Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the point? (Warning: Probably being dramatic)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If Tony isn't careful we'll be heading back to the championship sooner than he thinks then he'll have to spend the cash again. Tread wisely Mr Bloom.

I think it’s fair to say TB scores pretty highly for wiseness.
Even so Basic economics says every season we will be at risk of relegation.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
So we’ve lost 2 of our best players to bigger sides this summer and one of them last summer, I’ve kind of accepted that’s part of the progression.

When you actually think about it, without a ridiculous money injection how can a club ever break into the so called ‘big clubs’? As soon as anyone lower down the league appears to be making a good run at anything all the vultures come in and take what has taken us to where we are?

Like I said in the thread title, probably a bit dramatic but sometimes you look at football and just think how broken it is, how can a club ever break into the ‘big club’ bollocks?

Over dramatic or is it all a bit disheartening?

I agree 100%. I am extremely disappointed with Potter that he is even considering a horrid club like Chelsea. I hoped Potter was different than other managers and not go as soon as more money is offered. If he goes I hope he fails miserably at Chelsea and any respect I had for him will be gone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is starting to feel like this....

I love a bit of confirmation bias.

Our next manager will be poached by Spurs. The one after that will be off to Citeh. And Klopp will be sacked to make way for his replacement.

:lolol:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Good point. And Lampard was clearly a special case with Chelsea too.

I just think it's very unusual for a manager of #TeamsLikeBrighton to have this kind of opportunity in the modern game. If it wasn't our own club being directly impacted, I think we'd all feel quite pleased that a bright, young English manager was having this kind of opportunity.

Would you really be pleased for Eddie Howe if he was offered the job? I would be pleased if they hadn't come for Potter, but I really could not give a shit who manages Chelsea otherwise.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've gone through the 5 stages of grief this afternoon and come out the other side. If Southampton can deal with this shit for the last 30 years then we'll have to man up and deal with it too.

If we beat B'muff on Saturday we'll go top at 5pm and if Spurs and Citeh draw we'll be top for MOTD and overnight. If Mitrovic and Fulham can do Chelsea as well that will be the icing on the cake.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Totally agree with the OP. What is the flipping point? We have dragged ourselves up from the bottom over the last 25 years and finally got ourselves into a place where we could actually dream of reaching previously unheard of heights only to get asset stripped by a bunch of clueless goons whose only appealing feature is a huge bag of cash that can paper over the cracks of their own inadequacies.

I still hope again hope that Potter will not be impressed by what Chelsea have to offer but if he does go I'll feel sick. This will set us back and potentially ruin our season. I may calm down as this situation unfolds, but right now in this moment I am feeling over flipping dramatic.

I’m with you on this - this feels like an absolute kick in the balls after the start we’ve had and now I cannot help but think this is going to send us spiralling backwards as a team and league position. I know our playing squad is still here but this group of players are all bought into the GP way, a new guy coming in with his own approach and ideas could quickly piss off players and then performances will drop. I feel thoroughly depressed at the moment and worried about what suitable replacement is actually out there and within our grasp if GP does go. Then there’s the prospect of GP coming back to sign some of these players in January or next summer.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am trying to work out if I want GP to succeed at Chelsea or be a hilarious failure. 50/50 at the mo.

That's an impossible conundrum, mate. I won't be rejoicing if he flops or gets sacked a few months down the line. At the same time I won't enjoy it if he turns that horrible club into an exciting tip-top team! It's a classic lose-lose situation. He'll be a lot richer, and that's the only plus I can see (and that's a plus for him, not me!)

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Oh well, such is football. Hopefully G.Pott might stay and build his legend on the south coast, but chances are he will see this as a golden shot at the big time. He is very far from sure to succeed at Chelsea as he hasn't got the experience of managing big-time Charlies, nor CL football, and an ignominious sacking is a very likely outcome. But like most recent Chelsea managers he will be paid-off with a big pile of cash and never have to work again, so if that's his ambition then he's got nothing to lose...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't really think you are being dramatic, but I also feel that we just have to understand this is the way it works and will always work, just the way it is. The Leicester fluke season aside, it will be very, very hard for teams outside the top clubs, to win the league or even make Europe for that matter. With that being said, it does make me feel better and it should for all Albion fans, that we have someone like Bloom at the owner's helm. He genuinely love this club, and I am quite sure he has a fallback plan if and/or when Potter does go.

At the end of the day, being a Seagull gives me great joy and I expect it always will(Yes will be some nauseating moments here and there too I'm sure lol) and I have always went by the mantra with any sports teams I support: No one player, manager, coach, etc is bigger than the team,club, etc.

If he goes, we move on. That's all you can do.
But no big clubs came a-poaching the Leicester manager, did they.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've gone through the 5 stages of grief this afternoon and come out the other side. If Southampton can deal with this shit for the last 30 years then we'll have to man up and deal with it too.

If we beat B'muff on Saturday we'll go top at 5pm and if Spurs and Citeh draw we'll be top for MOTD and overnight. If Mitrovic and Fulham can do Chelsea as well that will be the icing on the cake.

The icing on the cake - and the pinnacle of Brighton success, never to be repeated no matter how many years we follow the Albion!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Like I said in the thread title, probably a bit dramatic
I think you've understated it. It's all ****ing shit, there's no ****ing point, and beating Leicester hasn't done us any favours.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think this might be the thing that breaks me from football once and for all. I've stopped enjoying other football games that the Albion aren't a part of, now I think I might be done full stop. What's the point of supporting a club if we can't try and get to the top. We're just going to have our best players, coaches and managers poached by the big clubs if we do well, then what's the point. Even Leicester has been ripped apart and look like relegation candidates. I genuinely feel low enough to be done with football.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’m just thoroughly depressed right now, same old tories ruining the country, Putin claiming it’s all still going to plan, energy crisis, getting dark at 8pm. The one thing that has been keeping me on the bright side of life is being ripped apart by the big boys, like Chelsea, now the Palace game is bloody postponed, I’m that low I’m in bed, I think I will try and get to sleep and pretend today never happened.

Last edited:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
When you think about it Graham Potters star is at it’s highest just now. Another great start to the season and sitting 4th in the league. It’s probably all down hill from here!
Lets be honest as well, if we went on a run like last season and didn’t win til say January, there would be plenty of disgruntled punters on here.
Maybe he should strike while the iron is hot. He may not be this high in the league again with us. **** it.

I share that sentiment. In fact I believe the club were smart enough to sell White, Biss and Cucu when their stars were at their highest... encouraged the build up of (possible) hype. I'm not sure we'll see those three play better than they did under Potter... so Cucu at least has a chance to improve if the boss follows him ;(

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
He's having dinner tonight with Bouley, an American, if that doesn't put him off, see ya. In Bloom I trust, the rest phhhfftt

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think this might be the thing that breaks me from football once and for all. I've stopped enjoying other football games that the Albion aren't a part of, now I think I might be done full stop. What's the point of supporting a club if we can't try and get to the top. We're just going to have our best players, coaches and managers poached by the big clubs if we do well, then what's the point. Even Leicester has been ripped apart and look like relegation candidates. I genuinely feel low enough to be done with football.

I feel that the only way to continue enjoying football is to reset the brain, accept the increasing revolving doors of players and managers driven by pure money. I know we would like to think that Albion's own would maintain loyalty to the club, Bloom, the fans... especially as they get paid huge sums anyway (compared to us mortals)but life doesn't seem to be like that anymore.:albion2:

sir_gullahad

Dec 20, 2013
Cheltenhamshire
I haven't looked at the Swansea forum, but I imagine their take is serve us right.

As far as keeping my chin up goes, I believe that genuine change does happen albeit slowly. And I take solace from the fact that when it does occur it is always unheralded by the ITK goons that drive whatever the current chatter is.

bob_monkhouse

Don't try to fix me, I'm not broken
Jun 16, 2014
Liphook

I feel the same [emoji17]

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

American Football is the only antidote Washie, best sport in the world imho, and the beauty is you’ll never get emotionally attached the way one does with BHA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here