What are the chances of an Albion v Palace playoff final?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I really wouldn't fancy playing Palace in the play offs, I think we all know what would happen. And I don't think I could take that.

Has anyone considered the possibility that Palace go on another run and make 2nd place, and we go up in the play offs?

Imagine two relegation 6 pointers in the Premier League with them. I'd love us to be in same division in the top flight, it would be fantastic.

Would be great for both clubs, Relegation 6 points are always mad games. Think Watford with their better away form are more likely to snatch second spot though.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I do know what he means, I have the same feeling about going to Selhurst. I'm genuinely considering not going next time we play there, but then when it actually comes around it's difficult to stay away. We need to f***ing beat them at the Amex this time, then the prospect of playing them in the play offs won't feel so horrific.

Agreed a playoff final would be horrendous but it's what football is all about, to reverse the question could you imagine not going and we thrash them could you live with it?

Despite a lot of willy waving on this thread there is a chance this could happen, in my eyes Palace are safe in a playoff place they wont make top 2 but should finish in 3rd or 4th and begrudingly credit to them for that. If we do make it and there is a good possibility it will be 6th maybe 5th which means as much chance of meeting them over 2 legs before the final. Football is a funny game which has a knack of throwing up coincidences and this is very much a possibility.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I genuinely cannot think of a more pressurised, painful game of football for either set of fans. I would really rather it did not happen. Decades of taunting, serious overspill of passion into violence, a tunnel of hate for the journey either way. All of the above could apply to either set of fans, best not then eh?

I genuinely cannot think of a more pressurised, painful game of football for either set of fans. I would really rather it did not happen. Decades of taunting, serious overspill of passion into violence, a tunnel of hate for the journey either way. All of the above could apply to either set of fans, best not then eh?

Play it at a neutral venue, somewhere between both clubs.

Broadfield Stadium it is.:D

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

It would make the whole 'police not being able to cope with more than two thousand away fans' thing look a bit ridiculous, wouldn't it? Try coping with 40,000 of the fuckers on each side! Would they erect steel walls on Wembley way to keep the two sets of fans apart?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Am I right in thinking 3rd play 6th in the semi's? If so, I think that is a more likely scenario than meeting Palace in the final.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Been thinking about this for the past couple of days (i.e. since Cardiff)

It's great at the moment with Palace because there are valid reasons for feeling superior on both sides.They were the first team to dick usat home competitively, we finished above them in the league. They've got FFS on fire, we've got a stadium and infrastructure that they'd kill for etc...

IF they were to finish above us in the playoffs and we were to beat them in the final, then I still feel both teams could and would claim bragging rights - though our claim would be better, they could legitimately say 'the league doesn't lie, and we were better than you'. All completely hypothetical of course, but I love that there is a sense of near evenness about the whole thing at the moment.

I would absolutely LOVE to get them at Wembley. LOVE it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's disappointing that Playoff final tickets seem to be equally distributed.

I'm not sure why a team with a small supporter base such as Palace should get the same number of tickets as a club that is well supported like the Albion.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I'm not sure why a team with a small supporter base such as Palace should get the same number of tickets as a club that is well supported like the Albion.

Should be a 65/35 split to enable Albion fans to get to the game

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012

Brace yourselves!!

This post has guaranteed another couple of pages at least!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seriously, if Cup Final tickets are split in line with the home attendances of the competing clubs, why do small clubs in playoff finals get the same number of tickets as the bigger teams? It doesn't make sense.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Seriously, if Cup Final tickets are split in line with the home attendances of the competing clubs, why do small clubs in playoff finals get the same number of tickets as the bigger teams? It doesn't make sense.

Exactly

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Because one is decided by the FA, and the other by the Football League? :shrug:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Same as '91. Reckon we had three times the amount of Notts County fans at Wembley that day. Could we have sold more?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It would make the whole 'police not being able to cope with more than two thousand away fans' thing look a bit ridiculous, wouldn't it? Try coping with 40,000 of the fuckers on each side! Would they erect steel walls on Wembley way to keep the two sets of fans apart?

I'd like to think that with 40,000 on each side there would be a much higher percentage behaving like normal adults compared to the primary school playground warriors for whom abusing the opposition fans seems to be much more important and enjoyable than watching the football.

I want to beat Palace more than any other team but I just don't get the obsessive, excessive hostility, abuse and, from a minority on both sides, violence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports