Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What exactly would the next manager do that would make everything good?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I don't know what to think - last season Potter seemed a tactical genius. This season we theoretically have better players (Lamptey, White, Lallana, Welbeck...) but something's not working. There have been some excellent performances (Man Utd, Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool), but too many average ones. When Hughton went I thought it was absolutely the right decision - we were awful for 6 months, and only going in one direction.

Are we "crap" because we can't score, or are we "crap" because the manager can't get the tactics right or motivate the team? I think it's much more the former....if we'd won the last two matches (which we very easily could and should have done) we'd be having a very different debate.

Sacking Potter would be (on paper) the easy solution - but presumably we'd have to get rid of Billy Reid and Hamberg, too? And possibly MacAulay?. And then we'd have to re-recruit for all those positions.

I'm absolutely convinced that TB sees this as a long term project, with Potter as part of it. The U23s and U18s play a similar style. The objective is to develop our own players and bring them through. It takes a lot longer than going out and splashing £150m+ on new players (eg: Villa, Everton, etc). It may get more painful, but I can't see Potter being sacked.

Jun 20, 2020
You know full well that you won't be getting this debate from the fans who want to be vocal today.

Those fans all believe that Eddie Howe would turn Maupay and Connoly into 20 goals a season forwards.

I would happily take a manager who could turn them into 5 goal a season strikers right now.

Potter has coached all confidence out of them and many others.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Did you actually watch the way Sheffield United were scrapping for everything as opposed to way even in the dying seconds we were just walking it up the pitch?

Its not a question of "motivation", its a question of playing it to a team mate or a space where a team mate is looking to move rather than just kicking the ball for the sake of kicking the ball. It has zero to do with motivation. You actually think there is a lack of motivation in the final minutes of a 1-1 or 0-1 football game? You think they actually believe "nah this is boooring, I want to go home and play Yatzy"? In that case I assume you've never met a professional footballer and even less so played football yourself.

Its like Maupay said at the beginning of last season when people were moaning about passing the ball around in the back line - its not without purpose, its not because they are lazy, its because they are looking for team mates and spaces and wont randomly hoof the ball until they find one.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the OP is correct. I don't think another Manager could get much more out of this group of players.

But they are almost all his group now. He dismantled the team he inherited and he will have to live or die with who he fields each week.

He has to keep going with his philosophy because I don't think he can adapt to playing differently. And I think he will still yield enough points over the season to stay up.

However there has been at least 4 new threads started about the Manager today alone. And once that happens it becomes difficult for him.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I think the OP is correct. I don't think another Manager could get much more out of this group of players.

But they are almost all his group now. He dismantled the team he inherited and he will have to live or die with who he fields each week.

He has to keep going with his philosophy because I don't think he can adapt to playing differently. And I think he will still yield enough points over the season to stay up.

However there has been at least 4 new threads started about the Manager today alone. And once that happens it becomes difficult for him.

This is interesting, and i think you're right.
The mistake is thinking this is Hughton's team. It isn't - It is his squad. He made some massive, massive calls- Duffy out, Stephens out, Propper not fancied. Whatever has happened with Ryan (something happened after the first game he was dropped, clearly).
So that is another thing- what can a new manager do? Bring his own players in.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Things can change very quickly though...a few weeks ago we had just beaten Villa and drawn with Liverpool. Potter was definitely IN.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Two things:
1. Our overall speed of play - it makes it too easy to defend against. I think just upping the tempo would have a huge effect.
2. Recycling the ball after a clearance. When we regain possession near the opposition box after a headed clearance, for example, this is a hugely advantageous position. Continue the attack from this position by playing it wide and then crossing, hitting a through ball to a striker, or just playing it to the back post. Invariably, we prioritise possession in this situation by playing it back into our half and having to start all over again. Its not the percentage option.

Bilić IN!

Actually thats not that unlikely. a LOT of press said it was a ridiculous sacking for a manger playing basically with a championship team, who still managed to do something we never did, take a point away to Man City right before he was sacked.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This is interesting, and i think you're right.
The mistake is thinking this is Hughton's team. It isn't - It is his squad. He made some massive, massive calls- Duffy out, Stephens out, Propper not fancied. Whatever has happened with Ryan (something happened after the first game he was dropped, clearly).
So that is another thing- what can a new manager do? Bring his own players in.

But those calls were probably right - Celtic have been very poor this season. Stephens can't get in the Burnley team. Ryan has been well below average this season (and Sanchez has been excellent). He also made calls on Knocky and Glenn - both obviously correct, Montoya, Bernardo.....Plus Andone and Locardia last year.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Two things:
1. Our overall speed of play - it makes it too easy to defend against. I think just upping the tempo would have a huge effect.
2. Recycling the ball after a clearance. When we regain possession near the opposition box after a headed clearance, for example, this is a hugely advantageous position. Continue the attack from this position by playing it wide and then crossing, hitting a through ball to a striker, or just playing it to the back post. Invariably, we prioritise possession in this situation by playing it back into our half and having to start all over again. Its not the percentage option.

Good post
I agree.

We are ponderous.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
...and where does that stem from?

Exactly.
Players are told to play a certain way. That is how they are coached. They are raw materials that are moulded in the form of the manager.
We play better when we play a higher pace and more direct. Because that suits our players. What Potter is trying (what?) is not suiting them.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
After lockdown we had minority possession for the majority of games, we also picked up our best results of the second half of that season.

A new manager might build on that instead of reverting to a game plan that had us in a relegation battle.

We looked great as a counter attacking team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here