Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is a Hipster?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I am sure that is a girl I went out with in the 60's

I don't remember them looking that good in those days Glas. I certainly don't remember seeing so much of them, and you had to put a lot of effort in just to see any skin at all. :blush:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Forgive my ignorance, what is TGCTE?
A podcast called The Complete Guide To Everything.

2 New York 30 somethings chatting ranting and wise cracking about ... everything.

They are very much anti Hipster.

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Can someone explain the skinny jean fad that's popular at the moment? They look rather camp but all the under 21's seem to be wearing them. Is it a reaction to baggy jeans which look equally as ridiculous? What's wrong with jeans that fit?? I have even spotted blokes in LEGGINGS which is plain wrong.

Im sure you will be glad to know I don't! :wave:

TBH skinny jeans/meggings etc. are the trend at the moment, like they were a few years back. People just following the crowds being sheep.

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I think one of the most important elements of a Hipster is that they listen to bands with swear words in their names who you haven't heard of.

You leave xxckbuttons out if this. And yes they are a band, and quite good for something alternative to the mainstream.

And no I don't dress like someone who shops in the bins of Oxfam, so I'm definitely not a hipster.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
Elaine described Kramer as a Hipster Dufus ;)
tumblr_kyft3wuOkW1qb9q1oo1_400.jpg

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't find hipsters as annoying as the new look for most teenagers which seems to be bent looking teenage boys mincing about in Hollister tops and showing each other their pathetic 16yr old biceps.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I have a good idea of the kind of person that constitutes a hipster now. So my next question is: D Hipsters call themselves hipsters? Are they proud of their hipsterness?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't find hipsters as annoying as the new look for most teenagers which seems to be bent looking teenage boys mincing about in Hollister tops and showing each other their pathetic 16yr old biceps.

The new look is really bizarre - seems to be 80s Brooklyn hiphop (swag, obey etc) mixed with Hollister surfer models. All look like knobs though.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have a good idea of the kind of person that constitutes a hipster now. So my next question is: D Hipsters call themselves hipsters? Are they proud of their hipsterness?

I think a true hipster would never think he was a hipster. A true hipster would laugh along at that "Being a dickhead's cool" video along with the rest of us, blissfully unaware that it was about him/her.

On an unrelated note, does Tori Chilli Don exist in Japan? It's a ridiculous nice sweet, spicy chicken dish at Pompoko in Brighton.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think a true hipster would never think he was a hipster. A true hipster would laugh along at that "Being a dickhead's cool" video along with the rest of us, blissfully unaware that it was about him/her.

On an unrelated note, does Tori Chilli Don exist in Japan? It's a ridiculous nice sweet, spicy chicken dish at Pompoko in Brighton.

Chicken chili bowl? I'm not sure. Off the top of my head I can't remember having seen it. I'm sure you can get tori don so I'm sure somewhere will have a chili version.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

when i was back last year most young lads seem to want to look like an exceptionally gay and skinny version of casey jones.........one ****ing direction have got a lot to answer for...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Chicken chili bowl? I'm not sure. Off the top of my head I can't remember having seen it. I'm sure you can get tori don so I'm sure somewhere will have a chili version.

Its the tastiest thing I've ever eaten - myself and the wife have had a long term plan to spend a fair bit of time in Japan so was just curious if I could get it or something similar. Cheers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hipsters have been around since the 1940s. They've morphed a few times, they started off in America as jazz fans and in Britain in the 1950s and early 1960s they were part of the Beat Generation and had long(ish) greasy hair. They wore roll-neck sweaters and sat smoking in coffee bars listening to American music and reading Jack Kerouac and Allan Ginsberg. American hipsters then grew their hair a bit longer and became hippies.

Didn't know they'd been re-invented, but then I remember when R 'n' B music was guitar-based and not a branch of Disco.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here