Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Forster-Caskey's role in the team?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Superb isn't a word i'd associate with his performance last night. Bennett was the best player on view but he wasn't SUPERB either.

Bennett was Superb last night come on, that was as near as good a full back display as you are likely to see in this division, the best since Bridge left in my view.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
So I ask a reasonable question and because you don't agree I am to be called out as a fan who "knows sod all about football".

I think that statement says a lot more about your small mind than my football knowledge.

If you cant see that JFC had a good game last night.......Any reasonable person would question your knowledge of the game!

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I am a fan of developing and playing development squad players. Dunk is a great example of when it works well and I hope that in due course Solly March will also become a regular attacking midfielder. However, this season I am bewildered as to what role Forster-Caskey is filing in the current match day team where he has been an 80-90 minute regular.

He is not the strong holding MF (that's Holla or Ince), he is not the playmaker (that's Teixeira, Gardner or McCourt) and he is not the finisher (perhaps Lua Lua or in previous season's Crofts).

His main role seems to be to take the odd corner and free kick (mostly badly) and to make a badly timed tackle in the middle of the park to get booked every match.

Surely, playing Ince, McCourt or Crofts would give a stronger performance in midfield?
You weren't there last night then? Had a very good game.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
His role appears to be scapegoat.

I thought he was good in what i saw against Forest, and I can't comment on last night but I think he does a reasonable job - I think when he sits back with Holla we don't get to see the expansive attacking side of his game. We all know he can score a goal or two and gets in good positions...just his finishing needs work, I guess.

Agreed with many though, he's awful at set pieces.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
His role appears to be scapegoat.

I thought he was good in what i saw against Forest, and I can't comment on last night but I think he does a reasonable job - I think when he sits back with Holla we don't get to see the expansive attacking side of his game. We all know he can score a goal or two and gets in good positions...just his finishing needs work, I guess.

Agreed with many though, he's awful at set pieces.

They were decent last night it has to be said. JFC and Holla sit in, thats what they are told to do, receive the ball of the back 4, dictate play, and keep it nice and tidy, they both do that very well.
People around me whinge about JFC and Holla not busting a gut and getting into the box are not in my opinion realising the role they are being asked to play.
Both do it very well.

And until Stephens is fit they wont have any competition for those roles

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Bennett was Superb last night come on, that was as near as good a full back display as you are likely to see in this division, the best since Bridge left in my view.

Bennett was very good last night and could have had a hatrick, had his finishing been better. Harsh you may think, but true IMO.

The only SUPERB performance i've seen this year was DUNK's home performance a few weeks back when he scored 2 goals. That deserved the SUPERB accolade.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
If you cant see that JFC had a good game last night.......Any reasonable person would question your knowledge of the game!

One great pass leading to a goalscoring opportunity, 2 or 3 good tackles. Aside from that we got a lot of sideways and backwards passes.
Maybe I am also lacking in knowledge but for a team that spent most of the night on the attack and in the ascendancy I don't think he contributed nearly enough.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
One great pass leading to a goalscoring opportunity, 2 or 3 good tackles. Aside from that we got a lot of sideways and backwards passes.
Maybe I am also lacking in knowledge but for a team that spent most of the night on the attack and in the ascendancy I don't think he contributed nearly enough.

What do you want him to do? who else should have played then and been more effective in that role?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

That's ok isn't it? He also made one great pass on Saturday for CMS's chance in the second half, so it's not as if it's a one off.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Hmmmn, do you have any sight issues or do you sit in the west upper row z? I said to my mate last night that JFC was having a good game, he double checked the board to see if he was playing, he had just been attributing his play to either Holla or Gardener, he is going to specsavers soon.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I think he had a good game, not great but good, what let him last night was the two three shots he lashed at which he put over the bar, a little compusure and the chance may have ended up being slightly different, He likes to have a shot, nothing wrong with that, but he does often let the chance go to waist and it would be nice to see him put through a few more balls like he did for bennets second chance in the second half.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
What do you want him to do? who else should have played then and been more effective in that role?

In a game like last night I'd have preferred the guile of McCourt. Problem sorted when Stephens returns.
JFC is obv a decent player but his confidence seems rock bottom at the moment and I feel for him but are you telling me he is having a good season?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some of the shooting aside, JFC had a decent game last night.

He's 20, he has over 50 league appearances to his name - the majority of which are in the Championship for Brighton, and is always learning. To say he isn't good enough for this level is demonstrably twaddle. He has his moments of frustration and giving away silly free-kicks, but seeing as he is definitely more of an asset than a hindrance, and will only get better, I find the level of criticism and lack of appreciation churlish.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In a game like last night I'd have preferred the guile of McCourt. Problem sorted when Stephens returns.
JFC is obv a decent player but his confidence seems rock bottom at the moment and I feel for him but are you telling me he is having a good season?

So lacking in confidence that he wasn't prepared to have a shot or two (albeit waywardly) from distance. So lacking in confidence that he damn near stole a winner in the 95th minute? So lacking that he wasn't busy in midfield, harrying, hassling, winning and looking up to pass, operating well with Holla, Gardner, Bruno, Bennett et al?

Christ alone know what he'll be like when he is full of beans then...

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

I am telling you he played well last night! Much better than the 3 you gave him in the player ratings! McCourt? I can't see him being used to play that role!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
So lacking that he wasn't prepared to have a shot or two from distance. So lacking in confidence that he damn near stole a winner in the 95th minute? So lakcing that he wasn't busy in midfield, harrying, hassling, winning and looking up to pass, operating well with Holla, Gardner, Bruno, Bennett et al?

Christ alone know what he'll be like when he is full of beans then...

I'm hopeful too. He could be excellent. He's not now.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I am telling you he played well last night! Much better than the 3 you gave him in the player ratings! McCourt? I can't see him being used to play that role!

And I am telling you that JFC is extremely mediocre! Most of the time he abdicates responsibility by short square or backward passes to others who are left trying to make something happen. He plays a very limited game which is too risk averse and too easy. He appears too lacking in confidence to do anything positive

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

What role. On current form I would adjust the set up slightly in order to start with the Derry Pele instead of JFC. You wouldn't?

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
What role. On current form I would adjust the set up slightly in order to start with the Derry Pele instead of JFC. You wouldn't?

If I would change anything it would be Tex from last night. JFC and Holla have a role to play... they played it very well. Do you really think JFC was worthy of a 3 out of 10 rating?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here