Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Flashman at the Charge- GMF

Can't beat a bit of Flashy what what..

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Carter Beats the Devil... fabulous

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Saturday Night Sunday Morning - Alan Sillitoe.

Just back from hols and read Atonement and The Kite Runner plus The Secret Agent (Conrad). Not much to report really - The Kite Runner is a great - making you feel it is an autobiography rather then a novel.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Playing for Pizza - John Grisham - reading it because it's the only John Grisham book I haven't read before

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
currently reading Danny Wallace - Friends like these

very good and very funny so far - basically about to turn 30 and finding an old filofax with all his mates names and addresses in and going round to meet them

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Recently started Memoirs of a Geisha...wanted to read another book about Japan after enjoying one earlier this year by Haruki Murukami

Really can't go wrong with Murakami. Unless you read The Wind-up Bird Chronicles which I found soul-destroyingly self-pitying. Other than that, he's spot on.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Peter James - Not Dead Enough.

This guys "Roy Grace" books are excellent and to top it off are all set in Brighton!!

Read all 3 of his "Roy Grace" series, must get Dead Mans Footsteps which has just come out.

Just started The Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks.

Also just purchased Matter which is the latest Ian M Banks (Same bloke but his Science Fiction series!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read all 3 of his "Roy Grace" series, must get Dead Mans Footsteps which has just come out.

Personally, as I said on page 7 I wouldn't bother.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ernest Hemingway collection. It's bloody good.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am reading a book by a chap called Jim Roirdan, titled "Comrade Jim (The spy who played for Spartak)". Fella was a amateur footballer with leftish leanings, conscripted during the height of the cold war, and taught Russian by the British intelligence services, then sent to Berlin to eavesdrop on Russian Mig fighters. On demob he joined the British Communist Party and was sent to the Lenin School for foreigners in Moscow to be prepared for the worldwide revolution.

Somehow he ended up playing for Spartak under a false name in front of 100,000 people....but I haven't got to that bit yet :thumbsup:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Have you seen he sponsors a Sussex Police car (possibly a couple)?

I don't like to name drop Elton John told me not to), but he is a friend of the family. ;)

Currently reading the new bond book by Seb Faulks. Not bad so far...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Really can't go wrong with Murakami. Unless you read The Wind-up Bird Chronicles which I found soul-destroyingly self-pitying. Other than that, he's spot on.

Agree totally, I read Norwegian Wood and found it to be excellent...will definitely read more of his books, it certainly whetted my appetite to read more about Japan.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain

This book I will definitely read, don't know nearly enough about British history, gave the subject up at school at around 1300...and I don't mean lunchtime before anyone comes over all smart alec.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I am reading a book by a chap called Jim Roirdan, titled "Comrade Jim (The spy who played for Spartak)". Fella was a amateur footballer with leftish leanings, conscripted during the height of the cold war, and taught Russian by the British intelligence services, then sent to Berlin to eavesdrop on Russian Mig fighters. On demob he joined the British Communist Party and was sent to the Lenin School for foreigners in Moscow to be prepared for the worldwide revolution.

Somehow he ended up playing for Spartak under a false name in front of 100,000 people....but I haven't got to that bit yet :thumbsup:

Apparently he was rumbled when some of the fans realised that he looked nothing like Pele!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here