What are you doing Oscar

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
:ffsparr:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Oscar will learn the hard way with english football for possibly a few games, however he is not stupid and I am sure will cotton on very quickly and I for one will give him time.

Me too, this is an absurd thread - we've started just as well as we did last year (joke!) and people should not underestimate the amount of time it's going to take to recover from the summers events. Oscar will come good, he needs time and our support. He cannot be held accountable for not being Poyet (another joke!) and perhaps if people really want to find a scapegoat they should look to the top of the club - oh, hang on, we can't do that because he's our saviour - lets blame Barber and Oscar then!! Rubbish.

South Stand Rebel

Sep 6, 2012
You people need to take a chill pill. This year will be a transitional year. Oscar is doing what all good managers do, he is giving all the players a chance to show what they can do in a real match situation - friendlies aren't very good for this. IMHO Oscar still needs time to assess the qualities of each player in order to work out who can do what and where, and also which players work well together. I think he is also finding out the weaknesses of the squad (of which there are quite a few).

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
A matter of opinions...thought we were nervous in the first 5 minutes....five throw against us in two minutes....we got the ball in their net 3 times...two given offside.
Where we did fall down on attack...and where Villarreal tore us apart...when we bought the ball in from wing positions we had nobody in the centre by the penalty spot to recieve the cutback,yes we had men on both sides of the area...but the ball often ended up near the penalty spot only for a defender to clear.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The only downside to the last few days is losing two full backs through injury and suspension, the manager not having the time to get the team up to speed, and a few players that are playing catch up with fitness. Not the best of starts, but if we can can get through these first few games, i think things will improve.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You people need to take a chill pill. This year will be a transitional year. Oscar is doing what all good managers do, he is giving all the players a chance to show what they can do in a real match situation - friendlies aren't very good for this. IMHO Oscar still needs time to assess the qualities of each player in order to work out who can do what and where, and also which players work well together. I think he is also finding out the weaknesses of the squad (of which there are quite a few).

Yep, he is playing catch up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Really! So he asks to leave in March, then won't come to an amicable agreement to leave because he wants his compo. Then he delays the first hearing so we can't get on with the new season, then he appeals and now he's talking about taking us to court.

well that's exactly why, if you want to sack a manager, you pay his compo and don't play silly games.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
If people are actually panicking now they REALLY need to take a look at themselves. As some have said, judge after 10-15 games once the transfer window is closed etc.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
well that's exactly why, if you want to sack a manager, you pay his compo and don't play silly games.

I would resent paying a man who asked to leave when the going got tough a penny of compensation, then quickly changed his tune when it became apparent the playoffs were possible again.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

If that course of action had been followed, I'm guessing the compensation would have been sizeable (Poyet had 3 years left on his contract). I know figures of 2 to 2.5million have been suggested on here, and I have no way of knowing if that is accurate. But if we take a figure of 2million; given that we know (from Barber) that the playing budget this season is "in line" with last season; and given that we all know how committed the club is to meeting the requirements of FFP; I think we can safely assume that money would have reduced the playing budget by a similar amount.

Now, from a google search, a guesstimate of the average Championship player salary is 250k. So that sum of money could very well equate to at least 3 or 4 squad players; perhaps 1 or 2 marquee signings (especially if a transfer fee is involved).

I am not suggesting that the Board engaged in this thought process, nor that the prime motivation for how Poyet was dealt with was a financial one; but there would certainly have been player budget implications of sacking (and compensating) a manager who, apparently, had decided he no longer wanted to be employed.

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
You have played 2 lost 2

Your first competitive game at the Amex & you play a make shift side.I thought pre season was the time to experiment with your team.
Why not play our strongest side rather than making 7 changes to a team that played at Leeds.

You my friend haven't a ****ing clue.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Are we going to spend the whole season comparing Oscar to Gus? Boring

I hope not. It depends if tits like One Love continue to roll out the dross about Gus 'leaving us in a mess'. Gus did not leave us in a mess, he left us with a decent squad that, by according to all the Gus haters like him, should have got us promoted.

And considering he didn't instigate the lengthy disciplinary process, how can us being apparently ill-prepared for the new season be his fault? (And I am not saying we shouldn't have gone the way we did with DP, just that you can't blame Gus for a process he didn't have any control over)

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Really! So he asks to leave in March, then won't come to an amicable agreement to leave because he wants his compo. Then he delays the first hearing so we can't get on with the new season, then he appeals and now he's talking about taking us to court.

And you wouldn't do the same if you had that written into an employment contract? And the delay was 3 days, hardly a show-stopper. Besides, none of that explains how it is him 'leaving us in a mess'. Was the Chief Exec lying when he wrote to us all saying 'don't panic'?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Absolutely, 100% THIS. A good majority tipped us on here to finish in the top six this season, deluded doesn't even cover it! Coupled with a few other things that I touched on in another thread we just cannot expect Oscar to deliver what Gus did last season, we haven't even had a full pre-season ffs with the new manager. We really need to check our expectations on here this season otherwise NSC with quite literally EXPLODE.

So, you include Tony Bloom as a delusional person? He is confident of a top 6 finish!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here