Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Peter Crouch doing?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
only reason he "hasn't scored against top teams for England" is that he is never given the opportunity against them.

Do you really think that's the "only" reason? Nothing to do with his erratic first touch, awkward co-ordination or at times shocking finishing?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sorry but you are completely belittling the standard of these teams. If it was as easy as you suggest Holland should win every game in their group 10-0 and Van persie should end up with 30 goals in a qualifying campaign.

David bloody healy finished top scorer once in qualifying. That just shows teams dont win every game 4-0. To achieve his goal record is impressive. Whatever way you look at it.

I agree that he is impressively clinical against smaller nations.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you really think that's the "only" reason? Nothing to do with his erratic first touch, awkward co-ordination or at times shocking finishing?

Yes. At the moment he hasn't been given a decent chance against top international teams to show he can do what he did against the 4 best premier league defences last season despite any shortcomings in his abilities.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes. At the moment he hasn't been given a decent chance against top international teams to show he can do what he did against the 4 best premier league defences last season despite any shortcomings in his abilities.

He wasn't that good against the 4 best. Scored 3 in 8 games. That's not bad, also I notice you don't say the top 6 or 7, as that makes his stats look much worse.

It's not bad, but it's not worthy of the accolades some give him though; "England's most natural goalscorer" etc.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He wasn't that good against the 4 best. Scored 3 in 8 games. That's not bad. It's not worthy of the accolades some give him though; "England's most natural goalscorer" etc.

And as I've repeatedly said, I'm not calling him that, just arguing he hasn't had a chance.

But really, 3 in 8 against the best 4 defences is better than "not bad", and to be so down on it is either a reaction to this perceived sense that people honestly think he's England's best goal scorer, or the same sort of vendetta that some have to barnes (I suspect the former, though don't believe anyone who isn't part of his family/a stoke fan seriously believe that).

Also, if you make it 'best teams' instead of "best defences" he scored 4 goals in 6 games against the best three premier league teams. (Or if you want to keep it to 4, he scored 4 in 8 against the best four teams). A very good return.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I agree that he is impressively clinical against smaller nations.

And yet you are agreeing that it is correct that he was not included in a squad selected with the purpose of securing qualifying points against Moldova. Righto.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And as I've repeatedly said, I'm not calling him that, just arguing he hasn't had a chance.

But really, 3 in 8 against the best 4 defences is better than "not bad", and to be so down on it is either a reaction to this perceived sense that people honestly think he's England's best goal scorer, or the same sort of vendetta that some have to barnes (I suspect the former, though don't believe anyone who isn't part of his family/a stoke fan seriously believe that).

Also, if you make it 'best teams' instead of "best defences" he scored 4 goals in 6 games against the best three premier league teams. (Or if you want to keep it to 4, he scored 4 in 8 against the best four teams). A very good return.

But this is all about moving the data to suit facts; we could look at it as his goals against the top 7 defences: 3 goals in 14 games.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And yet you are agreeing that it is correct that he was not included in a squad selected with the purpose of securing qualifying points against Moldova. Righto.

Where did I say that? I'm not certain whether I do agree or not. I haven't even thought about it until this post.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where did I say that? I'm not certain whether I do agree or not. I haven't even thought about it until this post.

The entire point of this thread is whether Crouch has justification in feeling wronged, at being left out of recent squad.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
BBC Sport - Football

I've always had a lot of time for him, but hearing that he's refused to be selected as a 'reserve' for England drops him down many notches in my estimations, not that he's bothered about that. But he bothers me.

Does anyone sympathise with him?

I do. He is consistently our best striker when he plays, but is regularly overlooked in favour of that midget Defoe.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not really bothered about his stats. If anyone thinks someone should be picked purely because of their stats then perhaps they should get in time machine and go and support Watford or Wimbledon of the 1980s where the only criteria for everyone apart from the strikers was to boot the ball towards the opponents penalty area where the job falls to the strikers to do something with it. Hardly the GP way!

At the end of the day, it is the manager who picks the team. Presumably when he's not picked by his club manager he doesn't throw his toys out of the pram. Normally, I'm quite defensive of footballers, in particular when people have a go at what they earn, but when a player decides he can't be bothered with the national team then I have no time for him (and that includes Carrick and Carragher). Finally, I believe technically, you cannot retire from international football under Fifa rules. If you are fit, you are available for selection by your national manager.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not really bothered about his stats. If anyone thinks someone should be picked purely because of their stats...

But it's not that simple, is it. Everything in football is a stat. Goals scored, passes completed, possession, chances, clean sheets, tackles won, and so on. You can reduce them to numbers or keep it anecdotal, goals scored is a stat, but is also one (important) way of judging a striker.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The entire point of this thread is whether Crouch has justification in feeling wronged, at being left out of recent squad.

I thought the point was that Crouch had rejected the chance to be in the squad?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here