Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What Amex Improvements Would YOU Like To See Over The Summer?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Pedestrians using P + R have paid for this via their ticket, no? Am I bring whooshed?
OK, I guess the fella is making a point along the lines of, "there used to be club run buses picking up from various points, but the club stopped doing it, presumably because they didn't see it as their job to run a transport organisation. If the P&R is essentially still just a general bus service to the ground, how is this different to the thing we got rid of"

I can sort of see it, but then I thought they should have never stopped running the buses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh joy :rolleyes:
No thanks, I have people in my row that are late for kick off, out to the concourse before HT, late back after HT and leaving before FT.
I could do without people doing this for the entire game when I’m trying to watch the match, especially now we are seeing some very decent football.

As mentioned we would have some that will be chucking beer around.
Any of the pre-season friendlies I've been to at the Amex where drinking in your seat was allowed, the stands were completely AWASH with spilt beer :lol:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
If if
OK, I guess the fella is making a point along the lines of, "there used to be club run buses picking up from various points, but the club stopped doing it, presumably because they didn't see it as their job to run a transport organisation. If the P&R is essentially still just a general bus service to the ground, how is this different to the thing we got rid of"

I can sort of see it, but then I thought they should have never stopped running the buses.
What buses got stopped?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And at modern beer prices, i'd have to be in quite a state of excitement to want to chuck it in the air.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

That's not the point he is making as far as I can see but an interesting one none the less.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So for the first few years at the amex, the club put on buses from various parts of the city. I used to pick one up near the Grenadier.
Can't imagine why the club stopped putting on buses from near the Grenadier...
:wozza:

Screenshot_20230706_141931_Maps.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm saying that they can get a normal bus or train to the ground, and not muscle in on the special buses provided to service a set number of fans driving in from further afield who opt to use the park and ride. As mentioned, pre-match is less critical as the arrivals at the P+R are staggered over 2 hours or so. The chaos comes after the match when the P+R buses back to the Racecourse are overwhelmed by those who aren’t actually using the parking but just fancy a lazy shortcut. If there was charge for the P+R buses it might push some of the freeloaders onto regular services on which they don’t have to pay.
What will happen is that everyone who lives near a P&R will then have to drive there rather than walk, taking up all the spaces early (maybe even popping home for a cuppa if they are really close) and take up all the spaces leaving none for people who live further away.

Maybe this needs a little more thought :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Might be an unpopular idea but I'd like to see Park and Ride buses limited to those actually parking at the P and R sites. A lot of people wander up to the Racecourse site on foot and join the queue for a free bus. Not a huge problem pre-match with staggered arrival times but a major issue post-match when the same people expect to be ferried back to the Racecourse area free of charge while those who have parked there and haven;t left before the final whistle, have to wait -- often for 45 minutes or more.

The P and R service is a great idea so why should it be free? Why not charge a few quid per car (as most other P and R services across Europe seem to)? Give a token to all car drivers arriving at the P and R site, or a ticket for every car passenger, and have those travelling back after the game show the tickets to get on the bus back? The revenue raised could easily make the service self-financing and could even improve it.

If the club charged for the service, they could establish other P and R sites further out from the Amex to reduce post-match congestion.
Struggling to see how someone who lives near the racecourse getting on a bus and ‘expect to ferried back to the racecourse area free of charge’ after watching the game and paying for a ticket that includes a transport subsidy is any different whatsoever from someone expecting to be taken back to their car parked in the same area.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Struggling to see how someone who lives near the racecourse getting on a bus and ‘expect to ferried back to the racecourse are free of charge’ after watching the game and paying for a ticket that includes a transport subsidy is any different whatsoever from someone expecting to be taken back to their car parked in the same area.

It's different because the one with the car gets free parking as well as the bus, and is subsidised by the one who walks :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Struggling to see how someone who lives near the racecourse getting on a bus and ‘expect to ferried back to the racecourse are free of charge’ after watching the game and paying for a ticket that includes a transport subsidy is any different whatsoever from someone expecting to be taken back to their car parked in the same area.
The club is pretty keen on micro-managing all aspects of its operations. This P&R usage thing appears to have somehow slipped through the net. A simple email to PBOBE would result in a new unmoveable diktat shirley?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If I was a betting man - which I am whenever possible - I'd wager that the P&R walk-ons are shortly to be consigned to the dustbin of history. Ah well, it was good while it lasted for you guys eh?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I'm saying that they can get a normal bus or train to the ground, and not muscle in on the special buses provided to service a set number of fans driving in from further afield who opt to use the park and ride. As mentioned, pre-match is less critical as the arrivals at the P+R are staggered over 2 hours or so. The chaos comes after the match when the P+R buses back to the Racecourse are overwhelmed by those who aren’t actually using the parking but just fancy a lazy shortcut. If there was charge for the P+R buses it might push some of the freeloaders onto regular services on which they don’t have to pay.
Well I could drive my van a whole 300 yards to the racecourse so as not to "freeload" and take up a parking spot I don't need.
As we all pay the subsidy those of us not using a parking spot are subsidising those that do. Those that walk or cycle even more so.
In short you are the freeloader.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Well I could drive my van a whole 300 yards to the racecourse so as not to "freeload" and take up a parking spot I don't need.
As we all pay the subsidy those of us not using a parking spot are subsidising those that do. Those that walk or cycle even more so.
In short you are the freeloader.
What would you do if there was no park and ride? You could do that, and leave the P+R to those of us who are not locals. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here