Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is De Zerbi’s target and can we meet it?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Last season we finished 5 points off fifth and only 9 off fourth despite it being RDZ first season.
And if you look back, we were right there in that fight for 4th until injuries took a toll late season. Never quite in the box seat, but we were close enough to be in with a shot until very late on. Losing the games to Forest, Everton, and Newcastle cost us - win vs Newcastle, and then a win and draw from the other teams and we would have landed 4th.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It’s not pie in the sky though is it. This season fifth place gets champions league, we are five points off that despite crippling injuries and Europe to contend with. Last season we finished 5 points off fifth and only 9 off fourth despite it being RDZ first season. He clearly feels that with more commitment to retain players and some additional investment he/we can close that relatively small gap.
And when you think that we threw away 4 points having dominated the games, despite the injuries!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
And if you look back, we were right there in that fight for 4th until injuries took a toll late season. Never quite in the box seat, but we were close enough to be in with a shot until very late on. Losing the games to Forest, Everton, and Newcastle cost us - win vs Newcastle, and then a win and draw from the other team and we would have landed 4th.
Not to mention the total robbery at Spurs

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If we get better luck with injuries then this squad will get better. Doubt anyone leaves for a while now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To get a decent medical team in?
1701801180045.png

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That could equally be interpreted along the same lines as Gus's ceiling comment.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

Yes, but only if the English club team coefficient is ranked in UEFA's top 2 this season.

Currently we're ranked 3rd, behind Belgium's club teams and Germany's.

Considering Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, West ham, Aston Villa and ourselves are all amongst the favourites to reach the final of our respective European competitions, its highly likely, but not guaranteed, that the Premier League will get an additional Champions League spot next season for the team who finish 5th this season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
RDZ knew that MacAllister & Caicedo would be high up on plenty of clubs "wanted list".

He loves working with talented players irrelevant of age or experience. I imagine he is looking for assurances that we will provide enough quality across the squad. We are only a few short

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I think it’s that we continue to strengthen our squad, year on year, so that we can compete at the highest level, whilst retaining the vast majority of top players with long contracts, to avoid losing them when we don’t want them to go. Top six and hopefully some silverware should be the target. Coming in 8th-10th this season is fine if we somehow managed to win a cup.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
But De Zerbi can't control whether other clubs offer for our players or Bloom accepts that offer.

He can control the league position and I believe that's what is being referred to.

At the end of last season, the talk was of being able to compete in 4 competitions. (well we're out of one) but I think it's this. The target is to get back into Europe and to get the latter stages of a cup
Yes but I'm sure he expects them to be adequately replaced and that doesn't mean free transfers

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I would imagine he is wanting assurances on budget. Too many posters on here frequently cite the likes of Locadia as to why we shouldn’t spend big as no guarantees etc etc. However look what happens when we do invest that little bit more, we get a player like Pedro who’s hit the ground running. I’m not saying we needs to sign five or six of those players but I’d imagine RDZ wants two or three more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here