Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you consider to be the best ever Pop song and Album

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I go Martha Reeves and the Vandellas Dancing in the Street (or Petula Clark's Downtown if the former is not deemed a pop song?) for the single, and Springsteen's Tunnel of Love for best album :)

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
Single - 4 Tops - Baby I need your Loving
Album - Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On [ glad to see others agree ]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Thread title IS a bit misleading as I was thinking of best POP song but basically best album of any genre. I'd also argue that Like a Rolling Stone is a POP song, it spent weeks, months even in the pop charts in the USA and here. There are plenty of fantastic singles of the 60's and early 70's that couldn't be included if you are thinking of Pop as something trite, happy and catchy.

Looking at your choices, I was very close to nominating Rave On as the best pop single and also considered Mr Blue Sky.

I just think Heartbeat is a great track, regardless of category.

Difficult to choose for an album of any genre. Personal choices would include:
Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
Wheels of Fire - Cream
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd.
The Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore east - Duane Allman (aka Skydog) is my avatar, just in case he's not known.
Paul Simon - Graceland
Let it Bleed - The Rolling Stones

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
By definition pop music is just popular music so stop getting your knickers in a twist because someone dared call Pink Floyd "popular"

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I just think Heartbeat is a great track, regardless of category.

Difficult to choose for an album of any genre. Personal choices would include:
Sgt Pepper - The Beatles
Wheels of Fire - Cream
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd.
The Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore east - Duane Allman (aka Skydog) is my avatar, just in case he's not known.
Paul Simon - Graceland
Let it Bleed - The Rolling Stones

I go off topic from the thread title but we have a similar taste in music it seems, I like all your selections above. Another fabulous Fillmore East live recording was Neil Young and Crazy Horse from 1970, still sounds amazing.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
By definition pop music is just popular music so stop getting your knickers in a twist because someone dared call Pink Floyd "popular"

Oh come on. Pop music. 3 minute classics, late key changes and choruses you can't get out of your head. I'm not disputing their popularity - just that they don't do pop songs. Wel...Another Brick In the Wall pt2 excepted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh come on. Pop music. 3 minute classics, late key changes and choruses you can't get out of your head. I'm not disputing their popularity - just that they don't do pop songs. Wel...Another Brick In the Wall pt2 excepted.

Money? Not sure if that was a single but it's certainly pop music

Arnold Layne and See Emily play also completely disprove your argument :wink:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

They're not "pop" by the modern definition but they still fall in to the category of popular music. My point is that half the bands people have written aren't "pop" bands and fall in to various other genres.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here