Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What the f*ck has happened to SCCC?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I started supporting the county in the 60s when, the two Gillette Cup wins aside (in the early 60s and I was just too young for them), we were pretty dire. The county was terribly badly run (the decision-makers being rather remote from the playing staff to say the least), the county ground was moribund and depressing, the finances were shocking and there was an air of stoic defeatism hanging over the club. After all the strides we've made subsequently - under Barclay and of course Adams - it would be horrible to think that we might sink back into this scenario. It would be a bit like the Albion sinking back into the 3rd Division (South) or playing their games at Withdean again.
Sorry - the thread has got me down!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Sadly, SCCC has lacked a grand ambition and has gradually frittered away the Cama legacy on incremental improvements to the County Ground. To sustain its success of a decade ago, the club really needed a new arena to rival the Rosebowl, Chester-Le-Street etc. The bold move would have been to have gone for Village Way South, with a view to creating a closer relationship with the the Albion, given the huge existing and potential overlap in customer base - but that is probably not realistic.

A move from the CG would inevitably be politically challenging wherever the new site is, but without it, the club is destined to be much as it has been for most of its history - one of the major county strugglers.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I don't disagree that it's hard for Sussex to compete against the test-hosting counties, but then Somerset haven't got it easy either, and they seem to be managing it fine.

To my mind, the biggest problem with Sussex for some time has been complacency. Many people I've spoken with about it have seen a rot setting in - each season for the past four or five we've moved back from the pinnacle, yet the annual reviews have been peppered with positives.
When we went down, rather than a root-and-branch review, and some freshening in the team & squad, we promoted from within for Head Coach (Davis), then made Keith Greenfield Director of Cricket and appointed as Captain someone who wasn't going to be available for half the season, and clearly prefers making money out of the 20/20 game to plotting a CC D1 return for Sussex.

On top of this, we were crying out for a batting coach to pull the junior players through and give them the confidence to perform. Instead we bring in Murray Goodwin for a couple of months at the start of the season, and then question when it all falls apart after he leaves.

The biggest problem is at the top - Toumazi. I can't see any drive, ambition or challenge, just a rather self-congratulating Chief Exec who has chosen to surround himself with yes-men. Until he goes, I can't see anything picking up sadly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't disagree that it's hard for Sussex to compete against the test-hosting counties, but then Somerset haven't got it easy either, and they seem to be managing it fine.

To my mind, the biggest problem with Sussex for some time has been complacency. Many people I've spoken with about it have seen a rot setting in - each season for the past four or five we've moved back from the pinnacle, yet the annual reviews have been peppered with positives.
When we went down, rather than a root-and-branch review, and some freshening in the team & squad, we promoted from within for Head Coach (Davis), then made Keith Greenfield Director of Cricket and appointed as Captain someone who wasn't going to be available for half the season, and clearly prefers making money out of the 20/20 game to plotting a CC D1 return for Sussex.

On top of this, we were crying out for a batting coach to pull the junior players through and give them the confidence to perform. Instead we bring in Murray Goodwin for a couple of months at the start of the season, and then question when it all falls apart after he leaves.

The biggest problem is at the top - Toumazi. I can't see any drive, ambition or challenge, just a rather self-congratulating Chief Exec who has chosen to surround himself with yes-men. Until he goes, I can't see anything picking up sadly.

There's a lot of truth in this. As I said earlier, we have a rich crop of kids coming through now - one of the best I can remember in 50 years of watching Sussex - but I don't get the impression of a happy ship.

I posted last week that Wright's appointment was a poor one and I think that the captain should be the first change. We need to find a gritty batsman, probably from one of the northern counties, who can score runs and give our team a good kicking. After that. find a proper batting coach and we could start getting somewhere

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The need for a batting coach is paramount. Players like Machin, Salt, Hudson-Prentice and Finch clearly need help, support and guidance to bridge the significant gap between second XI cricket and Championship cricket and they are clearly not getting it. It's not good enough to just throw them into the first team and let them sink or swim against bowlers who are often of international standard. And as for the dream team of Toumazi and Davis - they were last seen together round the back of the Pavillion yesterday late in the dark afternoon as Sussex wickets tumbled against West Indian pace bowler Cummings.....they clearly didn't want to witness the consequences of their incompetence.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I think one of the things that is being disregarded is the drop in the talent that has come through the academy in the last 5 years or so.

Yes the Championship winning sides had Mushy and Murray Goodwin but they were built on excellent locally born and raised, good level county pros. We seem to be a bit too reliant on rehabilitating other counties misfits and not bringing through enough quality of our own.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Not one of the young batsmen have done anything to suggest they're anything special . They've had quite a few chances now

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
why did Goodwin go? can someone fill me in?

He had a poor final season in 2012 and was released. Glamorgan snapped him up quickly and he had 2 seasons there.

I know a colts coach who coaches one of the age groups for Sussex and Goodwin was seething at the way he was treated though by the county apparently.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not one of the young batsmen have done anything to suggest they're anything special . They've had quite a few chances now

That's total bollocks: FHP has played 3 games, Salt has played 2, Davis and Haines have played one each - that's not "a few chances".

The only one who has played a few games is Finch, who has played 12 and averages just under 34 - that's pretty respectable for someone just starting out, He was beginning to look really settled before he broke his thumb

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Thanks Man of Sussex but that was not my question. Further back on this thread someone mentioned that Godwin was appointed batting coach but left 2 months later.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Reverse the batting order .
What happened to the Blackstone Accadamy.

Hove is nice little old ground but they need a bigger ground so we can host at least one day internationals.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Who's on the verge of winning his 3rd county championship title with Yorkshire, on top of the one he won with Sussex, been awarded his county cap by them and just signed a new 2 year deal. He's never looked back.

You sure? Made a pig's ear of their 1st innings yesterday, so look as though they are going to have to beat leaders Middlesex at Lords to win it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You sure? Made a pig's ear of their 1st innings yesterday, so look as though they are going to have to beat leaders Middlesex at Lords to win it.

I am about the county cap and the contract. As for the championship, we'll see.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Have a look at the players we had 13 years ago.

Have a look at the players we have now.

227179.jpg

sussex-ccc-2014.jpg

I have..................................are they celebrities?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's not the team we have now: Yards, Prior and Hobden :cry: are in it. It's last year's team ... or even the year before

EDIT: It also shows that we have a coaching staff of 10 - that's not exactly a small number. The question is: what do they all do because none of them is looking at the batting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here