Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wetherspoons

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe there is a serious point to this. Wetherspoons as a company is trying to do what Tesco and alike have done to the local shop and that is put pubs out of business. Many local pubs are struggling to survive due to high rents, rates, beer increases, staffing cost, the list goes on.

Fundamentally, since the breweries were instructed to sell most of their pubs and pub owning companies, such as Punch and Enterprise come into existence, the traditional pub has dramatically gone into decline. The average pubs rent has more than doubled whilst the average turnover has lowered. Less people are visiting the local boozer. The pub companies are screwing the landlords .The introduction of Wetherspoons into towns has had a great detrimental effect on the pubs within the locality including rural pubs.

I have customers coming in my pub complaining about my prices, using Wetherspoons as a comparison but they actually sell their beer cheaper than I can buy it, so there is no way that I can compete.

I do believe that the effect Wetherspoons and the pub companies are having will result in many more pubs closing and the visit to the country pub will be a thing of the past as is the village shop and post office.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL AND SCREW THE BIG BOYS

Whinge over

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
dwayne said:

Wetherspoons I salute you

i'm not at all surprised that uncultured cretins like you support weatherspoons. the only benefit they bring is that they nicely contain the dregs of society in once place. so the rest of us never have to face them.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Re: Re: Wetherspoons

Tesco in Disguise said:
i'm not at all surprised that uncultured cretins like you support weatherspoons. the only benefit they bring is that they nicely contain the dregs of society in once place. so the rest of us never have to face them.

:lolol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
PILTDOWN MAN said:
I believe there is a serious point to this. Wetherspoons as a company is trying to do what Tesco and alike have done to the local shop and that is put pubs out of business. Many local pubs are struggling to survive due to high rents, rates, beer increases, staffing cost, the list goes on.

Fundamentally, since the breweries were instructed to sell most of their pubs and pub owning companies, such as Punch and Enterprise come into existence, the traditional pub has dramatically gone into decline. The average pubs rent has more than doubled whilst the average turnover has lowered. Less people are visiting the local boozer. The pub companies are screwing the landlords .The introduction of Wetherspoons into towns has had a great detrimental effect on the pubs within the locality including rural pubs.

I have customers coming in my pub complaining about my prices, using Wetherspoons as a comparison but they actually sell their beer cheaper than I can buy it, so there is no way that I can compete.

I do believe that the effect Wetherspoons and the pub companies are having will result in many more pubs closing and the visit to the country pub will be a thing of the past as is the village shop and post office.

Whinge over

:clap:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
dwayne said:
so if a bar doesn't play music it's souless, noncesense.

It's good to go to a pub and have a chat sometimes, its also good to go to the one in leicester square before the big dog clubs in the west end, chill with your mates with some cheap good quality drinks.

I hope you are taking the piss Dwayne? No one who lives in London is credibly seen dead in The Moon under Water let alone Leicester Square. That is for foreigners and out of town tourists. And those Big Dog Clubs? I assume you mean the sad hangouts for Z list celebrities and those who want to be like them that play awful RnB and oldskool house by djs noone has ever heard of?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Albion Dan said:
I hope you are taking the piss Dwayne? No one who lives in London is credibly seen dead in The Moon under Water let alone Leicester Square. That is for foreigners and out of town tourists. And those Big Dog Clubs? I assume you mean the sad hangouts for Z list celebrities and those who want to be like them that play awful RnB and oldskool house by djs noone has ever heard of?

sorry Dan im not as "hip" as you

x:jester:

binary

Oct 4, 2004
South East Guildford
Piltdown Man you make a vaild point but there's a time and a place for everything. I live in a village and drink in the local which is not cheap but it is friendly and serves good ale.

Wetherspoons has served a very good purpose on many an away match. Mixed Grill at £5.99, reasonable selection of beers and ales and they let in kids!! Many of the traditional pubs we have tried will not allow a 12 year old in on a Saturday lunchtime.

For general drinking then yes the traditional pub gets my vote over Wetherspoons, Edwards, Bar Med etc but on an away match it is an important part of the day!

:drink: :drink: :drink:

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I`m off to Worthings Weatherspoon tomorrow for a curry and a pint of Strongbow for a fiver. And before anyone asks YES I am one of the dregs of society.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The only nice Wetherspoons I have been to was the one is Exeter.

But they stand for everything that is wrong about britain.

WKD and shooters, what is wrong with a nice pint of ale or an nicely aged havan club.

Damn, where are my slippers?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Wetherspoons is for pensioners. It's shite. The beer is rough and the food sucks. I have never smelt anything as disgusting as the gents toilets in Wetherspoons in Hove.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Compare

.. they stand for everything that is wrong about britain.

WKD and shooters, what is wrong with a nice pint of ale or an nicely aged havan club.

Damn, where are my slippers?

with

..Wetherspoons is for pensioners...

Well, are they for the oldies or they for hip, young gunslingers like Dwayne?

FWIW, I reckon Jimmy is more correct; I certainly don't associate Wetherspoons with the WKD brigade.

They do a nice drop of ale in most of them: the one I had in the Wetherspoons on Farringdon Road last week was delicious.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Safeway said:
Forgot, I took this picture in the Norwich Wetherspoons I went to in July (not the one that plays music). Nice.

no less than you deserve.

Taylors Dummy

Nov 3, 2004
South West Rye
PILTDOWN MAN said:

Whinge over

very valid points but the big boys serve decent food, are trouble free and let in kids. The perfect agenda for an away game. Been in Wetherspoons in Liecester, Rotherham, Sheffield, Derby, London, Luton, Ipswich, Bristol, Birmingham and the one in Brighton is the worst one by a mile. Why does Brighton have such a poor one?

On away games automatically head for Wetherspoons as have previously wasted hors trying to find somewhere that will let kids in and where you can get food. If the "traditional" pub was to wake up to this century then i would look elsewhere.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
I agree with Piltdown Man on this. Support your local traditional pub; there are still plenty of them around if you look hard enough.
The beer may be more expensive, but the quality & choice is far superior as is the choice & quality of food.

Yes I have occasionally used Weataherspoons but come on the the food is pretty bland, the beers invariably predictable; it's great if you want the ambience of a railway waiting room (not sure why East Croydon springs to mind).

The kiddies argument is fine but I have been taking mine to all sorts of pubs for years, often to watch football & live bands.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
My brother in law used to run a pub in Bristol & when they opened a Weatherspoons down the road, he told me that this really impacted on their business.

As they are a virtual monopoly they have the advantage of bulk buying from the small breweries & at the time their manager advised that they run with up to 8 months credit on paying their breweries so it is no wonder they can sell so cheaply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here