Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is a Hipster?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
when i was back last year most young lads seem to want to look like an exceptionally gay and skinny version of casey jones.........one ****ing direction have got a lot to answer for...

Is that where it's from? I cant's abide it. The rolled up T-Shirt arms especially. It really looks very bent.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Dick Hebdidge's excellent SUBCULTURE the meaning of style is a good overview on matters stylistic post-WWII in the UK :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its the tastiest thing I've ever eaten - myself and the wife have had a long term plan to spend a fair bit of time in Japan so was just curious if I could get it or something similar. Cheers.

Have you been before?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Hipsters have been around since the 1940s. They've morphed a few times, they started off in America as jazz fans and in Britain in the 1950s and early 1960s they were part of the Beat Generation and had long(ish) greasy hair. They wore roll-neck sweaters and sat smoking in coffee bars listening to American music and reading Jack Kerouac and Allan Ginsberg. American hipsters then grew their hair a bit longer and became hippies.

Didn't know they'd been re-invented, but then I remember when R 'n' B music was guitar-based and not a branch of Disco.

This seems right to me, though I don't imagine any of them know who Jack Kerouac is these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here