Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is THE age that IS

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Today I've seen that 77 is 'no age at all'

So now is the time to clarify, what is the age?

----

"84 year old Jeff Smith died today"

"That is age"

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
My Father (67 - heart attack) wouldn't be thought old these days. Seeing as he was a TT Road racer he obviously outlasted many of his friends by 40 years or so!

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Don't think any male in my family has made it past 70. If I'm still posting in 22 years time then I'm breaking new ground.
I'm not expecting that to happen.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Don't think any male in my family has made it past 70. If I'm still posting in 22 years time then I'm breaking new ground.
I'm not expecting that to happen.
That was true in our family up to my father's generation who all lived well into their 80's. My last remaining Uncle is nearly 90.
But you can never tell, my mother died at 61 but her mother died at 97.
Low 80's is par for the course these days.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Good question the pension policy institute who advise the UK Government said in 2017

“Life expectancy at state pension age was an average of 24 years (men and women). The Government believes that people should spend “on average up to one third of their adult life drawing a State Pension,” with adult life being assumed to begin at age 20”

Not sure how they came to conclusion when age 20 to age 66 is 46 years which leave a third as 15.3 years how they came up with 24 years

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My Father (67 - heart attack) wouldn't be thought old these days. Seeing as he was a TT Road racer he obviously outlasted many of his friends by 40 years or so!
My father (heart attack at 62) looked older than me now (nearly 65) when he was only in his early 50s.

If you go back over the millennia, the average human lifespan has been around 30, with illness and violent assault (largely by other humans) taking care of business. So we have evolved to breed in our mid teens, and rear our offspring to mid teens. Only in the last couple of hundred years have we started to seriously consider allowing 'older' people to have a life. For the working class, the over 60s were consigned to the bin even recently. The changes in the last 30 years have been astronomical. I remember in the 70s if you saw someone over 30 wearing denim jeans, they were American tourists. Englishmen (working class, anyway) wore nylon slacks.

That (the prevailing short life span of old) is why we are so vulnerable to diseases of age, which we have not 'bred out', and which is why none of us live for ever. In fact, it is advantageous to the gene pool/species to have people die after child rearing. If it was an advantage to the species or individual to live forever, that's what we would do. Among the animals birds and fish, most live a finite lifespan that is relatively short (and oddly correlated with average heart rate). Humans are one of the very few that digress, living beyond that predicted based on heart rate. Lifespan now, that is. Not when lifespan was around 30 up to a few hundred years ago.

In the great scheme of things there is little difference between 40 and 90 in terms of how much wisdom you can pass down to the next generation, either. In fact, as we get older we can become alienated by the generations that follow, and their innovations (in behaviour, language, social attitudes etc.). If I have one goal as my years advance it is to never ever become a grumpy old man, moaning about the youth of today. It won't be too much of a challenge for me, though, because since I was a teenager I have always considered that most people, of whatever generation, are twats. :lolol:.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My father (heart attack at 62) looked older than me now (nearly 65) when he was only in his early 50s.

If you go back over the millennia, the average human lifespan has been around 30, with illness and violent assault (largely by other humans) taking care of business. So we have evolved to breed in our mid teens, and rear our offspring to mid teens. Only in the last couple of hundred years have we started to seriously consider allowing 'older' people to have a life. For the working class, the over 60s were consigned to the bin even recently. The changes in the last 30 years have been astronomical. I remember in the 70s if you saw someone over 30 wearing denim jeans, they were American tourists. Englishmen (working class, anyway) wore nylon slacks.

That (the prevailing short life span of old) is why we are so vulnerable to diseases of age, which we have not 'bred out', and which is why none of us live for ever. In fact, it is advantageous to the gene pool/species to have people die after child rearing. If it was an advantage to the species or individual to live forever, that's what we would do. Among the animals birds and fish, most live a finite lifespan that is relatively short (and oddly correlated with average heart rate). Humans are one of the very few that digress, living beyond that predicted base on heart rate. Lifespan now, that is. Not when lifespan was around 30 up to a few hundred years ago.

In the great scheme of things there is little difference between 40 and 90 in terms of how much wisdom you can pass down to the next generation, either. In fact, as we get older we can become alienated by the generations that follow, and their innovations (in behaviour, language, social attitudes etc.). If I have one goal as my years advance it is to never ever become a grumpy old man, moaning about the youth of today. It won't be too much of a challenge for me, though, because since I was a teenager I have always considered that most people, of whatever generation, are twats. :lolol:.
Given YOUR taste in music you’ll never be old, I suggest 20 year olds may struggle to keep up :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here