Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] What Makes You A Dullard ?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
When I watch films or TV and there is a record player/turntable, I always try to identify the cartridge being used on it. I get a bit grumpy if it is a very basic ceramic cartridge but the sound comming out if is amazing and unrelistic. Not sure if that makes me a dullard or just *ucking strange

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I am a bit of a slight stickler for word usage, and I am interested in etymology, which has been known to induce yawns in my interlocutors.

Perhaps this is why this thread is annoying me somewhat: a dullard is actually someone who is slow or stupid. What people are describing here is behavior that is pedantic, obsessive, boring, and (yes) dull. This is undertaken by pedants, bores, obsessives, anoraks, train-spotters, or, perhaps, the somewhat American nerd or geek.
Yes, but you are proving the point. Despite being told more than once the meaning, people are continuing to contribute to the thread, making them either slow or stupid...ergo dullards!

Jul 7, 2003
Imagine if @Questions turns out to be a bona fide serial killer hiding in plain sight on NSC.
Having had the pleasure of his company recently I can categorically state that I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Oh no - just remembered that he knows where I live😱

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For me, it’s writing things like this:

‘Now I love buses and coaches. And there is little more exciting that the new trackers that have appeared in recent years. Oh the joys of watching the number 18 go around the Queen's Park route.’
Hold on, I thought I wrote that. Plagiarism is really dull. Anyway, I can out dull you.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Sitting all morning refreshing to see how many AEK Athens seats are left even though I bought mine last week...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is dullard the right word?

I’d say more nerd / boring / obsessive?

Anyway, I get what you mean.

The things I’m passionate about aren’t boring to me so it’s hard for me to judge.

I like nice notebooks, hiking / walking, old lugggage / trunks.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Is dullard the right word?

I’d say more nerd / boring / obsessive?

Anyway, I get what you mean.

The things I’m passionate about aren’t boring to me so it’s hard for me to judge.

I like nice notebooks, hiking / walking, old lugggage / trunks.

Sussex by the Sea sung at the Amex!!!!!!

It sends chills down my spine.

About the time my wife puts her hand on my neck.

NottinghamGull

Sep 21, 2023
Nottingham
Sussex by the Sea sung at the Amex!!!!!!

It sends chills down my spine.

About the time my wife puts her hand on my neck.
My dad was in the original Royal Sussex Regiment and it was their song. He died just as Covid started and the 10 of us allowed at the funeral sang it there. At lot of personal meaning for me every time

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You have summed up so many self employed tradesman me included. If every supplier emailed the receipts like Screwfix and Toolstatiom do things would be a lot easier.
Quickbooks - take a photo of receipt when you buy something and it's instantly uploaded to your expenses account

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Collecting snow globes,put them in the loft,get them out once a year to check its still snowing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Apologies for bumping an old thread but one for any of you other train dullards like me (or just anyone who likes steam trains and lives in the area), there is a steam train going out from Three Bridges along the coast via. Hove and Worthing next Saturday morning, return along the same route later in the evening. These are the times;

EDIT - BTW if you wanted to buy tickets to travel on it to Bristol, here's the link - https://www.railwaytouring.net/newpageed843a47

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here