What is Peter Crouch doing?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
BBC Sport - Football

I've always had a lot of time for him, but hearing that he's refused to be selected as a 'reserve' for England drops him down many notches in my estimations, not that he's bothered about that. But he bothers me.

Does anyone sympathise with him?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Is it really any different from what Carragher and Carrick have said in the past? Both "retired" from international football because they didn't want to sit around waiting to be used.
Perhaps Peter Crouch doesn't want to sit by the phone wasting a weekend hoping it'll ring, when he can be enjoying some family time

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
If he doesn't have the desire to jump at the chance to play for England anymore, a brief "I've retired" statement would at least save him some dignity. All this larking about, refusing to be on the standby list, an England manager is never going to play again, is he.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm never going to be able to understand how a sportsman can say NO to the national team.
Is it just a football thing, I'm thinking maybe Rugby but can't place anything specific.

A la Carragher, PC is now so low in my estimations no matter how good a pundit he were to become, I'll still stick the boot in.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
If he doesn't have the desire to jump at the chance to play for England anymore, a brief "I've retired" statement would at least save him some dignity. All this larking about, refusing to be on the standby list, an England manager is never going to play again, is he.

Interesting choice of phrase, if he'd ever been able to get more than a couple of inches of the ground he would've been world class!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
BBC Sport - Football

I've always had a lot of time for him, but hearing that he's refused to be selected as a 'reserve' for England drops him down many notches in my estimations, not that he's bothered about that. But he bothers me.

Does anyone sympathise with him?

No sympathy. Clearly Crouch wasn't watching any sport this summer!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Carrick did exactly the same for the Euros and was brought into the starting 11 against Italy. If a player isn't willing to put himself forward for an international competition then why on earth should they waste a space on him in friendlies?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I fear this is more widespread in the game than we realise. I know of a player who was leaping around the room, shout and screaming in DELIGHT when the news came through that he was NOT in the England squad this summer!! Basically, he didn't want to cancel his holiday to Marbella / Porta Benus with his mates, just to be a squad player, and barely get a game.

It's tragic, but it's true. Maybe sometimes when we see a player that we just don't understand why they are not getting picked by International managers, it's because their attitude stinks, but we just don't get to see it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Treated terribly how by better players being selected ahead of him?

22 goals in 42 games for England.

Seeing as scoring goals is the whole point of football I would put forward an argument that the strikers (who dont score goals, such as Carroll and Sturridge) are not 'better' players.

Just a counter argument.

Also, If someone dares throw the 'he only scores against weak teams' argument forward then I will cry.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
22 goals in 42 games for England.

Seeing as scoring goals is the whole point of football I would put forward an argument that the strikers (who dont score goals, such as Carroll and Sturridge) are not 'better' players.

Just a counter argument.

Also, If someone dares throw the 'he only scores against weak teams' argument forward then I will cry.

Yet his scoring league form is not amazing.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Just had a child hasn't he?

That could be his reason, it doesn't really say why he refused. I imagine he would have liked to have planned some time with his family without having the small possibility of being called into the England squad to warm the bench.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports