Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What Book are you Currently Reading?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Currently reading The 12th Card by Jeffrey Deaver, really enjoy his books. Whoever it was put Vulcan 607 earlier in the thread, cracking read, really liked that one.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Steven Gerrard Autobiography. Fantastic read, espically the shocking part when he was youngster. He was playing on a field near his house with his mate. The ball accidentally went into the nettles, and Gerrard tried to kick the ball out of there then all off a sudden, he kicked again a second time and got his foot enbedded in a rusty garden folk. He could of lost his foot!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"A Lion's Tale - Around The World In Spandex" by Chris 'Jericho' Irvine.

Entombed....L.Farstein.It is not very good,but I've got so far that I might as well finish it.

I quite like the Alphabet series by Grafton.Dead easy reading(can I say dead about murder stories?).

When's that Brighton blokes next murder mystery due?

If are referring to Peter James "Inspector Grace" series I think the next one is due in the summer. Have read the first 2 in the series so far - look forward to it being televised to see who they get to play the lovely Cleo Morey and Norman Potting (crimefighter extraordinary).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The monopoly of violence - why europeans hate going to war.

Brilliant book, recently published, for anyone else interested in military history mixed with current politics.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
A third of the way through The Dice Man, by Luke Rhinehart. Picked up in Oxfam as it was billed on the back as "shocking and subversive."

Only when I started reading did I realise it was published in 1971. It's about as shocking and subversive as Children's BBC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me again. "Dead Man's Footsteps" is due to be published June 12 according to the official website.

I had this brought for me, as I'd decided not to buy the next one, myself. But didn't tell Wifey.
Anyway my fears have been realised, as I'm about a third through and once again over half the book, so far, has been spent setting the scene by describing the characters, all over again.
It's like reading a 'cut and paste' book.

I always liked PJ and his books are each stand alone good reads but they aren't written for those who have read the series.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Old Goriot - Balzac (in English though).

Seeing the Music Man in Chichester last week reminded me that I'd never read Balzac, so it's time to start.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Recently started Memoirs of a Geisha...wanted to read another book about Japan after enjoying one earlier this year by Haruki Murukami, picked it up on a bookstall for 50p, seemed like a bargain at the time and so far is proving to be.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Did you see him at the Dome during the Festival? He was in conversation with Andrew Marr and was wise and witty and a class act.

Yes I did. i didn't have quite such a high opinion of him but am glad I went. I couldn't quite get passed his denial that McCain's torture and imprisonment in Vietnam had ever occurred nor the sycophantic laughter that greeted his suggestion that it had all been made up. I thought Marr was derelicting his duty for not pulling him up on it. I might not like the man but.......

Other than that he was as witty and erudite as one would expect.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here