Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What striker in on loan

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Gus's record when it comes to loan strikers is appalling - billy paynter, Sam vokes, Chris wood to a lesser degree. I am preparing myself to be underwhelmed and hoping that Gus breaks his duck.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
John Guidetti from Man City - we'd do very well to get him down here.

Realistically - we just need back up/cover for Ulloa.

That wouldn't be the most outrageous call i don't think because Mancini isn't giving him playing time and he would only lose him for the end part of the season in which he doesn't have anything to win. Play offs really mature a player so he might be keen to give him the chance for a unique experience. Safe to say if we got him we are as good as promoted.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
Gus's record when it comes to loan strikers is appalling - billy paynter, Sam vokes, Chris wood to a lesser degree. I am preparing myself to be underwhelmed and hoping that Gus breaks his duck.

i think now is more likely than ever because we have a real chance of promotion this season and look a much better side who can compete with the top teams. Lets hope this is the start of some new luck with loan signings.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Only one of those 3 was appalling, what you on about? Vokes was pretty good, and Chris Wood was very good.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barnes could revert to being an out and out striker, I think he'd do well with Ulloa given a bit of game time. Having said that I hope we sign a player who already knows the British game, we haven't really got the games left to get another latin who has to take a few games to adjust imo. Who that would be I have no idea, Zamora is clutching at straws no?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Thought Bobby had an ankle injury and couldn't play at the weekend.

With what's at stake this season so far, I think we must splash the cash a bit otherwise our season might fizzle out again. It's worth a gamble IMO.

There has to be a suitable forward out there who's not getting first team football. Doesn't there? Or is it just wishful thinking?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
When does MLS have it's break? Now? A flair US international could be just the ticket for a month or so at an attractive club.
I was saying THIS in the car last night, I know it's a long shot but for the sake of eleven games and a potential Play Off, how about Robbie Keane.

The only problem is we only play one up......

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Only one of those 3 was appalling, what you on about? Vokes was pretty good, and Chris Wood was very good.

Vokes 3 goals in 15 apps, Wood 9 goals in 31 apps. I don't consider Vokes record here to be good at all, Wood was much better, 4 of those goals were pens so overall it was OK. He's improved a lot since he left but I stand by what I said, Gus's record at getting decent strikers here in loan has been poor.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Vokes 3 goals in 15 apps, Wood 9 goals in 31 apps. I don't consider Vokes record here to be good at all, Wood was much better, 4 of those goals were pens so overall it was OK. He's improved a lot since he left but I stand by what I said, Gus's record at getting decent strikers here in loan has been poor.

You realise they were brought in as target men, i.e. Heskey type players to bring CMS etc into the game? Anyone who judges strikers like that solely on goals is being daft.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
Simeon Jackson seems realistic enough, but as fantastic as it would to see him in an Albion shirt again, Zamora just isn't - if he's fit, he'll feature for QPR, and shirley Redknapp won't let him go at this stage of the season and with so much to play for.

I could see Gus approaching former Chelsea buddy Steve Clarke and borrowing one of West Brom's three out-of-favour strikers - Markus Rosenberg, Marc-Antoine Fortune or even Odemwingie.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
There was some strong talk during the transfer window about Sebba Fernandez off malaga. He sits on the bench every game and gets the ocassional half hour or so. I thought at the time it was a bit of a long shot but there was genuine interest on both sides with malaga also happy to let him go to at least trim some of his wages down. Ot wpuld be incredible if we got him but i'd definately go for him again. If not, a player like simeon jackson would be a shout. Good to see people suggesting John Guidetti aswell, i suggested him a while back and i think he'd score hat full's at this level

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
What? Striker in on loan?

We need a team looking to charge us £8k a week in borrowing someone, themselves covering the rest of it, really. We tended to rent these part-bullocks, and as necessary as it is to be strong in this division, then maybe a bit of pace could be a reasonable alternative in the form of a relative youngster. They learn easy, although are a risk. Saying that, so are the bullocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here