Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What tips would you give a 21-year-old you?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
There is a Dutch saying "the fifth day is for your future"

"Even if there are times when it seems like Brighton will inconceivably be in the ascendancy, not even £200m of vanity investment will put an end to the constant stream of humiliation your club will subject them to"

Try not to injure yourself laughing, when a geographically challenged footie fan imagines that you've been humiliated. Unless of course you are equally so sad that you too incessantly find yourself visiting another team's football forum to leave the latest Chav Report. :amex:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Like others have already said, I'd tell my 21 year old self that I could afford to buy and rent out flats in zone 2 in London, despite earning about £3 an hour in a supermarket. I'd also tell myself to save some of the money I earned rather than spend it all.

Reminds me of one of my favourite poems - Burnt Norton by TS Eliot

Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden.

Oh, and maybe read less poetry and go and get on with stuff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The thing is: you can tell your 21-year-old self anything you like; will he/she listen to you?

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard a wise man say,
“Give crowns and pounds and guineas
But not your heart away;
Give pearls away and rubies
But keep your fancy free.”
But I was one-and-twenty,
No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
I heard him say again,
“The heart out of the bosom
Was never given in vain;
’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
And sold for endless rue.”
And I am two-and-twenty,
And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If you meet anyone who's best life lesson is about property investment, give them a wide berth immediately.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it was on my 21st birthday I would have said 'don't get married in two weeks time. Stay where you are, as you're enjoying a good life'
The problem is that I still wouldn't have listened.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd say - "when your girlfriend's flat mate joined you to watch a bit of TV with you and your girlfriend in her bedroom, she wasn't interested in just watching TV you DUMB ****!"

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If you don't do it you will regret it for the rest of your life. Personally, if I could go back 40 years I wouldn't change a thing, although a bet that Albion would make the cup final in 83 would set me up financially for life.
Just remember, today is the day that you'll look back on and say "those were the days".

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Find out what you want to do and then set about doing everything you can do to achieve it, it'll be worth it.

Treat everyone as you'd wish to be treated.

Life owes you nothing, don't leave you future in the hands of others go grab it and secure it yourself.

You're not a failure, you just failed in some academic aspects as a kid, don't use this as an excuse to ruin your adult life, Find out what you need and go and get it, take all your early adult life experiences as just that, experience. Work hard, be nice and show true worth to others.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Jevs thread on rent got me thinking... there is a lot of wisdom and life experience on this board, and maybe we could help out the younger members of this forum. So if you could go back and see yourself at 21, what advice/tips would you give for the future? Might be about finance, travel, work, families, girlfriends etc

I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say.

Use sunscreen! :p

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
take drugs, drop out and die young because if you get old you will be left to stew in your own juice while someone eats up your life savings FACT!

Guerrero

Jul 17, 2010
Near Alicante.Spain
Cheat,lie,steal,rob,be two faced,only think of yourself,help nobody unless you stand to gain from it,walk over those weaker than you,suck up to those more powerful than you,feel no remorse,rip people off ......... because I have tried living my life the complete opposite to this and have got nowhere while watching total A-holes get richer and richer.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Cheat,lie,steal,rob,be two faced,only think of yourself,help nobody unless you stand to gain from it,walk over those weaker than you,suck up to those more powerful than you,feel no remorse,rip people off ......... because I have tried living my life the complete opposite to this and have got nowhere while watching total A-holes get richer and richer.

And this from someone who posted last week about his teaching of children. . . . There is so much useful advice on here, which is what the post was seeking, and you post this . . .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here