Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you cook in your microwave?

Aug 23, 2011
Cos I can put them in the microwave, drrrr.

Good old NSC, I figured this was a proper noddy slice thread, that I'd get roundly abused for.
It turns out, I'm not mentals for not using it, and we've all been conned into having one!!

I find them pretty good for warming kids food up and if you need to cook potato quickly you can blast it and then scrap out the flesh from the skin and make mash.

Aug 23, 2011
Is this really possible?

I cannot poach eggs and if this really works I will buy a microwave.

Yes you can although not as good as properly poached. There are several methods if you google it but what I do is crack the egg into a mug of water and place another glass of water in the microwave too and then go.
I have also thrown the egg into an empty mug and that kind of works but is easy to overcook

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes you can although not as good as properly poached. There are several methods if you google it but what I do is crack the egg into a mug of water and place another glass of water in the microwave too and then go.
I have also thrown the egg into an empty mug and that kind of works but is easy to overcook

Why bother ?

I've got a frying pan with a lid. I oil lightly some ramekins and break the eggs in. Water in the pan, ramekins in and lid on.

Poached / Steamed but it works and very quick.

The cling film in a cup method works well too.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Superb for porridge
200ml best Infinity oats
400 ml water
Pinch salt
Microwave on full power for 4 mins
Stir and then microwave on 60% power for 2 mins 40 secs
Stand for 1 minute, stir and serve
Perfect porridge for two - just off to make it now!

Sadly I've been meaning to pose this to the great and good of NSC for a while, but I'm always in the kitchen when I think to ask.

I use the microwave to warm plates, and maybe heat up sweetcorn.

There must be more to a feckin great big metal box, than warming plates?

Tried and tested, on a par with or better than conventional cooker, microwave recipes please.

The introduction of the micro wave coincided with a sharp rise in cases of food poisoning in the early 80's be careful kids???

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sadly I've been meaning to pose this to the great and good of NSC for a while, but I'm always in the kitchen when I think to ask.

I use the microwave to warm plates, and maybe heat up sweetcorn.

There must be more to a feckin great big metal box, than warming plates?

Tried and tested, on a par with or better than conventional cooker, microwave recipes please.

Nothing, other than occasional defrosting. Waste of space really.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
You can run water over a stale loaf of bread and then microwave to rejuvenate it and also sterilise your dishcloths etc.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
There are two things which, shop-bought, can be quickly cooked in the microwave, much quicker than conventional methods - and taste just as good. These are (*drumroll*) ...

Christmas pud

and

haggis.

You have not been charged for this information.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Porridge
Heated weetabix
Giving a cup of coffee i forgot about a quick BLAST.
Warming FAJITA wraps
Scrambled eggs if no pan is washed up
Defrosting meat
Warming beans
re-warming last nights left over naan bread to give it a new lease of life.

3 minute chocolate sponge for when you get in.
Whilst preparing the sponge, put in left over kebab to reheat.

I'm amazed people FAFF so much over POACHED eggs. Put the kettle on to make a cup of tea and walk away.
When kettle is boiled, pour water into cup. Pour remaining water in to pan, stir water once and pop egg in.

In the time it's taken to pour the milk into your tea and remove the tea bag, the poached egg/eggs are done. No need for all this microwave milarky. You massivly risk EXPLODING eggs.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Scrambled eggs in the microwave?! Yeeeurgh. If I was at a b&b and someone served me microwaved scrambled eggs they would be told to learn how to cook properly. Ghastly. Soup, by the way.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Beans, Peas, Innocent Veg Pots.

Thats about it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Scrambled eggs in the microwave?! Yeeeurgh. If I was at a b&b and someone served me microwaved scrambled eggs they would be told to learn how to cook properly.

Surely the lesson wouldn't take too long?

Nibble: Hello Class
B&B owner: Hi Nibble
Nibble: Call me Sir.
B&B owner: Sorry Sir.
Nibble: Ok. Lesson 1. Use the hob instead of a microwave. Class dismissed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here