Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What exactly would the next manager do that would make everything good?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think the OP is correct. I don't think another Manager could get much more out of this group of players.

But they are almost all his group now. He dismantled the team he inherited and he will have to live or die with who he fields each week.

He has to keep going with his philosophy because I don't think he can adapt to playing differently. And I think he will still yield enough points over the season to stay up.

However there has been at least 4 new threads started about the Manager today alone. And once that happens it becomes difficult for him.

Agreed except final sentence. Think we are bigging NSC up too much here. TB will make the decision. He showed his tough side sacking CH just 6 months after offering a new contract, but CH had done a good stint. GP is only in season 2. Every reason to think DA was behind the signing; not sure TB would go against it yet.

Also, the sack race has slowed recently. Think TB will be looking at Norwich. Farke has stayed and steered Norwich to top spot. Dyche got Burnley back to PL.

The real question IMO is why so many players have lost form and confidence. I dont think we can know the cause and effect. Has GP's tinkering undermined players, or are they out of form so he has to change?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agreed except final sentence. Think we are bigging NSC up too much here. TB will make the decision. He showed his tough side sacking CH just 6 months after offering a new contract, but CH had done a good stint. GP is only in season 2. Every reason to think DA was behind the signing; not sure TB would go against it yet.

Also, the sack race has slowed recently. Think TB will be looking at Norwich. Farke has stayed and steered Norwich to top spot. Dyche got Burnley back to PL.

The real question IMO is why so many players have lost form and confidence. I dont think we can know the cause and effect. Has GP's tinkering undermined players, or are they out of form so he has to change?

I wasn't referring to the Hierarchy. He definitely won't be sacked. I am certain of that.

My final para was only really referencing the fans.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good point Swanny. The players are letting Potter down badly at the moment IMO.

I’m going to be so pissed off if the likes of Ryan, Dunk, Trossard, Maupay and Connolly’s dreadful performances this season cost us potentially the best manager we’ve ever had. Not to mention shocking displays from Burn and AJ when they’ve come in.

We have got some some average players that Potter is trying to get the most of but we’ve also got senior players who haven’t been at the races this season and need to look at themselves.

I hope there are funds to back him in January.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Good point Swanny. The players are letting Potter down badly at the moment IMO.

I’m going to be so pissed off if the likes of Ryan, Dunk, Trossard, Maupay and Connolly’s dreadful performances this season cost us potentially the best manager we’ve ever had. Not to mention shocking displays from Burn and AJ when they’ve come in.

We have got some some average players that Potter is trying to get the most of but we’ve also got senior players who haven’t been at the races this season and need to look at themselves.

I hope there are funds to back him in January.

Is it their fault though? Why is Dunk struggling? Because he is shit? Or because he is playing in a 3 with zonal marking? Why can't Ryan make a save any more? Because he isn't suddenly a decent shot stopper? Or because of the defensive line, because of zonal marking, because of coaching, because he has had a bust up behind the scenes? Why does Trossard look bang average? Because he is shit or because he hasn't played in his most natural postion all season?

I'm not saying the players shouldn't take some blame. But it's also about how they are managed. It has to be, otherwise what exactly is the point of a manager?

Also, if they are so bad why is he playing them? Why isn't Mac or Alzate playing instead of Tross? Why hasn't Dunk been dropped? Why did Connolly and Maupay start today? That is his decision.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I don't know about the "next manager" but I'd like to see more urgency when attacking.

More speed, one touch football.
I've seen glimpses of it when Lallana is higher up the pitch with Welbeck.
Throw Lamptey in the mix and we look a lot more dangerous. And FAST.

The quality of passing and finishing in the final third just seems to be deteriorating...
The stats for xG and big chances etc. are very high. The finishing is abysmal.

Sheffield United's McGoldrick appears to be far more clinical than anyone we have. Two goals at Man U. Superb direct free-kick and assist vs us today.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Is it their fault though? Why is Dunk struggling? Because he is shit? Or because he is playing in a 3 with zonal marking? Why can't Ryan make a save any more? Because he isn't suddenly a decent shot stopper? Or because of the defensive line, because of zonal marking, because of coaching, because he has had a bust up behind the scenes? Why does Trossard look bang average? Because he is shit or because he hasn't played in his most natural postion all season?

I'm not saying the players shouldn't take some blame. But it's also about how they are managed. It has to be, otherwise what exactly is the point of a manager?

Also, if they are so bad why is he playing them? Why isn't Mac or Alzate playing instead of Tross? Why hasn't Dunk been dropped? Why did Connolly and Maupay start today? That is his decision.

Good post

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Exactly.
Players are told to play a certain way. That is how they are coached. They are raw materials that are moulded in the form of the manager.
We play better when we play a higher pace and more direct. Because that suits our players. What Potter is trying (what?) is not suiting them.

He is guilty of overthinking a lot of the time. The problem with these so called ' deep thinkers ' is that they tend to miss the simple things, over coach and ultimately stifle.
We are caught between two styles and it is down to the manager. I have serious doubts about the whole quality of the management/coaching team. We seem to lack variety from set pieces and defensively we have been found out too many times, in this respect.
I don't expect any change of manager soon so I just want to see that he and his support team are actually learning from the number of mistakes that they have made and at least try and do some things differently. At present, we are too predictable and thus, much easier to play against.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I think the OP is correct. I don't think another Manager could get much more out of this group of players.

But they are almost all his group now. He dismantled the team he inherited and he will have to live or die with who he fields each week.

He has to keep going with his philosophy because I don't think he can adapt to playing differently. And I think he will still yield enough points over the season to stay up.

However there has been at least 4 new threads started about the Manager today alone. And once that happens it becomes difficult for him.

Because Tony Bloom makes all his decisions from lurking on NSC.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I wasn't referring to the Hierarchy. He definitely won't be sacked. I am certain of that.

My final para was only really referencing the fans.

I think this might be Potter's biggest problem. As far as I can tell he doesn't seem to have connected with the fan base much, if at all. I might be wrong as I'm on the other side of the world but there doesn't appear to be the connection that Hughton had, or for that matter Poyet or even Garcia.

When you don't have the fans fully on board with you you're in trouble. It's probably a good thing that we're going through a sticky patch behind essentially closed doors otherwise the discontent could become infectious, certainly amongst the match going support.

We're such a frustrating team at the moment. We're so close to being a decent side but at the same time we're miles away. And performances like today where we labour against the team bottom of the league, with the worst ever(ever or just premier league?) start to a top flight season and who had a man sent off in the first half aren't going to help the situation.

We need to turn things round pretty fast otherwise this malaise is in danger of becoming terminal. Luckily we've got West Ham and Arsenal up next, two teams we've lost to a combined total of once in the premier league. Should be an easy six points...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If people genuinely believe this is the best we can expect from this group of players - 2 points v two teams below us, at home. Including 1 point against a team who played with 10 men for over 50 minutes in their 14th game of a season in which they had only got one point in the previous 13, well then I don't see how anyone can believe we're staying up this year.

I think the question in the OP is incredibly telling. Not going to argue whether Potter is to blame, instead sets up a straw man of how the next person is going to give us the champions league football we're supposedly calling for. It's disingenuous and petty. If you want to stand up for Potter do so, if you can. If you want to highlight the flaws in the players. Do so if you can. Don't act like people have unrealistic high expectations when they see us again struggle with teams below us, the year is drawing to an end with how many home league wins?

What do I want to see? Consistency in team line up. Teams thrive when players are comfortable and familiar with each other, there are partnerships all over the pitch, with players know what sort of run to expect, what sort of cross to put in. Changing teams every week because we're picking the team suited to our opponents isn't working. It's not about 'best 11 doesn't exist these days', it's about knowing who you're playing with and whether you can swing a high ball into the box or if Connelly is the lone striker today.

Maybe not have a coach who instead of admitting we started the season with only two strikers, claim Trossard and AJ are strikers and then wonder why they keep trying to come in the middle like strikers instead of staying on the wing. Wouldn't be so bad if they could find the target.

Maybe have a coach/manager who instils a desire. So when we're 2-1 down v southampton and turn over possession in the first minute of injury time, Solly March doesn't have to stand there and wait for teammates to get forward. That two minutes later when we get a throw in, we're not faffing around on the edge of our box with it. When we have a man advantage we make it work.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think this might be Potter's biggest problem. As far as I can tell he doesn't seem to have connected with the fan base much, if at all. I might be wrong as I'm on the other side of the world but there doesn't appear to be the connection that Hughton had, or for that matter Poyet or even Garcia.

When you don't have the fans fully on board with you you're in trouble. It's probably a good thing that we're going through a sticky patch behind essentially closed doors otherwise the discontent could become infectious, certainly amongst the match going support.

We're such a frustrating team at the moment. We're so close to being a decent side but at the same time we're miles away. And performances like today where we labour against the team bottom of the league, with the worst ever(ever or just premier league?) start to a top flight season and who had a man sent off in the first half aren't going to help the situation.

We need to turn things round pretty fast otherwise this malaise is in danger of becoming terminal. Luckily we've got West Ham and Arsenal up next, two teams we've lost to a combined total of once in the premier league. Should be an easy six points...

The two other Managers you mention built their Respective Reputation s with the fans by achieving a Promotion. But I would disagree that Potter didn't build up "credit" with the fans. I think he did by being brave with the style of football he played.

All this can be turned around with a couple of wins again but once doubt is sewn in the minds of the fans they will blow with the wind dictated by results from here on in.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Obviously not helped by lockdown, now the fans are back we are struggling, and rotten at home.
For whatever reason fans like people involved at their club with a bit of fire in their belly. Potter isn't likely to win anyone over without a serious upturn in results.
Clearly he has the backing of the suits though.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Get a new captain for a start, we have no leadership on the pitch.

Sanchez was the most vocal player on the pitch today, he didn't stop shouting his encouragement all game.

Impressive for a young player making only his 3rd start.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If people genuinely believe this is the best we can expect from this group of players - 2 points v two teams below us, at home. Including 1 point against a team who played with 10 men for over 50 minutes in their 14th game of a season in which they had only got one point in the previous 13, well then I don't see how anyone can believe we're staying up this year.

I think the question in the OP is incredibly telling. Not going to argue whether Potter is to blame, instead sets up a straw man of how the next person is going to give us the champions league football we're supposedly calling for. It's disingenuous and petty. If you want to stand up for Potter do so, if you can. If you want to highlight the flaws in the players. Do so if you can. Don't act like people have unrealistic high expectations when they see us again struggle with teams below us, the year is drawing to an end with how many home league wins?

What do I want to see? Consistency in team line up. Teams thrive when players are comfortable and familiar with each other, their are partnerships all over the pitch, with players know what sort of run to expect, what sort of cross to put in. Changing teams every week because we're picking the team suited to our opponents isn't working. It's not about 'best 11 doesn't exist these days', it's about knowing who you're playing with and whether you can swing a high ball into the box or if Connelly is the lone striker today.

Maybe not have a coach who instead of admitting we started the season with only two strikers, claim Trossard and AJ are strikers and then wonder why they keep trying to come in the middle like strikers instead of staying on the wing. Wouldn't be so bad if they could find the target.

Maybe have a coach/manager who instils a desire. So when we're 2-1 down v southampton and turn over possession in the first minute of injury time, Solly March doesn't have to stand there and wait for teammates to get forward. That two minutes later when we get a throw in, we're not faffing around on the edge of our box with it. When we have a man advantage we make it work.

Swanny doesn't actually say 'here are some reasons why i disagree with you'. He just says 'you are wrong'.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The two other Managers you mention built their Respective Reputation s with the fans by achieving a Promotion. But I would disagree that Potter didn't build up "credit" with the fans. I think he did by being brave with the style of football he played.

All this can be turned around with a couple of wins again but once doubt is sewn in the minds of the fans they will blow with the wind dictated by results from here on in.

Sadly Oscar didn't get us promoted, we got absolutely battered by Derby in the play offs.

It's a good point about Poyet and Oscar playing winning football(not necessarily attractive-at least in the case of Oscar), things are always rosier when you're winning and yes a couple of wins will calm the seas for a bit but my main point is I don't think Potter has connected with enough of the fanbase yet.

Until the fans buy into him then he's entirely reliant on results and as we're a club with one of the smallest budgets in the league consistent positive results are going to be hard to come by he's always going to be on the edge of disquiet.

But, like I said, I'm on the other side of the world so if the match going public have bought into them and I'm misreading the mood of the fanbase I'm happy to stand corrected and won't argue the point!

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
He is guilty of overthinking a lot of the time. The problem with these so called ' deep thinkers ' is that they tend to miss the simple things, over coach and ultimately stifle.
We are caught between two styles and it is down to the manager. I have serious doubts about the whole quality of the management/coaching team. We seem to lack variety from set pieces and defensively we have been found out too many times, in this respect.
I don't expect any change of manager soon so I just want to see that he and his support team are actually learning from the number of mistakes that they have made and at least try and do some things differently. At present, we are too predictable and thus, much easier to play against.

This. DA may also be playing invisible hand here. Too many chiefs, too much analysis, too much tinkering.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If the manager really does have the final say on transfers, say “no” a bit more, and play more directly in the final third.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here