Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What do we still need in this transfer window?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The biggest issue De Zerbi has is keeping ‘hungry’ players involved.
Indeed.

We've got some young players who are 2nd and 3rd choice in that graphic above who might feel they could play in other Premier League first XIs. How do you keep players like Sarmiento, Lamptey, Undav and Alzate happy if they're only playing 8 or 9 games a season?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well if there is any point in signing players that are primarly full-backs, they need to be better than the other squad players that "could" play there. Essentially we need to find some LB who is better in that role than Solly (and others) but who would still be fine to sit and watch Pervis play 90% of the games. RB is a bit different as it is somewhat realistic to find a player who would start ahead of Veltman, but certainly won't be easy.
You’ll find very few bigger supporters of Solly March than myself, but seriously - finding and signing a left back, more solid in that position, wouldn’t be at all difficult.

Even if Pervis plays every single PL game, and never suffers a single injury or suspension - we’ll likely have at least 15 cup games to cover.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
You’ll find very few bigger supporters of Solly March than myself, but seriously - finding and signing a left back, more solid in that position, wouldn’t be at all difficult.

Even if Pervis plays every single PL game, and never suffers a single injury or suspension - we’ll likely have at least 15 cup games to cover.
Finding someone more solid than Solly in the LB role = doable
Finding someone willing to back up Pervis in the LB role = doable
The combination = difficult
Solly is a good left back so we'd need a very good one who would also have to settle for limited game time. Not happening imho which is why Igor Julio (primarly LCB) will probably be the final signing on the left side of defense. We already have three players with a lot of Premier League experience playing LB, plus Igor now coming in. I just don't see it being a role where we'll spend more money. Nor do I see the real need.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree totally with HKFC, looking at our squad and assuming Igor Julio signs now, left back and right back are clearly the positions we need to sign. I will be a bit disappointed if we don’t sign both as it could really leave us short at some point.

If we are able to get Colwill that would be a huge bonus and I’m not sure I see the need for a RW as I think we’ve got enough midfielders and attackers who won’t be getting enough minutes as it is but again, Palmer would be a bonus.

Even if Caicedo goes, I think it’s still more important to sign a RB and LB than a replacement as I think we’ve got some real talent in midfield already. RB and LB though, we really are desperately short. I don’t want to see Gross, Milner or March there when it really shouldn’t be necessary.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Agree totally with HKFC, looking at our squad and assuming Igor Julio signs now, left back and right back are clearly the positions we need to sign. I will be a bit disappointed if we don’t sign both as it could really leave us short at some point.

If we are able to get Colwill that would be a huge bonus and I’m not sure I see the need for a RW as I think we’ve got enough midfielders and attackers who won’t be getting enough minutes as it is but again, Palmer would be a bonus.

Even if Caicedo goes, I think it’s still more important to sign a RB and LB than a replacement as I think we’ve got some real talent in midfield already. RB and LB though, we really are desperately short. I don’t want to see Gross, Milner or March there when it really shouldn’t be necessary.
I would be shocked if Milner get more time in midfield than at full back.

As it stands now, we have three players (Pervis, Milner, Solly) in the squad with 30+ games as left back and two right backs (Veltman, Lamptey) with 30+ PL games (and Gross must be close to 20) in the role.

People want more but I'm not sure Tony Bloom agrees.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Walker-Peters would be a good addition, capable of playing at full back on either side and a good age at 26.
I like the fact that the club are backing Lamptey and want him to stay but his injury issues make a decent run in the side difficult.

There are probably two full backs at both Southampton and Leicester that would be worth our attention but I’ve just got a feeling RDZ wants a left footer.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I personally would be all over Ian Maatsen on loan from Chelsea. It solves the left back issue for another season and gives depth for Europe/cups/injury to Pervis. I know it’s another loan but it’s not like loaning a starter who will likely become another Colwill situation. It would just take the pressure off for another year.

Right back however, I think we need a permanent signing to start. I don’t have any suggestions however.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I personally would be all over Ian Maatsen on loan from Chelsea. It solves the left back issue for another season and gives depth for Europe/cups/injury to Pervis. I know it’s another loan but it’s not like loaning a starter who will likely become another Colwill situation. It would just take the pressure off for another year.

Right back however, I think we need a permanent signing to start. I don’t have any suggestions however.
Cannot see Chelsea agreeing to that as he won’t get many games. No more loans anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here