Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What tips would you give a 21-year-old you?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Cheat,lie,steal,rob,be two faced,only think of yourself,help nobody unless you stand to gain from it,walk over those weaker than you,suck up to those more powerful than you,feel no remorse,rip people off ......... because I have tried living my life the complete opposite to this and have got nowhere while watching total A-holes get richer and richer.

Richer financially? Not worth much in the long run.

Your life isn't over yet, you may yet see the rewards to living life how you have done,

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
And this from someone who posted last week about his teaching of children. . . . There is so much useful advice on here, which is what the post was seeking, and you post this . . .
he was being satirical I suspect and the view was not totally detached from aspects of reality

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Cheat,lie,steal,rob,be two faced,only think of yourself,help nobody unless you stand to gain from it,walk over those weaker than you,suck up to those more powerful than you,feel no remorse,rip people off ......... because I have tried living my life the complete opposite to this and have got nowhere while watching total A-holes get richer and richer.

I suspect most of those A holes will either come a cropper or have a road to Damascus. You cannot over rate the ability to sleep at night knowing you've never turned anyone over.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
he was being satirical I suspect and the view was not totally detached from aspects of reality

I appreciate that there may have been an element of satire. I say "may" because of other posts from said correspondent. And, there may be a grain of truth to what he says. That is hardly the point - it is still unnecessary and quite exaggerated. If you had children at his school, would you be totally comfortable about such advice given, satirical or not, when you had asked a sensible question.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
You're 21 now, your metabolism is about to stabilise and you're going to 'fill out'; try eating more fruit and vegetables and less pizza or you WILL get a bit fat. Try running, you might find you enjoy it.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm confident that some of the aged, myself included, could offer great volumes of sound advice to 21 year olds. However it's virtually useless because when most are 21 they (myself included once again) know everything already.
It's only decades later perhaps, when you've dropped into a lower gear you realise that far from everything you actually knew not much at all.
But it's life, and though the smart youngsters might take some advice from those that had to learn the hard way (there I am again) mostly we all need to learn by making our own mistakes. In a nutshell we humans aren't as smart as we think we are. ???

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I appreciate that there may have been an element of satire. I say "may" because of other posts from said correspondent. And, there may be a grain of truth to what he says. That is hardly the point - it is still unnecessary and quite exaggerated. If you had children at his school, would you be totally comfortable about such advice given, satirical or not, when you had asked a sensible question.
teachers are there to teach academic subjects. They are perfectly entitled to give their take on life without being criticised for it, provided it's legal

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Get into I.T.

I've only been an I.T. professional for two years and my work life has improved immeasurably. I could have been doing it for nearly ten years if I'd started at 21.

Oh, and, when you're 23 or so you're going to dump an awesome girl because you thought your band was going to make it big and you didn't want to be tied down. The band won't make it big and she really is godamn awesome so don't be a tool.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Get into I.T.

I've only been an I.T. professional for two years and my work life has improved immeasurably. I could have been doing it for nearly ten years if I'd started at 21.

Oh, and, when you're 23 or so you're going to dump an awesome girl because you thought your band was going to make it big and you didn't want to be tied down. The band won't make it big and she really is godamn awesome so don't be a tool.
your band did not make it because you were too nerdy and that girl would have dumped you anyway

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
For me, it would be don't worry about your girlfriend dumping you. You will find out 27 years later (from her sister) that she has messed up her life, hurt everyone around her and that you had a very luck escape.

Other than that, my 21 year old self would not have listened to a word todays 48 year old would have said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here