Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is the point? (Warning: Probably being dramatic)

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I feel disheartened today, but I’ve not given up hope yet. I do feel just like the opening post to this thread.. I feel, “ What’s the point?”
It is not a question of wanting our club to be like them… perish the thought! .. but we all want to see our club playing well and winning. We want more days like last Sunday.
If we are picked clean by the vultures we are going to have long periods of heavy hearts after mediocre performances , and that’s no fun.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Whilst the poaching of players by the big clubs is relatively commonplace, it feels like it's considerably less so when it comes to managers. From what I can recall over the last 20-30 years...

Liverpool: Brendan Rogers (Swansea) and Roy Hodgson (Fulham)
Manchester United: David Moyes (Everton)
Manchester City: Mark Hughes (Blackburn)
Arsenal: none
Spurs: Mauricio Pochettino (Southampton) and Nuno Espirito Santo (Wolves)
Chelsea: Frank Lampard (Derby)

Nuno had already left Wolves when he went to Spurs.

I may be wrong but it seems like most of the others left during the summer so it leaves a bitter taste that Chelsea are taking Potter after the season has started.

Martin Jones

Banned
Mar 7, 2021
Having watched the meteoric rise of Brighton over the past 15 years, fans of pretty much every non-elite British football club could be forgiven for reading this post with a sense of disbelief.
EG - our former rivals Leyton Orient would probably consider we are doing OK.

If Tony isn't careful we'll be heading back to the championship sooner than he thinks then he'll have to spend the cash again. Tread wisely Mr Bloom.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A setback if he goes but a massive sign of confidence things are going well at the club.

I feel certain the club will have another head coach lined up pretty quickly

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I’m thinking whoever our successor will be, should they do well and maintain our momentum…

… they’ll be gone in the summer to another big 6 club.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
We've raped and pillaged our way up the leagues ourselves, taking players and managers from clubs left, right and centre, no one likes it up 'em unfortunately. No winners in this game unless you support the very top teams.

Point of order!! Please can everyone STOP calling them ‘Top’ or ‘Elite’ clubs etc

Refer to them as ‘Richest’

They are because of. Plain and simple.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Completely and utterly missing the point of the thread, but nice irrelevant rant.

If you aren’t slightly disheartened right now then you can t be that much of a Brighton fan with the direction we’ve been heading as a club and football wise, as I said, how do teams challenge the monotony of money driven football clubs? Question still remains.

:lolol:

I am determined to be bullish.

Of course I will be disappointed if Potter goes. Gutted.

But having followed the Albion since my first trip to the Goldstone in 1969, I wouldn't be much of a Brighton fan if I get all titsy now, just because it looks like our excellent manage may be poached by the recent champions of Europe.

Did you ever watch us when we played our home games at Priestfield? All the people I knew back then would have laughed if you told them what appears to be about to be happening. I'm certain they wouldn't have said 'How disheartening. How do teams challenge the monotony of money driven football clubs'. I mean, seriously.

Look, I'm not being very sympathetic am I? I'm sorry about that. My view is onwards and upwards, and rather than feeling sad, make yourself a nice warm cuppa (two sugars) and reflect on what a well run club we are, and trust Tony and the team to find a good solution

Sorry for being, well, whatever I was (rude) about it :wink: :thumbsup:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I’m thinking whoever our successor will be, should they do well and maintain our momentum…

It is starting to feel like this....

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
A setback if he goes but a massive sign of confidence things are going well at the club.

I feel certain the club will have another head coach lined up pretty quickly

Our succession planning is excellent, but Potter (potentially) leaving is a huge setback. A generational coaching talent because of his experience professionally and emotionally.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
When you think about it Graham Potters star is at it’s highest just now. Another great start to the season and sitting 4th in the league. It’s probably all down hill from here!
Lets be honest as well, if we went on a run like last season and didn’t win til say January, there would be plenty of disgruntled punters on here.
Maybe he should strike while the iron is hot. He may not be this high in the league again with us. **** it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nuno had already left Wolves when he went to Spurs.

Good point. And Lampard was clearly a special case with Chelsea too.

I just think it's very unusual for a manager of #TeamsLikeBrighton to have this kind of opportunity in the modern game. If it wasn't our own club being directly impacted, I think we'd all feel quite pleased that a bright, young English manager was having this kind of opportunity.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Whilst the poaching of players by the big clubs is relatively commonplace, it feels like it's considerably less so when it comes to managers. From what I can recall over the last 20-30 years...

Liverpool: Brendan Rogers (Swansea) and Roy Hodgson (Fulham)
Manchester United: David Moyes (Everton)
Manchester City: Mark Hughes (Blackburn)
Arsenal: none
Spurs: Mauricio Pochettino (Southampton) and Nuno Espirito Santo (Wolves)
Chelsea: Frank Lampard (Derby)

I'm not sure Moyes could be considered a poach, as he was out of contract (although almost certainly tapped up, to make it that way)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Given how shit things are Brighton has, for the first time in my lifetime, given me nothing but pleasure over the last year or two. Really gutting. I really hope we can pull something out of the bag re: new manager but there seems to be a real lack of talent about. I do wish Potter all the success in the world though. It's been a ride.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Still, never mind, managers and players come and go, I’ll still be a Brighton fan tomorrow.

Is the exact correct way of looking at it.

Only yesterday there was a thread on here about Potters departure. Now I'm sure the OP didn't expect it potentially to be a day later but it was always going happen sooner or later.

Gutting but that is life sadly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think the club may start making it known that if the successor does well there will be an incremental investment to take us into the trophy zone, now we have apparently found our feet.

On the other hand, perhaps now is the time to recalibrate our expectations, bring in someone a bit more pragmatic, sell off the 'ambitious' players, accept a relegation, and re-establish our place as a good Championship side.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I don't really think you are being dramatic, but I also feel that we just have to understand this is the way it works and will always work, just the way it is. The Leicester fluke season aside, it will be very, very hard for teams outside the top clubs, to win the league or even make Europe for that matter. With that being said, it does make me feel better and it should for all Albion fans, that we have someone like Bloom at the owner's helm. He genuinely love this club, and I am quite sure he has a fallback plan if and/or when Potter does go.

At the end of the day, being a Seagull gives me great joy and I expect it always will(Yes will be some nauseating moments here and there too I'm sure lol) and I have always went by the mantra with any sports teams I support: No one player, manager, coach, etc is bigger than the team,club, etc.

If he goes, we move on. That's all you can do.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Having watched the meteoric rise of Brighton over the past 15 years, fans of pretty much every non-elite British football club could be forgiven for reading this post with a sense of disbelief.
EG - our former rivals Leyton Orient would probably consider we are doing OK.

Funny thing, l was reminiscing with an old friend from our Goldstone days in Dick's Bar on Sunday, and we were talking about that amazing 4-4 draw with Orient under Steve Gritt.

We were great adversaries for many years, on a level par with them . . . but just look at the gulf between us now.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Funny thing, l was reminiscing with an old friend from our Goldstone days in Dick's Bar on Sunday, and we were talking about that amazing 4-4 draw with Orient under Steve Gritt.

We were great adversaries for many years, on a level par with them . . . but just look at the gulf between us now.

They were good times. It’s weird, no complaints about the club’s exceptional progress (and we have been spoiled) but I still enjoy watching the Albion about as much as when we were shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here