Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Ankergren still doing at the club?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
He was number 3 to Brez last year though, maybe sometimes due to injury, but actually Brez was better than some of the Anks performances.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Charming. Apologies for not getting my facts right. I incorrectly thought it was a 2 year contract. My opinion is that he's not a 'decent enough' keeper. I think he's really poor and his presence gives no confidence to those in front of him. He's ok at best at shot stopping and his distribution with his feet is good but with crossing, coming out and balls in the air he is so uncertain it's unbelievable. While he was part of the team who kept those clean sheets, I was anticipating people pointing out the clean sheets in his defence so I wanted to state that I think that was more due to the class of our team, rather than only his abilities. He can take some credit but I think we would have done the same with an even worse goalkeeper. Additionally, all the mistakes he makes do not constitute the 'odd mistake' too.

I hope I am a fool to think he would be number 1 but our inept recruitment in the 2 plus months since the end of last season leads me to dread that he might end up number 1 which would desperate. Plus as it's been pointed out what about injuries? I don't know why anyone on here can be confident we will sign a goalkeeper before the season starts.

But this isn't what you put in your first post. Your first post suggested that he had no qualities and played no part in the clean sheets when we went up. Which is simply not true.

He's a solid enough option for second/third choice. We have an exciting young keeper coming through and, I'm pretty confident, a new number one coming. Who would come to us on that basis? We've got to the play offs the last two seasons with Brezovan/Ankergren as back up and they competed for number one our first season up when we came 10th. Hardly as bad as you suggested in your original post.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
The thing that annoys me most about Casper is his inability to make a decision on where to kick the ball when he has it, he ends up putting too much pressure on the defence

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I hope all you lot saying he'll be valuable back up are still happy if our new number one picks up a long term injury.

So what do you suggest? We sign two number ones on significant wages in case one of them gets injured. What happens if they both get injured? Should we have three numbers ones and not spend money on other positions?

There's also this thing called the loan market, which could be an option.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I do feel it slightly odd that we released Brez whilst keeping on Ankergren, given his lack of game time. That's said, his distribution is championship standard at the very least, and given the way we play that carries massive significance. I don't think he'll be first choice come the end of the transfer window mind.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He is an appalling goalkeeper who makes disastrous errors (Forest, Middlesborough, Rochdale to name a few) and his pathetic flapping at everything in the air makes the whole defence retreat virtually to the goal line. We would have beaten or drew against Arsenal if he wasn't in goal that day. All the clean sheets in the league 1 title year were down to a good defence and being a brilliant team rather than anything he was doing.

As the season nears I'm beginning to think the club will be happy with his as number 1, with the rookie Walton learning off the 'experienced pro' type thing. This can't happen. Who made the decision to give him a 2 year contract? Why? Awful, awful, awful.

well if he goes and Walton gets injured lets hope you have some good goalkeeping gloves :lolol:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The thing that annoys me most about Casper is his inability to make a decision on where to kick the ball when he has it, he ends up putting too much pressure on the defence
Unlike, say PIG, who just pumped it straight out of play every time?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
If he's no.1 on the 9th I'll eat my cat. He's a good no.2 and that's why he's still here. Hopefully Walton will develop this season to be no.2 soon.
Glasfryn will be so cross if we don't sign a first choice keeper, maybe you should eat your hat instead.

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
Probably brezovan was on more wages then ankergan, so as there both number 2s ( with also Walton stepping up )..

They got rid of brezovan! Pig wanted to leave anyway!

Still people on here shouldn't worry, they will have a New number 1 keeper before transfers finish.. (The club know there transfer requirements )

JoshFanner

Jul 22, 2013
He is one of our weakest players but I heard that is provides a good voice in the changing rooms and is a very beneficial person to have there even if he isn't playing. Perhaps that is why he is still at the club, more to do with his persona and his charisma around the team than to do with his playing abilities?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
So what do you suggest? We sign two number ones on significant wages in case one of them gets injured. What happens if they both get injured? Should we have three numbers ones and not spend money on other positions?

There's also this thing called the loan market, which could be an option.

I'm willing to bet there's Conference goalkeepers who'd be a better option
Or use Walton as back up, he looks a capable understudy.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm willing to bet there's Conference goalkeepers who'd be a better option
Or use Walton as back up, he looks a capable understudy.

It's comments like that that make it clear that you're clueless. Ankergren is a very good League 1 keeper and a decent Championship back up.

Aimed at the Conference keeper comment by the way. I think Walton may well be number two this year.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Personally, I'd put my arm around Walton's shoulder, point at Casper and say...

Watch everything he does as a keeper.....

and ****ing IGNORE IT!!!!!!!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Casper is ok. Not brilliant but not worthy of the slaughtering he gets on here. PIG made a howler at Forest last season too, and at Birmingham. Brez was rooted to the spot at Hull in the FA Cup replay for the first goal. The OP is just whining for the sake of it. Casper won't be first choice, but if he starts in a match then you have a choice of getting behind him, as I will do for any Albion player, or booing, just like some did when we had a loan keeper under Poyet, and that was before and during the match.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
He is an appalling goalkeeper who makes disastrous errors (Forest, Middlesborough, Rochdale to name a few) and his pathetic flapping at everything in the air makes the whole defence retreat virtually to the goal line. We would have beaten or drew against Arsenal if he wasn't in goal that day. All the clean sheets in the league 1 title year were down to a good defence and being a brilliant team rather than anything he was doing.

As the season nears I'm beginning to think the club will be happy with his as number 1, with the rookie Walton learning off the 'experienced pro' type thing. This can't happen. Who made the decision to give him a 2 year contract? Why? Awful, awful, awful.

Well I would say at the moment it's coz he is the only senior keeper we have ????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here