Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the f*ck has happened to SCCC?

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I don't disagree that it's hard for Sussex to compete against the test-hosting counties, but then Somerset haven't got it easy either, and they seem to be managing it fine.

To my mind, the biggest problem with Sussex for some time has been complacency. Many people I've spoken with about it have seen a rot setting in - each season for the past four or five we've moved back from the pinnacle, yet the annual reviews have been peppered with positives.
When we went down, rather than a root-and-branch review, and some freshening in the team & squad, we promoted from within for Head Coach (Davis), then made Keith Greenfield Director of Cricket and appointed as Captain someone who wasn't going to be available for half the season, and clearly prefers making money out of the 20/20 game to plotting a CC D1 return for Sussex.

On top of this, we were crying out for a batting coach to pull the junior players through and give them the confidence to perform. Instead we bring in Murray Goodwin for a couple of months at the start of the season, and then question when it all falls apart after he leaves.

The biggest problem is at the top - Toumazi. I can't see any drive, ambition or challenge, just a rather self-congratulating Chief Exec who has chosen to surround himself with yes-men. Until he goes, I can't see anything picking up sadly.

Gone thank heavens

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here