Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is De Zerbi’s target and can we meet it?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think the worry is that this can put the the club into the realms of losing money if transfers aren't made. Unhappy players too.

There's two barriers here, one that players want to move on the other that Tony, understandably, wants a self sustaining model.

Whether there is a disconnect between RDZ and Tony on those things is impossible to say.

Why would he be "mighty pissed off"? RDZ would have expected that he be sold. (RDZ was the one who kept saying publicly early this year that he should stay another year. ) We need to sell in order to get "high quality", established players.

I'm not convinced about what your arguing here. We're not going to go from selling 3 to 5 quality players each season, which we have done over the past two years, to selling none. I'd imagine that keeping this down to one or max two is more that RDZ has in mind, provided there's sufficient cover coming from the academy, loans out, and transfers in. RDZ spoke very highly of the academy unprompted when asked about Hinshelwood.

In terms of outgoings, I suspect Mitoma is the most likely in the summer. Not only his age, but we have cover there in Adingra and Enciso -- although we could do with one more quality addition in the wide attacking areas.
The others that will be the most in-demand are either injured (Pervis), or not quite ready (Fergie and JPvH), or even both (Enciso).

I think I'm falling into the trap of wanting RDZ to stay and feeling that Tony should give him everything he wants just to keep him here.

On reflection, I realise that this isn't the business model that has got us to where we currently are.
You're right, we are going to need to continue to develop and sell players when the club think the time is right.
And in the meantime continue finding the next great value gems to buy and polish.

RDZ has stated that he trusts and likes Tony Bloom, PBOBE and David Weir.
Hopefully they can convince RDZ to sign a further contract to stay and continue to enjoy working at Brighton.
- Even though he stands less chance of winning things than if he moved to one of the bigger clubs in the world.

I need to stop worrying that we might lose RDZ next year, I need to trust in TB, and I need to enjoy the moment that we are all currently experiencing.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think I'm falling into the trap of wanting RDZ to stay and feeling that Tony should give him everything he wants just to keep him here.

On reflection, I realise that this isn't the business model that has got us to where we currently are.
You're right, we are going to need to continue to develop and sell players when the club think the time is right.
And in the meantime continue finding the next great value gems to buy and polish.

RDZ has stated that he trusts and likes Tony Bloom, PBOBE and David Weir.
Hopefully they can convince RDZ to sign a further contract to stay and continue to enjoy working at Brighton.
- Even though he stands less chance of winning things than if he moved to one of the bigger clubs in the world.

I need to stop worrying that we might lose RDZ next year, I need to trust in TB, and I need to enjoy the moment that we are all currently experiencing.
Oh, I'm as guilty as the next at wanting everything, and high up there is TB keeping RDZ at the club for as long as seems right by all parties. We will lose him at some point, but hopefully not this season or, potentially, next. If he continues to improve us, I don't expect him to be with us too much beyond that.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Listening to his interview after tonight’s game and when asked about his new contract he said lots of nice things but said again that he wants to compete for big targets and made it sound very clear if he gets reassurance he will be backed to do that he would stay.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
We get just over 30000 not 50000 in the stadium,we have a fantastic owner,not a wealthy country….! Therefore we have to be a selling club,it’s the only way,to attract the players we do as they can see a pathway regarding their career……RZ maybe sees this as his goal as well to coach the best young talent,because Bloom cannot match the likes of Man U etc financially,but we can on the pitch. That must be the shared goal.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Listening to his interview after tonight’s game and when asked about his new contract he said lots of nice things but said again that he wants to compete for big targets and made it sound very clear if he gets reassurance he will be backed to do that he would stay.
I may be misreading RDZ comments, but I got the impression that his big target is to challenge for titles.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
My guess is that the target will be linked to player retention and as a result being able to consistently challenge for a European place/competition. I think he gets where we currently sit in the food chain, but will have been disappointed about losing Mac, Caicedo and not being able to retain Colwill last summer. I would imagine that he would want assurances about not losing 3 players of that calibre again in one window.
Not deliverable; TB said he wouldn't have let MC go even for £115m unless the player wanted the move; so it is up to RDZ to convince players they are better off with us else the club will sell. He seemed to give up on MC and AM staying beyond the summer almost straightaway.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I think a genius like RDZ burns brightly but cannot burn for long. I love the man and would love him to stay with us for a decade. The problem is he is a very emotional person and to keep going as he does takes a toll on that. New contract or not, the main thing is can he maintain his levels without letting the setbacks get him down?

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
If Villa can become a top 4 team after flirting with relegation a year and a half before, why can't Brighton?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
If Villa can become a top 4 team after flirting with relegation a year and a half before, why can't Brighton?

Aston Villa wage bill £99.8 million (6th)
Brighton wage bill £47.2 million (15th)

I know there's an argument that says money isn't everything but it's difficult to compete when their budget is more than twice ours.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The idea that our business model will stay the same is unlikely to be true.
We had a model which was buy cheap talent, develop and sell for big profits.

Increasingly though, we are also buying young, emerging, but not cheap talent.
The fact we are prepared to cover Fati's wage, is a marked diversion from the perceived wage structure.

Clearly De Zerbi wants to build something here, he can't do that if he has to start from scratch at the beginning of each season.
It's likely that the club will be factoring this in to new contract negotiations and slowly the "we won't stand in the way" mantra will be modified.

Tony is a very astute business who will be able to evaluate the situation and come up with a model, that keeps the club sustainable , but offers enough incentive to keep the players and manager happy.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
RDZ has got us floating. He has been brilliant. His mesmerizing performance as a coach has elevated him above TB in status, if only temporarily.

Here’s a simple measure of that.

Three songs:
“We’ve got super Rob De Zerbi”
“Tony Bloom’s blue and white army”
Whatever it was we sang about Potter

Think about the frequency with which you heard these sung during the tenancy of the two managers.

RDZ has rightly swept us off our feet, and I hope he stays. I hope TB is loving the leadership he brings.

But RDZ is just an employee. A brilliant one. The man who is responsible for setting the vision and goals is TB, because he knows, and RDZ knows, that he will be here longer.

I’m kind of reminded of where Brian Clough was when his ego allowed him to get himself the sack at Derby. I’m not saying RDZ is a Clough, but together we must guard against getting into a one night stand of passion and forgetting who our true love is.

I think TB has goals for regular top 6, and goals for turning the academy into a place that keeps producing top class talent. He’ll also have goals for the Women’s and Men’s team to win a trophy and for our youth team to have more internationals than others. Stuff like that. But ultimately, his goals will be success and sustainability.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
RDZ has got us floating. He has been brilliant. His mesmerizing performance as a coach has elevated him above TB in status, if only temporarily.

Here’s a simple measure of that.

Three songs:
“We’ve got super Rob De Zerbi”
“Tony Bloom’s blue and white army”
Whatever it was we sang about Potter

Think about the frequency with which you heard these sung during the tenancy of the two managers.

RDZ has rightly swept us off our feet, and I hope he stays. I hope TB is loving the leadership he brings.

But RDZ is just an employee. A brilliant one. The man who is responsible for setting the vision and goals is TB, because he knows, and RDZ knows, that he will be here longer.

I’m kind of reminded of where Brian Clough was when his ego allowed him to get himself the sack at Derby. I’m not saying RDZ is a Clough, but together we must guard against getting into a one night stand of passion and forgetting who our true love is.

I think TB has goals for regular top 6, and goals for turning the academy into a place that keeps producing top class talent. He’ll also have goals for the Women’s and Men’s team to win a trophy and for our youth team to have more internationals than others. Stuff like that. But ultimately, his goals will be success and sustainability.
Agree with all of that, but there’s no doubt DeZ has caused TB to rethink his goals, and the speed at which he‘s going to seek to achieve them. Pre RdeZ, it was clearly be a ‘top ten’ team as this was regularly stated - he didn’t expect a top 6 finish so soon…….

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
And if you look back, we were right there in that fight for 4th until injuries took a toll late season. Never quite in the box seat, but we were close enough to be in with a shot until very late on. Losing the games to Forest, Everton, and Newcastle cost us - win vs Newcastle, and then a win and draw from the other teams and we would have landed 4th.
We were bang in the fight until we were screwed over at Spurs. If we had rightly won that game we were bang in the mix for top 4.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good news is despite our patchy run and patched up team of kids we’re still only 5 points off 4th now……..really can see us pushing in the second half of the season if we can get through to the Jan mini-break around where we are now, maybe add a couple of key players to the squad in the window and start to see injured players returning.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Enjoy it while it lasts, he will be a very hard act to follow. The text target will be a trophy as simple as that. Just imagine for a moment if Todd hadn't phoned.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
If his target is to become an eatablished Champions League club then, sadly, that’s pie in the sky given the resources of others. Top half consistently, yes - should definitely aim for that I think and with a strong enough squad to make a cup a possibility.
I agree but I think that is his personal career ambition tbh - Shakhtar had qualified for the Champions League and had also won the Ukranian Supercup when he reluctantly left - you can’t blame him for wanting a club he can compete with at that level - it’s the dreams of top players too and it’s not something we should begrudge players or managers if they have the talent, which RDZ clearly has. Without a big injection of cash I can’t see that being us tbh - so it’s a question of whether RDZ and the Club shares that same target and I’m not sure how much more we should expect from TB - I feel he’s invested so much already of his own money (is it now around £400m the club ‘owes’ him?) - the times for single owner clubs to compete at top level is running out IMO. In the meantime, a 6-9 place finish and the last 16 of the Europa would be seen as a very good season by everyone given the ridiculous and unavoidable extent of our injuries so far this season (especially Solly and Pervis out longterm). A modest expenditure in January to plug up a couple of gaps (inc LW/FB) is not out of the question but the interview doesn’t give me any confidence he wouldn’t turn down an offer from a Champions League side (or at least a club large enough to be a regular contender) if one came calling. Let’s enjoy him while we have him.

Anyway
The Amazon post-match pitchside interview if anyone missed it

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Aston Villa wage bill £99.8 million (6th)
Brighton wage bill £47.2 million (15th)

I know there's an argument that says money isn't everything but it's difficult to compete when their budget is more than twice ours.

In football, money pretty much is everything. The league table over the years is usually in line with wage bills so our final position the last couple of seasons has been phenomenal.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
RDZ imo is a genius, we should go with what he wants as far as possible as I don't see us going far wrong with that strategy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here