Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What do we still need in this transfer window?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
There's a Spanish lad at Chelsea who might be available. Massive hair
:)
I did see on another thread that Cucurellabooo has had all that frizz shorn off Samson style. He's probably hoping the Chelsea fans will think he's someone different. I'm half expecting him to be wearing something like this when the season starts;
1689749555287.png

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think City used 23 players last season when they won the PL and CL
Every single player in the city first team had a player of the very highest calibre to replace him. Thus allowed Pep to rotate his squad with no drop on standard at all. My guess is that their second XI could probably take a European place.

Teams like Brighton on the other hand have no choice but to keep playing key players to the point of exhaustion or injury (Miroma, Dunk, Estupinan, Solly etc). And when the squad gets the inevitable injuries because of this, we're reduced to playing teenagers.

Not quite the same is it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Every single player in the city first team had a player of the very highest calibre to replace him. Thus allowed Pep to rotate his squad with no drop on standard at all. My guess is that their second XI could probably take a European place.

Teams like Brighton on the other hand have no choice but to keep playing key players to the point of exhaustion or injury (Miroma, Dunk, Estupinan, Solly etc). And when the squad gets the inevitable injuries because of this, we're reduced to playing teenagers.

Not quite the same is it.
So how many players do you suggest we should have?
Pretty much every team got a similar squad size whether they play in Europe or not. Difference might be two or three players.
What EL means to us right now is an additional five games (six games in Europe, but one less in the League Cup). Players like Sarmiento, Van Hecke, Gilmour and Ayari struggled to get game time as it was last season - and now people want a squad with more than 23-24 players?
I also don't but the whole "reduced into playing teenagers" because ultimately Tony has spent an awful lot of money on producing fantastic teenage footballers and we're going to want to use them.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So how many players do you suggest we should have?
Pretty much every team got a similar squad size whether they play in Europe or not. Difference might be two or three players.
What EL means to us right now is an additional five games (six games in Europe, but one less in the League Cup). Players like Sarmiento, Van Hecke, Gilmour and Ayari struggled to get game time as it was last season - and now people want a squad with more than 23-24 players?
I also don't but the whole "reduced into playing teenagers" because ultimately Tony has spent an awful lot of money on producing fantastic teenage footballers and we're going to want to use them.
I'm not saying we need lots - I am saying we need better players to cover all positions if we're going to compete this season. The club will decide and knows better than me, but I'd hope we're getting more defensive cover right across the back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Naylor Says today that the priority is :

- A left sided centre back ( x2 not ideal but not ruled out ).
- A winger.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
If Caicedo stays just a left footed CB is the only position absolutely needed I think.

At full back Milner, Gross and perhaps Karbo if RDZ likes him will offer good competition with Pervis, Lamptey and Veltman. Caicedo and Alzate also played there in the past.

All other positions I think look well covered.

I would like a new wunderkid or two to go along with Mazilu though.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
If Caicedo stays just a left footed CB is the only position absolutely needed I think.

At full back Milner, Gross and perhaps Karbo if RDZ likes him will offer good competition with Pervis, Lamptey and Veltman. Caicedo and Alzate also played there in the past.

You already have the answer on Karbo - he hasn't gone on the tour.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

With regards to Karbo, I think Naylor has said that the club want to sell or loan as he’s not gone on the USA trip.

Ditto for Offiah although a loan seems far more likely.

Looks as if Samuels is the most likely to join the squad if we don’t get a new fullback.

IMG_2942.jpeg

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
I don't understand why another rotation/backup winger is needed (Naylor article mentioned Palmer), Adingra Mitoma March Sarmiento Buonanotte isnt enough? I understand it if someone like Kudus would join as he might improve the first 11 but Palmer certainly won't

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't understand why another rotation/backup winger is needed (Naylor article mentioned Palmer), Adingra Mitoma March Sarmiento Buonanotte isnt enough? I understand it if someone like Kudus would join as he might improve the first 11 but Palmer certainly won't
Naylor also mentions Sarmiento might go out on loan to get games.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Ridle Baku would be my choice. Wolfsburg, 25, right sided FB, WB, W. Could be our right sided Pervis. Recently broken into the German team. Ticks a lot of boxes for versatility, experience etc.
If the club was run by me, hadn't been bankrupted and we do sell Caicedo for 100, I'd spend that all on three first team ready players adding the LCB Theat and Kudus. That would add real versality and energy.
Total fantasy but:
Bart
Baku Dunk Theat Pervis
Gross/Dahoud Kudus
March Ferg João Pedro Mitoma

Steele, Veltman, Webster, Lallana, Milner, Gilmour, Enciso, Welbeck, Dahoud/Gross

Is top four under RDZ.

That would be moving into Dortmund territory but it will happen eventually if we progress as we could. As an aside, Dortmund have replaced Bellingham with one of Baku's teammates - Nmecha JR, an outstanding young midfielder.

Last edited:

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I did miss that, seems a bit weird to loan in Palmer and send Sarmiento out but maybe that's just me!
I agree with you, I don’t know why you’d get in Palmer to loan out Sarmiento. He obviously needs some time and development but his games last season he looked good enough for the first team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here