Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Peter Crouch doing?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But this is all about moving the data to suit facts; we could look at it as his goals against the top 7 defences: 3 goals in 14 games.

No, it's not. It's about sticking to the parameters you set. Top 4. You opening up to 7 is about moving parameter to suit your opinion. The data stays the same and I've previously given the full records, so I'm not hiding them.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, it's not. It's about sticking to the perimeters you set. Top 4. You opening up to 7 is about moving perimeter to suit your opinion. The data stays the same and I've previously given the full records, so I'm not hiding them.

Parameters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No. Crouch declined to be on standby, after being left out of a squad, in favour of Defoe, Carroll, Sturridge, etc.

Close enough.

I would pick Carroll, Sturridge and Welbeck ahead of Crouch. Defoe, not so sure.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
22 goals in 42 games for England.

Seeing as scoring goals is the whole point of football I would put forward an argument that the strikers (who dont score goals, such as Carroll and Sturridge) are not 'better' players.

Just a counter argument.

Also, If someone dares throw the 'he only scores against weak teams' argument forward then I will cry.

A big fat juicy THIS with bells on it!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No, it's not. It's about sticking to the parameters you set. Top 4. You opening up to 7 is about moving parameter to suit your opinion. The data stays the same and I've previously given the full records, so I'm not hiding them.

I don't remember setting it originally as Top 4? I said against "top" defences. You also highlighted "top half of table" defences.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But it's not that simple, is it. Everything in football is a stat. Goals scored, passes completed, possession, chances, clean sheets, tackles won, and so on. You can reduce them to numbers or keep it anecdotal, goals scored is a stat, but is also one (important) way of judging a striker.

I hear what you are saying but the point I was making that there are some that are implying that he should be picked purely because of the goals scored stat and don't take into account any other factors.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Carragher, by way of the other example, refused to be IN the squad, because he was fed up of being dragged around Europe to sit on the bench, on the off chance he might be required.

Crouch WANTED to be doing that.

He was not picked for the squad, but was asked to put any other plans on hold, just in case they changed their minds later. Personally, I'd like to think I'd accept even that, for whatever slim chance that gave me of a call up, but I can see his point.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have to say, if I was England manager, I think I'd rather put an up-and-coming nearly man on standby, as opposed to someone who has done it all before and can see no international future for himself, which is basically Crouch's position.

Considering this is only standby we are talking about, surely there are youngsters that could be asked, as opposed to Crouch? Don't ask me to name names, I'm not that interested in England to be honest.

Funnell

Jan 10, 2012
All this talk about how he doesn't score against the big sides in the league. Think how many goals the small teams actually score against the league champions, or score over the course of a season. The service he recieves at playing at Stoke isn't going to be on a par with that received in an England shirt so I don't think you can say he wouldn't do well against bigger international nations based purely on that. In fact for a striker playing for a lesser team I would say 3 goals in 8 games against was it the top 4? is in fact a pretty damn good record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here