Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is your " I wish I hadnt been there " Albion moment ?.

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Kingstonians in the cup. I nearly wasn't there as we only just made kick off due to the strippers in the local pub!

Me too.

I remember sitting at Withdean in gale force winds and pissing rain for 90 minutes while we got beat 3-0 by someone (Luton I think). Horrible day.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
A game that always sticks in my head as one of the worst Albion matches I have been to was in November 2003 when we lost 1.4 at home to Bristol City.

It was one of Mcghee's first matches and we were truly awful. After a good start to the season, Coppell had left and Booker had taken over and we then went on a terrible run ending in this abysmal performance. At the game I remember thinking after a good few seasons we were now on our way back to the bottom league, Withdean was looking particularly damp and miserable that day and I'd never seen so many fans leave a game so early as they did that day. It was just a very depressing game all round.

Obviously things got a lot better after that and it is ironic the season ended so well against Bristol City.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
5-1 loss to Stoke

This. It was so shocking that we were just taking the piss in the end, cheering for their man Rooney! Rooney! and going ironically mental at the lino when he flagged and Stoke got a goal disallowed for off-side. Doug f***ing Loft came on for the last 20 minutes, somehow managed to score with a pathetic daisy-cutter and promptly got awarded MoM. Then in the post-match interview McGhee just shrugged and said the game didn't matter anyway. Don't recall ever actively hating the players and management in quite that way after any match before or since.
And...relax! :smokin:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Walsall at home a couple of seasons ago.

After 27 minutes they went down to 9 men and myself and a group around me started to joke that we would still lose 1-0.

It was horrific when it happened. I nearly have up my season ticket that day as felt there was no point travelling 2 and a half hours to a game and the same home just to watch that crap!

This for me, plus every time Graeme Smith was in goal

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
I took the Mrs to Huddersfield - her 1st ever Brighton match - 7-1 to Hudds! They did look good that day!

(At least the journey back to Bradford where we lived at the time was a short one - I felt very sorry for fans that had travelled from Brighton)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
West Ham away last season is the worst performance I've seen that I can remember

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Palace at home and West Ham away last season in the recent past.

In the early 2000s I still recall a midweek 1-0 defeat at Stoke when the traffic was nearly as bad as the game as being possibly the most depressing trip I've ever made to a football match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1991 Wembley.

Warnock outfoxed crap Lloyd with a 5 man midfield and the game was finished by half time.
For those who weren't there, don't be fooled by a reasonable final score.

Shame after all the work put in that season with away wins, Ipswich and Millwall games, and a good Albion team combining youth and experience.
Add 42,000 Albion fans, to Notts Countys poor 17,000, and it could have been a day to remember.
Lloyd didn't allow us a chance.

And by then Wembley was a rusting dump, with shallow pitch lower 'tier' seats miles from the action.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
5-1 loss to Stoke and Southampton away last season

I didn't go to that Stoke game, but driving past Withdean at about 4.10, I wondered why many many hundreds of sad looking Albion fans were streaming from the ground.

Probably a low point in Albion's Withdean history.

Henderson, Reid, Hinshelwood, Butters, Lynch, Nicolas, Carpenter, Carole, Frutos (Loft 58), Noel-Williams, Kazim-Richards.
Subs Not Used: Chaigneau, Mayo, El-Abd, Gatting.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
5-1 loss to Stoke and Southampton away last season

I disagree. The Stoke game was great. It was end of season and we had already been relegated, the sun was shining, we'd had quite a few beers, Adam Rooney (now Swindon) got a hat trick and with our renowned gallows humour cheered every stoke goal. I thought it was a great afternoon because we had fun and it summed up the season.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
8-2 drubbing by Bristol Rovers at the Goldstone, not long after Brian Clough took charge. 1973ish.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I travelled up to Halifax away on a Tuesday night only to be told the match was off 30 minutes before kick off - rather disappointing was the phrase I used to a steward that night.

To be fair that was the second time it had been called off... I went up for the first one as well. I believe it was the Rugby then next night that cause the cancellation. Third time lucky and I think we won... Can't remember.

Worst was Stoke away we lost 5-1. Notts County away when we got relegated to div 4 (don't know why but that was worse for me than many others).

Mostly all good though (oh blanked it out, shithurst for 5-0)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Apart from 5-0 an you can't go home.

I would say freezing my nuts off in the FA cup at Fulham watching a turgid 0-0 only to then go to the replay and freeze my nuts off in the south stand for another 0-0 then extra time, still 0-0 then losing on penalties. Can't remember which year but i am guessing mid 90's

ooh I remember that one! FREEZING. 1994 I think.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
A 4-0 midweek drubbing at Brentford a few years back

This. The only time I've ever walked out of the ground with 20 minutes left to play, we were dire!

I can also remember shaking uncontrollably on a freezing New Year's Day at Torquay, never been so cold in my whole life. And standing on a rain and gale lashed terrace at Plymouth on a Sunday afternoon with my dad, wishing we were anywhere but there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here