Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is a Hipster?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Basically the type of person you are guaranteed to hit, if throwing stones in Brighton, Greenpoint/Williamsberg NYC, Wicker Park Chicago.
Alternatively take your lucky stone to Shimokitazawa and start luzzing.

And Neukolln.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Working my way through all the old TGCTEs now, following your recommendation. I think I've reached the tail end of 2009. So, so funny.
My instant thought goes to Tim buying a table from Williamsberg Ikea.
Had he been armed there would no longer be any hipsters, in W/Berg.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think one of the most important elements of a Hipster is that they listen to bands with swear words in their names who you haven't heard of.

And if you're a working hipster (ie work in the new digital industries) you will ride to work on a fixed wheel bike (or a "fixy")

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And if you're a working hipster (ie work in the new digital industries) you will ride to work on a fixed wheel bike (or a "fixy")
If nobody is going to appreciate my comedy stylings from post #18, I'm going to be a pedant:-

Theya re called fixie

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ironic moustaches but this season with beards. Old trucker hats or trilbies. 3/4 length drainpipe chinos, boating shoes.

Neck and hand tattoos optional. Old style camcorders. Always with rollies, never a pack of Marlboro Light or whatever. Shoreditch, Hoxton, maybe even Homerton or Hackney Wick. Always coffee, never tea. Those stupid massive things that stretch their earlobes.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Ironic moustaches but this season with beards. Old trucker hats or trilbies. 3/4 length drainpipe chinos, boating shoes.

Neck and hand tattoos optional. Old style camcorders. Always with rollies, never a pack of Marlboro Light or whatever. Shoreditch, Hoxton, maybe even Homerton or Hackney Wick. Always coffee, never tea. Those stupid massive things that stretch their earlobes.

Never tea? I'm almost certain herbal tea is one of several 'hipster tipples'.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Alternatively take your lucky stone to Shimokitazawa and start luzzing.

This worries me. I've not been for a couple of years but shimokitazawa is/used to be my favourite part of tokyo. Home to the best okonomiyaki in the city, my favourite bar and loads of live houses playing music that wasn't shite j-pop. It is/was a very open and friendly place too. Something that can't always be said for the other towns in tokyo.

Have you been there or are you basing it on what you've read?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This worries me. I've not been for a couple of years but shimokitazawa is/used to be my favourite part of tokyo. Home to the best okonomiyaki in the city, my favourite bar and loads of live houses playing music that wasn't shite j-pop. It is/was a very open and friendly place too. Something that can't always be said for the other towns in tokyo.

10 second search.

I'm beginning to think Mr GNLF is after a Hipster guide book not a Hipster slagging off!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They'll have one of those achingly cool style magazines such as Wallpaper with a circulation of a few thousand and can only be bought in that newsagents in Wardour Street.

Oh look there's a photoshoot in it with Lily Cole showing her minge. It's okay though, she looks unhappy. It must be art.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
10 second search.

I'm beginning to think Mr GNLF is after a Hipster guide book not a Hipster slagging off!!

It appears I don't need a guide. According to this four of my favourite areas of tokyo are in the top five tokyo hipster 'neighbourhoods'. http://www.japan-talk.com/jt/new/5-hipster-neighborhoods-in-Tokyo For what it's worth the one place I don't like is nakameguro a place full of pretentious nobcheeses.

That said, that website seems to call anywhere with bars and live houses and people who don't dress as salarymen a hipster haven which doesn't match what everyone else on this thread is saying.

Edit: Although there are a lot of people riding those one geared bikes in the quoted places.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

I love okonomiyaki!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although there are a lot of people riding those one geared bikes in the quoted places.
Ah but that's not ironic in Japan, what with the Keirin scene being big business over there.

Again, that's a level of knowledge that would actually be lost on any self respecting hipster riding a fixie.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They'll have one of those achingly cool style magazines such as Wallpaper with a circulation of a few thousand and can only be bought in that newsagents in Wardour Street.

Oh look there's a photoshoot in it with Lily Cole showing her minge. It's okay though, she looks unhappy. It must be art.

Don't forget Vice magazine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
View attachment 43469

This sums it up pretty well. They are IMPOSSIBLY COOL. In their heads.

Oh dear. This looks a bit like me apart from the beer (German wheat beer), shoes (DMs) and cigarette (none). What's this "bad food from Burwash"? Does this represent over-priced farm shop food? My brother lives in Burwash, does all his proper shopping outside Burwash though. If I told my wife or kids that I was a hipster, I think they'd laugh in my face and say "No, you're really not a hipster." And they'd be right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here