Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is THE age that IS

Kojakker

Jun 10, 2022
But then you add the remaining 24 years from 66 which takes you to 90? Then you take the 20 away which leaves 70, and a third of that is 23.3.

I think that's what they mean?
Yes. Life expectancy for men that have reached pension age will be higher than 81 for the general population since you’re excluding the poor buggers that die early. So if you make it to 66 you’ve got a 50/50 shot at getting to nearly 90.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Anyone that has surpassed 60 years in age has had adequate time to do good in this life and anything above this is a blessing. IMO

I always think that the comment "they died at no age at all" when applied to 60+ is baffling when compared to many who pass away before reaching 20.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone that has surpassed 60 years in age has had adequate time to do good in this life and anything above this is a blessing. IMO

I always think that the comment "they died at no age at all" when applied to 60+ is baffling when compared to many who pass away before reaching 20.
It’s different when it happens.
Both my parents passed away in their early 60’s and it felt way too young. I felt we have missed out on lots. They’ll never see their grand children grow up, they never saw me settle down etc. I feel they had a lot more life to live.

My brother died at 39. Now that was unequivocally too young.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

And how old are you?

Dun Lurkin

Feb 20, 2023
My Dad died at 56 (heart attack), so I took early retirement at 50 to ensure I could enjoy some leisure time just in case. I survived my own heart attack at 65 and have now reached the ripe old age of 76. As I have completed my allotted three score years and 10 I now regard these as my bonus years.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My father (heart attack at 62) looked older than me now (nearly 65) when he was only in his early 50s.

If you go back over the millennia, the average human lifespan has been around 30, with illness and violent assault (largely by other humans) taking care of business. So we have evolved to breed in our mid teens, and rear our offspring to mid teens. Only in the last couple of hundred years have we started to seriously consider allowing 'older' people to have a life. For the working class, the over 60s were consigned to the bin even recently. The changes in the last 30 years have been astronomical. I remember in the 70s if you saw someone over 30 wearing denim jeans, they were American tourists. Englishmen (working class, anyway) wore nylon slacks.

That (the prevailing short life span of old) is why we are so vulnerable to diseases of age, which we have not 'bred out', and which is why none of us live for ever. In fact, it is advantageous to the gene pool/species to have people die after child rearing. If it was an advantage to the species or individual to live forever, that's what we would do. Among the animals birds and fish, most live a finite lifespan that is relatively short (and oddly correlated with average heart rate). Humans are one of the very few that digress, living beyond that predicted base on heart rate. Lifespan now, that is. Not when lifespan was around 30 up to a few hundred years ago.

In the great scheme of things there is little difference between 40 and 90 in terms of how much wisdom you can pass down to the next generation, either. In fact, as we get older we can become alienated by the generations that follow, and their innovations (in behaviour, language, social attitudes etc.). If I have one goal as my years advance it is to never ever become a grumpy old man, moaning about the youth of today. It won't be too much of a challenge for me, though, because since I was a teenager I have always considered that most people, of whatever generation, are twats. :lolol:.
UR tellin me Fam

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Do you make a noise when you bend down to pick something up yet ?
That is the sign your on your way out, all hope is gone, you won't be busting moves at the family party anymore without serious consequences for the following week.
Yes, yes I do. I groan in time with with the creaking!:down:
Wait until you let out a loud fart when you bend over
As long as it's only a fart🙏 :facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
61 - if I die today I can't complain.
Each to their own but wow! If I thought I only had another 16 years in me, I’d be upset. Dying at 61, you’d miss so much of your life.

If you’re fit and healthy and avoid any major diseases you can lead an active life into your 90’s.

61? No thank you!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
You work your whole life to be able to live. Then they say enjoy your years because you can't take it with you when you go....so sod it, I'm not going!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s different when it happens.
Both my parents passed away in their early 60’s and it felt way too young. I felt we have missed out on lots. They’ll never see their grand children grow up, they never saw me settle down etc. I feel they had a lot more life to live.

My brother died at 39. Now that was unequivocally too young.
I remember that. Terrible time. My BIG SISTER died at 46 with 6 young children…. Heart attack from pushing sprogs out probably… I’m now 16 years older than she was when she left us. That fucks with my head a lot of the time for so many reasons. Mainly because she was my big sis.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ironically the longer I’ve lived, the more I don’t want to grow old. I’ve witnessed far too much prolonged ill health and suffering up close. Existing not living. We should be allowed to end our own lives if we chose to in a strictly controlled and dignified manner.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I remember that. Terrible time. My BIG SISTER died at 46 with 6 young children…. Heart attack from pushing sprogs out probably… I’m now 16 years older than she was when she left us. That fucks with my head a lot of the time for so many reasons. Mainly because she was my big sis.
Sorry to hear. My little sis died at 42 (leaving 2 kids) but she was 10 years younger than me - not a day goes by when I don’t think about her. Soon after, my dad died at 74 after years of terrible health (rheumatoid arthritis from his 40s, followed by kidney failure and 4 years of dialysis due the the RA drugs) - he had no real retirement enjoyment as went from mostly hard manual work straight to disability. Both had a massive impact on me chucking in my (well paid and fairly easy) job at 54 and making the most of whatever time I’ve got left. Luckily I’m in reasonable health at the moment but do fear the spectre of impending decrepitness quite strongly so the kid’s inheritance is being absolutely blown on holidays and stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here