Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What do you want from an Albion home kit?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
With yesterday's release of the 23/24 home kit we've seen the usual reactions. Some like it, some indifferent, lots not liking it.

I'm in the 'it's alright' camp. That's because it's thinner stripes, blue is the dominant colour and it has blue shorts and socks. They're the main things that I'm after in a Brighton kit.

I've noticed a lot of the criticism of this kit is based on the stripes not being centred, the cut of the shoulders/collar bunching and it being a bland effort. These are minor issues for me, things that stop it being a good kit rather than an o.k one. This might be because I have no intention of buying the kit so I'm just interested in what it looks like from the stands, hence my preference for blue being dominant over white and normal sized stripes.

So what I'm wondering is what does NSC want form a Brighton kit?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I've noticed a lot of the criticism of this kit is based on the stripes not being centred, the cut of the shoulders/collar bunching and it being a bland effort.
Yeah, find these kind of criticisms a bit weird and OTT about a football shirt.
For me, I just like a shirt that his predominantly striped, in a decent blue.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
It looks like 3 shirts sown together. I think it's nice to move away from tradition and try something new. Blue and white stripes never seem to look good.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
A proper cut and stitch together would be good for 60 quid, the bunching is poor workmanship, it’s horrendous. I would just want: good cut and stitch, so it doesn’t look wrong on either an elite sportsman or a porky fan, narrow stripes, not trying to be clever with seam positioning, do away with unnecessary dark patches to end the sleeves, a sensible sized back number panel, not the huge thing we have here, why not do a full back stripe for fans, oh I know why because it looks ridiculous with a huge vacant white panel so you simply have to have name and number taking it up to £78, oh and both sleeve patches taking it up to £88, oh and delivery taking it up to £94, I mean FFS, the new thing is an absolute 100% ballsup piece of crap for £94.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One way of judging a football shirt, is imagining how it would look on a fat bloke, rather than an elite athlete.
It scores badly on this score. the neckline as much as anything.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
A shirt that at least makes you feel like you are getting value for money, not a couple of pieces of recycled plastic cobbled together on a 4000 year old sewing machine.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think my issue is primarily with Nike. They seem intent on having a separate shoulder panel on all their kits.

Take a look at the Liverpool kit, it's on there too but the difference is because they're all red it doesn't look out of place. On a striped shirt it just looks shit.

I'd quite like a Macron kit. This is their Stoke offering:

Screenshot_20230717-181530.png

Stripes all the way up. The white stripe in the middle becoming the white collar is a small piece of detail but adds a bit of style.

It's so simple to do and have it look good.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm grateful that the new kit isn't like the Nike Wimbledon kits. They were a dreadful mish mash of clothes made so badly, they wouldn't get through a round of The Great British Sewing Bee. All odd layers and cuts on dresses and shirts like they were made from off-cuts with shorts that looked like they had pocket linings hanging out the back. The green and black away shirt is lovely and pretty much loved by all. How could Nike produce such a poor effort for the home shirt and Albion accept it? In answer to the question, I just want a shirt with max impact and eye appeal that is designed and cut to look like it is made by a company that makes sportswear professionally.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The primary onjective is identity, and most, if not all can and will identify with blue and white stripes.

I personally prefer a classic unfussy design. Simple stripes, contrasting crew neck band, or a polo type collay, even a V neck or panel With collar.

This may clash slightly with what a 'professional elite athlete' may have been told makes him run fastest. At the end of the day they'll wear anything they're paid to.

once they run out and play I can see past it . . . nothing beats the mid late 70's kits, my formative years.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not the target audience as I'd very rarely buy a replica shirt but my vote would always go for something understated and simple regardless of who the manufacturer is.

I imagine It's a incredibly difficult process for the club. They probably come up with lots of designs that are then rejected by AMEX for not showing their logo as they'd like, we also don't have the volume of sales to warrant anything too bespoke.

I probably like about 1 in 5 of the kits we release but never buy them, this year's kit would be the first I'd buy in a while due to our European adventure

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
The American Express blue logo makes all our home kits look a bit poor. I would like to see white text on the blue that matches the shirt. The 83 replica a few years back was the best home shirt we’ve had with the American Express logo. Sensible width of stripes, little bit of black or white detailing, no yellow, proper collars. NSC would easily produce a better kit than Nike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here