Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is De Zerbi’s target and can we meet it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RDZ imo is a genius, we should go with what he wants as far as possible as I don't see us going far wrong with that strategy.
Nope. Have to stay within TB’s parameters. Spunk 000s of millions on DeZ wish-list signings, then he ****s off to Madrid or Manchester and we’re left with a colossal wage bill and players who don’t fit. I love RdeZ, but he’s a transient employee who will be gone within a few years at best, and TB is all about the long term. He’ll stay as long as his demands are aligned with what TB wants.

Last edited:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
In football, money pretty much is everything. The league table over the years is usually in line with wage bills so our final position the last couple of seasons has been phenomenal.

This years wage table looks incredibly similar to the actual table. Us and Brentford buck the trend as well as Everton and Forest for very different reasons.

I suspect we'd be near the top for position to wage spend ratio.

I think if we have aspirations to maintain a position in the top 10 we'll need to push our wage spend by 50%. I feel its a little naive to think we can keep over performing in this regard. RDZ has earned and deserves a bigger budget, if we can't give it to him we should start preparing for life without him IMO

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Bloom and Barber are both sensible enough to know what they need to keep RDZ happy but also balance the books out.

They also know that the model is working so far, and that even in that model, if they want to push on and be successful then little by little things such as wages and transfer fees will increase, as it becomes necessary to build the squad and the caliber of players you need to reach the next stage. They’ll know exactly where they need to be with this.

RDZ too knows what kind of club he’s come to. He knows what we can afford and that players will move on from us, none of that will surprise him. I think things like going for Fati will reassure him that the club are willing to think big when something comes along that suits everyone.

My only fear is that RDZ is trying to play some kind of poker game in his contract signing, by mentioning targets. There’s only going to be one winner of that game at Brighton, and it’s not going to be RDZ 🤣

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Nope. Have to stay within TB’s parameters. Spunk 000s of millions on DeZ wish-list signings, then he ****s off to Madrid or Manchester and we’re left with a colossal wage bill and players who don’t fit. I love RdeZ, but he’s a transient employee who will be gone within a few years at best, and TB is all about the long term. He’ll stay as long as his demands are aligned with what TB wants.

Thats what I mean't by "As far as possible"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd say his target is top bins, right in the postage stamp.

The music (but not the main vocal) is Mr Kitty!

One of my faves. :love:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think I'm falling into the trap of wanting RDZ to stay and feeling that Tony should give him everything he wants just to keep him here.

On reflection, I realise that this isn't the business model that has got us to where we currently are.
You're right, we are going to need to continue to develop and sell players when the club think the time is right.
And in the meantime continue finding the next great value gems to buy and polish.

RDZ has stated that he trusts and likes Tony Bloom, PBOBE and David Weir.
Hopefully they can convince RDZ to sign a further contract to stay and continue to enjoy working at Brighton.
- Even though he stands less chance of winning things than if he moved to one of the bigger clubs in the world.

I need to stop worrying that we might lose RDZ next year, I need to trust in TB, and I need to enjoy the moment that we are all currently experiencing.
There was a moment or two when I worried that we were losing Potter... and look what happened!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here