Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What should UEFA do with Celtic.....if anything more?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Irish Nationalism does not stem from someone being Catholic. There are plenty of Protestants who wanted Ireland to be an independent nation. The religion really has nothing to do with it. I doubt any of them even go to church anyway.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Irish Nationalism does not stem from someone being Catholic. There are plenty of Protestants who wanted Ireland to be an independent nation. The religion really has nothing to do with it. I doubt any of them even go to church anyway.

religion hasn't got anything to do with it???

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

not enough,evidently

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Your missing the point, if you look at IRELAND as a whole Island, then you see a different picture. Its like Sussex should be part of France cos they prefer to be French.

just because it's an island it doesn't mean it should be one country?

we have to put up with the Welsh & Scots

Last edited:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
3million people in the whole of Ireland would like to see a united Ireland, thats more than a few hundred thousand in the north. I guess you would have said the same thing to Mandela. Give up, move on ?

Would the people of the Irish Republic really want to be united with all the problems of the north? I can't provide a link but I'm sure the answer was no when it was last asked.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
just because it's an island it doesn't mean it should be one country?

with have to put up with the Welsh & Scots
Scotland and Wales are happy to be part of the UK with there own identities. Scotland, as we know are about to vote on this issue soon. The Irish constitution states that the 6 counties of the North should be part of a united Ireland, and is still the policy that they should try to achieve.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Scotland and Wales are happy to be part of the UK with there own identities. Scotland, as we know are about to vote on this issue soon. The Irish constitution states that the 6 counties of the North should be part of a united Ireland, and is still the policy that they should try to achieve.

the Scots & Welsh are happy to be part of the UK

anyone ask the English what they think?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Protestant population was brought in the 19th Century by Britain. If there was a vote for the from the whole of Ireland for a united Country, it would obviously win.

Where do you get your information....thickopedia?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Why "thickopedia"? Dangull isn't that far out. Admittedly the protestant population was mainly planted in the 17th/18th century rather than the 19th, but I think an island of Ireland vote would result in a united country. It will be interesting if Scotland votes for independence; will it leave the Unionist population in N.Ireland isolated from their Scottish roots?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Would the people of the Irish Republic really want to be united with all the problems of the north? I can't provide a link but I'm sure the answer was no when it was last asked.

Polls suggest a referendum would be supported but that's without any campaign and with an awful lot of people very insulated from the realities of life on the ground in NI ("peace walls" and similar are absolute alien territory for most) and the economic situation. If (there's no legal need for one - NI has the absolute right to self-determine under the Belfast Agreement) a referendum in the Republic was held there would almost certainly be quite a bit of a No campaign. In particular, UKIP are already experienced in funding referendum campaigns here - they ran a 'vote No for us' style campaign on an EU treaty at one point; and I could see them and similar groups in the UK getting involved.

Reality of the situation is that even with the demographic shift in NI, which has become faster than expected - its now 48% declaring as Protestant to 45% as Catholic in the census - there is unlikely to ever be support for a referendum there. Quite a lot of Catholics either don't care or actively don't want reunification anyway.

Feb 14, 2010

Historically you are correct as Wolf Tone would have testified to. But socially and economically the Irish remained Catholic whilst England and Scotland became Protestant. Then when the Scottish plantations took hold and the Scottish and English settlers moved in, there was the divide between the settlers and the Irish. The real divide was between the new and the old but the religion was an added factor. The fact that the divide is still there to this day just goes to show how slowly Ireland moves in comparison to London. But as anywhere, most people dont really know, or care and just want a nice life and its why young Irish people always have and continue to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here