Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you cook in your microwave?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Peanut butter on bread (not toast), stuck in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Runny, sticky, peanutty heaven.

Also, I use mine mainly for reheating dinners that I have made in bulk. And it's useful for defrosting frozen stuff.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I always use the microwave for scrambled eggs. Only 1 thing to wash instead of 2. Never tried on the hob. Is it such a big difference then?

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I've only ever scrambled eggs in the microwave, not sure how to do it on the hob.

Me too. Can you cooking geeks explain please! I use two eggs, small bit of butter, small splash of milk and some black pepper. Whisk in jug and heat for two mins. How it done on the hob?

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Me too. Can you cooking geeks explain please! I use two eggs, small bit of butter, small splash of milk and some black pepper. Whisk in jug and heat for two mins. How it done on the hob?

They are a million times better when cooked on the hob!

I just use 2 eggs, butter, salt and pepper. No milk.

I melt the butter in the pan, then add the eggs, stir with a wooden spoon and let them cook slowly, stirring every so often until they are done and then season.

Easy and delicious.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Gammon

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Surely the lesson wouldn't take too long?

Nibble: Hello Class
B&B owner: Hi Nibble
Nibble: Call me Sir.
B&B owner: Sorry Sir.
Nibble: Ok. Lesson 1. Use the hob instead of a microwave. Class dismissed.

Ha! Indeed. I think it would be the plate that hit her head the hardest.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Don't take no geek to scramble an egg. Stir the eggs, don't whisk, you're not making a merangue. Then everything the same except pour into a pan, keep on a low heat and stir constantly. When the eggs are still a bit runny remove from heat and serve. You will notice no horrible watery egg juice, which is what happens when scrambled eggs are overcooked. Honestly you may not think there is a dif but try it once and you will see.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011

this but only do 1 minute and then stir, then do another minute (depending on the microwave wattage). You should have very tasty and slightly runny scrambled egg, perfect. I doubt anyone will tell the difference between this and pan cooked...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
this but only do 1 minute and then stir, then do another minute (depending on the microwave wattage). You should have very tasty and slightly runny scrambled egg, perfect. I doubt anyone will tell the difference between this and pan cooked...[/QUOTE

It would be interesting to test it. I think I could tell but if I couldn't I'd be gobsmacked and humble.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Don't take no geek to scramble an egg. Stir the eggs, don't whisk, you're not making a merangue. Then everything the same except pour into a pan, keep on a low heat and stir constantly. When the eggs are still a bit runny remove from heat and serve. You will notice no horrible watery egg juice, which is what happens when scrambled eggs are overcooked. Honestly you may not think there is a dif but try it once and you will see.

I will give it a try but neither me or the mrs like the scrambled egg to be runny. Always feels like raw eggs!!!! Some of the scrambled egg you get at hotel breakfast buffets are frankly disgusting. That's why I always deliberately overheat mine in a jug in the microwave after stirring half way. Will give your method a chance though.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I will give it a try but neither me or the mrs like the scrambled egg to be runny. Always feels like raw eggs!!!! Some of the scrambled egg you get at hotel breakfast buffets are frankly disgusting. That's why I always deliberately overheat mine in a jug in the microwave after stirring half way. Will give your method a chance though.

It takes practice but you need to pull it off the heat at the exact right moment, just as it has the cinsistency of porridge, it will continue to cook on the plate and not be runny when you come to eat it. Enjoy!

Aug 23, 2011
You can run water over a stale loaf of bread and then microwave to rejuvenate it and also sterilise your dishcloths etc.

that reminds me, IF you have day old doughnuts that have gone hard a quick blast in the microwave (around 10 secs usually) will soften them up again but watch out for super-heated jam when you bite into them. It doesn't work as well with iced doughnuts as the icing melts and you get a kind of sauce but still edible

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tip for you microwave fans. To clean your oven easily and very, very effectively while being kind to the environment use the kettle to boil a bowl of water, place half a lemon into bowl. Place bowl into MW and heat on full for 90 secs. Remove bowl and lemon and wipe the inside of the MW out with a cloth or tissue. And muck comes of really, really easily.It will be totally sparkling and fresh smelling. Leave for ten mins before cooking in it unless you want your beans to taste of lemon.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Don't have one myself, but when I'm cooking somewhere that has one, I'll always use it for rice, as a couple of others have mentioned. I use 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water (same as I would on the hob), cover with cling film, pierce the film and cook on medium until the water has been soaked up. You can't really overcook it, and unlike rice cooked this way on the hob, it won't stick to the dish and leave you with the pleasures of an extended washing-up fest.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I defrost the dogs green tripe blocks in the microwave most days, and sometimes warm up pots of Sainsbury's Clotted Cream Rice Pudding, but that's about it. The missus probably cooks things in there???????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here