Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What is THE age that IS

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My mental age is a constant high teens/early twenties
My bodily age changes hourly through the day.
Do you make a noise when you bend down to pick something up yet ?
That is the sign your on your way out, all hope is gone, you won't be busting moves at the family party anymore without serious consequences for the following week.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you make a noise when you bend down to pick something up yet ?
That is the sign your on your way out, all hope is gone, you won't be busting moves at the family party anymore without serious consequences for the following week.
Wait until you let out a loud fart when you bend over

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
If you go back over the millennia, the average human lifespan has been around 30, with illness and violent assault (largely by other humans) taking care of business.
I think a lot of people seem to forget that lower average lifespans in the past where heavily dragged down by violence and disease. So they look at somebody like Plato living (reportedly) to 80 and can't believe it. But the truth is, if you somehow managed to avoid being murdered, dragged into somebody's war or dying of some horrible disease, people could still put in a good innings. It just required a lot more luck.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Well, I am 75 in July and have to say that my health has taken great strides downhill in the last few years and it is shit. In many ways, I feel mentally quite young, but in other ways, not so. Physically, due mainly to mobility problems, but other things too, I feel my age and more.
My mum lived to 96 and my father died at 102. There’s no way, I want to last that long and I’m pretty damn sure I won’t.
To finish on a more cheerful note, I’ve enjoyed most of my life and I suppose that is about as much as most of us can reasonably hope for.😳😁

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Today I've seen that 77 is 'no age at all'

So now is the time to clarify, what is the age?

----

"84 year old Jeff Smith died today"

"That is age"
77 is old. I don’t want to hang around much after that.
Having said that my gran is 97 and is not ill or poorly, goes out walking every day, goes to the theatre, aquarobics, cinema, lunches out, goes on her beloved steam trains and…
moved to Australia at age 90.

If I’ve got her genes, maybe old age won’t be too bad.

If it looks like I’m going into a home or gonna be very ill, I’m off for a blowout in Thailand and a bunch of sleeping pills after I’ve partied, drunk, and shagged my way around for a few weeks 👍

Frankly the idea of living another 45 years does not fill me with joy. Especially if some of those are spent unable to enjoy life through illness.

My parents both died from cancer in their early 60’s and my brother dropped dead of an undiagnosed heart condition, at age 39. So I get regular check ups, quit drinking (mostly) and smoking and do regular exercise, good diet and good sleep. The past smoking may have already done enough damage to see me off but so far, so good.

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Don't think any male in my family has made it past 70. If I'm still posting in 22 years time then I'm breaking new ground.
I'm not expecting that to happen.
Similar in my family. My dad's currently breaking new ground at the ripe old age of 67. Both of his younger brothers have already left us (both in their late 50's), and my grandfather was mid-50's. I suspect, though, that my dad and I will do alright - common denominator for the early deaths was smoking and alcohol. My dad probably drinks a little too much, but never smoked, and I'm a non-smoker and within current medical tolerance ranges when it comes to alcohol consumption.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
At 67 my mind is still 100% and would love to work they way I used to only 5 years ago. Sadly I find a 3 day week pushing it a bit now and find getting out of bed on day 4 a real strain.
My Mum is 88 and still going well, except she had a stroke last week. Luckily her health meant she was quickly on the road to recovery.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
At 67 my mind is still 100% and would love to work they way I used to only 5 years ago. Sadly I find a 3 day week pushing it a bit now and find getting out of bed on day 4 a real strain.
My Mum is 88 and still going well, except she had a stroke last week. Luckily her health meant she was quickly on the road to recovery.
How do you know your mind is 100%, mine's about 85 persil

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Both my parents died before their time ….. Luckily not of anything that was serious.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I am of an age where I feel middle aged but look elderly.
I glare at young people on the bus who are in seats "reserved" for the infirm etc but get offended when someone offers me a seat.
(Grumpy old man!)
I make the same noises my Dad used to make when getting up from his chair!

It's scary when people younger than me are dying but have to do my best to stay fit and healthy.
I want to live to see my eldest Grandaughter become a mum!

(And , of course, Albion to win the FA Cup or Premier League )

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
My father (heart attack at 62) looked older than me now (nearly 65) when he was only in his early 50s.

If you go back over the millennia, the average human lifespan has been around 30, with illness and violent assault (largely by other humans) taking care of business. So we have evolved to breed in our mid teens, and rear our offspring to mid teens. Only in the last couple of hundred years have we started to seriously consider allowing 'older' people to have a life. For the working class, the over 60s were consigned to the bin even recently. The changes in the last 30 years have been astronomical. I remember in the 70s if you saw someone over 30 wearing denim jeans, they were American tourists. Englishmen (working class, anyway) wore nylon slacks.

That (the prevailing short life span of old) is why we are so vulnerable to diseases of age, which we have not 'bred out', and which is why none of us live for ever. In fact, it is advantageous to the gene pool/species to have people die after child rearing. If it was an advantage to the species or individual to live forever, that's what we would do. Among the animals birds and fish, most live a finite lifespan that is relatively short (and oddly correlated with average heart rate). Humans are one of the very few that digress, living beyond that predicted base on heart rate. Lifespan now, that is. Not when lifespan was around 30 up to a few hundred years ago.

In the great scheme of things there is little difference between 40 and 90 in terms of how much wisdom you can pass down to the next generation, either. In fact, as we get older we can become alienated by the generations that follow, and their innovations (in behaviour, language, social attitudes etc.). If I have one goal as my years advance it is to never ever become a grumpy old man, moaning about the youth of today. It won't be too much of a challenge for me, though, because since I was a teenager I have always considered that most people, of whatever generation, are twats. :lolol:.

So we Do have something in common! ;)

Apart from :albion2:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm 65 and I can state quite authoritatively that anyone who dies in their seventies has died young. Far too young. All four of my grandparents for example who all died at 76.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mrs Bobkin used to look after terminal kids at both the Royal Alex and Chestnut Tree House. They really WERE no age.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Good question the pension policy institute who advise the UK Government said in 2017

“Life expectancy at state pension age was an average of 24 years (men and women). The Government believes that people should spend “on average up to one third of their adult life drawing a State Pension,” with adult life being assumed to begin at age 20”

Not sure how they came to conclusion when age 20 to age 66 is 46 years which leave a third as 15.3 years how they came up with 24 years
But then you add the remaining 24 years from 66 which takes you to 90? Then you take the 20 away which leaves 70, and a third of that is 23.3.

I think that's what they mean?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here