclub in Coventry during my uni days were a mess. All sorts went on, as you say the girls were as bad as the boys and we all had a great time. No evidence. Any dodgy photos were removed by the chemist anyway. Why did we go to the chemist to get photos developed?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The rave scene.
Helter Skelter, Dreamscape, World Dance, Fusion, Stern's, Origin.
The Sanctuary was my second home, particularly the Technodrome, had some mental nights and made some great memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here