Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the f*ck has happened to SCCC?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
That's not the team we have now: Yards, Prior and Hobden :cry: are in it. It's last year's team ... or even the year before

EDIT: It also shows that we have a coaching staff of 10 - that's not exactly a small number. The question is: what do they all do because none of them is looking at the batting

Blimey! Sussex cricketeers change faster than my underwear.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
We've got some promising young bowlers coming through which is a good thing. We'll need to pick up a couple of solid batsmen for next summer to fill the middle order. Nash and Wells opening are reasonably solid, Wright at 5 and Brown at 7 are adequate. We're short of a number 3, 4 and 6. One of those slots could be filled with an overseas player like Taylor which leaves us in the market for a couple of tough, gnarled professional batsmen who don't give their wickets away, two modern day Bill Atheys would be perfect.

Ben Brown has been batting at least one place too high at number 6 for most of the season. He is batting at number 4 in this game.

And there lies the problem... Not enough good quality and consistent batsmen.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Division 1
Middlesex
Yorkshire
Somerset
Surrey
Warwickshire
Durham
Lancashire
Hampshire
Nottinghamshire

Take out Somerset and what do the others have in common, and there is your answer

With the exception of Durham, they all have only 1 's' in their names.

Sussex has 3 's's. That's at least 1 too many.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think Sussex have a bit of a history of enjoying their cricket but more recently they actually won things. This was never going to continue as the financial base is just not there. We have over the years though had some very entertaining cricketers as Brighton and the surrounding area is a nice place to live and play cricket. Of course now things are getting a bit more serious and cricketers are being paid serious money. We are finding our rightful place but hopefully we can find a jewel or two and challenge for something. As has been said earlier we have been holding our own in the Div 2 of the Championship and we have suffered from injuries.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I think Sussex have a bit of a history of enjoying their cricket but more recently they actually won things. This was never going to continue as the financial base is just not there. We have over the years though had some very entertaining cricketers as Brighton and the surrounding area is a nice place to live and play cricket. Of course now things are getting a bit more serious and cricketers are being paid serious money. We are finding our rightful place but hopefully we can find a jewel or two and challenge for something. As has been said earlier we have been holding our own in the Div 2 of the Championship and we have suffered from injuries.

Very well put. aND WHAT A DECADE IT WAS.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
That's total bollocks: FHP has played 3 games, Salt has played 2, Davis and Haines have played one each - that's not "a few chances".

The only one who has played a few games is Finch, who has played 12 and averages just under 34 - that's pretty respectable for someone just starting out, He was beginning to look really settled before he broke his thumb

Really? Feels like they've played more than that, but i'm not doubting you. Finch's average has been spruced up by runs against the students tho, and i believe most of them have played a fair few one-dayers.
Wouldn't it be great if one of them stood up tomorrow and saw us to victory. It seems like only Archer has it in him to do that, at this stage, and to a lesser extent Whittingham.
I'm all for young players, but i do think the number of them should be whittled down next year.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Lewry,Goodwin,Kirtley and the list goes on. You are correct.

Not forgetting RMJ. I always felt he was massively under rated. Monty and Muzza were a strong opening pair in those years, and the only weak link was Tony Cottey. He was awful.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
The same thing that happened to the CCCP. Except rather than a Bloc Collapse, maybe a Batting Collapse. Got bowled over. Either way, I'm just as stumped as you.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really? Feels like they've played more than that, but i'm not doubting you. Finch's average has been spruced up by runs against the students tho, and i believe most of them have played a fair few one-dayers. .

Finch also scored a ton against Pakistan, that's a pretty good indicator of how good he can be. I do agree that Finch has played a few one-dayers but he's done pretty well in them. Salt has played a few as well and he hasn't done badly either. You may be right and they won't make it (although I think Finch looks OK and Haines is meant to be a real talent) but it's too early to write them off just yet.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Finch also scored a ton against Pakistan, that's a pretty good indicator of how good he can be. I do agree that Finch has played a few one-dayers but he's done pretty well in them. Salt has played a few as well and he hasn't done badly either. You may be right and they won't make it (although I think Finch looks OK and Haines is meant to be a real talent) but it's too early to write them off just yet.

Ok but two or three of those of youngsters should be looking to winsome games for Sussex in 2017, make some headlines and be in the mix for a lions tour. Good to hear some fans have faith though and with little money what else can the club do but hope the young players develop well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good to hear some fans have faith though and with little money what else can the club do but hope the young players develop well.

Exactly.

And Finch and Garton have both played for England U-19, Finch in particular doing well. I'm sure that not all will make it but Sussex have given them their chances this year, thanks to injuries, and it's a chance to show what they can do.

Hope they do something today, want to get down there this afternoon. Please don't collapse (he says, more in hope than expectation)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
That's not the team we have now: Yards, Prior and Hobden :cry: are in it. It's last year's team ... or even the year before

EDIT: It also shows that we have a coaching staff of 10 - that's not exactly a small number. The question is: what do they all do because none of them is looking at the batting
Looks like two years ago. In that photo there are 5 full time cricket coaches, 2 fitness trainers and 2 physios. The cricket coaches were responsible for coaching from U17/Academy through to 1st XI. All five are capable coaches of cricket batting. Admittedly not Graham Gooch, Mahela Jayawardene or Mark Ramprakash - but those guys would be very expensive to recruit.

Success in county cricket is predictable largely by money available and players in catchment area.

Players win cricket matches not coaches or captains. Chris Adams could captain the current Sussex side with Mike Brearley talking to him through an earpiece and it would make little difference to the outcome of a match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looks like two years ago. In that photo there are 5 full time cricket coaches, 2 fitness trainers and 2 physios. The cricket coaches were responsible for coaching from U17/Academy through to 1st XI. All five are capable coaches of cricket batting. Admittedly not Graham Gooch, Mahela Jayawardene or Mark Ramprakash - but those guys would be very expensive to recruit.

Success in county cricket is predictable largely by money available and players in catchment area.

Players win cricket matches not coaches or captains. Chris Adams could captain the current Sussex side with Mike Brearley talking to him through an earpiece and it would make little difference to the outcome of a match.

Spot on. The amazing squad of Goodwin & all the others gradually retired, leaving too much youth, locally sourced maybe's and the mediocre. The demise of the club was then inevitable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here