Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] West Ham United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Players are decent individually. They just don't function as a team. Was there any chemistry between the front three today. Did the players know how to use White on the right side today? Did Burn and March have good chemistry, overlapping each other and knowing exactly when to pass to the overlapping player? I am not a Potter out guy, but I hate his constant experimenting. Does not allow cohesion and chemistry to develop among the players. Dunk and Webster are finally developing some cohesion because they've been playing next to each other more regularly...

Interesting, ex-pros ALWAYS talk about the importance of building up partnerships.
At the beginning of the season White, Lamptey and Biss def had it. Seemed to instinctively know where each other was. Not too many examples of that atm.
Very good post. It's so nuanced. Can't simply be put down solely to the players or solely to Potter but neither are coming out with a huge amount of credit right now.

Bruno & Knocky - prime example of this. Not seen it for some while, although to be fair I thought Welbeck & Maupay were beginning to gel a bit.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Bruno & Knocky - prime example of this. Not seen it for some while, although to be fair I thought Welbeck & Maupay were beginning to gel a bit.

Spot on. In hindsight you could even argue that as a pair they were better than the sum of their parts.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It was nothing to do with zonal marking and nothing to do with coaching. The ball was right on Lewis Dunks head and he glanced it on instead of heading it back where it came from or out the box.

I think he was unsighted by the two of our players jumping in front of him and missing the ball. If we're marking man to man, that doesn't happen.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
From the Guardian...
There comes a point when repeated misfortune simply begins to resemble carelessness. In Brighton’s case the hard-luck stories are starting to wear thin. Even when the bounce of the ball goes in their favour they find ways not to win, undermining their stylish approach play with defending that leaves them uncomfortably close to the bottom three.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Nope, a classic “don’t point the finger at the manager because we can’t win a game “ post

Classic don’t blame the manager despite the fact we can’t win for toffee post? No way do we not have a better squad than at least five other teams in this league. At least three of which are above us. Any manager has to get the best out of what he’s got. Potter hasn’t got a bloody clue even what his best 11 is let alone the best way to get them to not concede set pieces, which even a league 2 manager should manage. You think if we had Alardyce (I don’t want him before you accuse me of that) we wouldn’t be defending corners better? What other manager in our history has had riches such as White, Bissouma, Lamptey, a champions league experienced Veltman, two players with well over 50 England caps, an international for the no1 rated team in the world, added to the obvious quality of Dunk. Add to that we had a well in form Alzate who looks like his confidence has been ruined since he disappeared into the void after playing for his country. Most managers in this league would be doing better than Potter and finding a system for the squad he has. Potter is quite frankly clueless at how to turn the stinking tide he has sailed us into.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Having a manager in/out poll for every game.. EVERY game? You approve of that? You don’t see that as being slightly knee jerk?

You do realise the poll is to gauge the sentiment of supporters? To get a feel for wether a sample of the fan base think it’s manager should stay or go based on the performances they are witnessing? Surely if that isn’t relevant on a supporters fan forum you might as well shut NSC down?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Classic don’t blame the manager despite the fact we can’t win for toffee post? No way do we not have a better squad than at least five other teams in this league. At least three of which are above us. Any manager has to get the best out of what he’s got. Potter hasn’t got a bloody clue even what his best 11 is let alone the best way to get them to not concede set pieces, which even a league 2 manager should manage. You think if we had Alardyce (I don’t want him before you accuse me of that) we wouldn’t be defending corners better? What other manager in our history has had riches such as White, Bissouma, Lamptey, a champions league experienced Veltman, two players with well over 50 England caps, an international for the no1 rated team in the world, added to the obvious quality of Dunk. Add to that we had a well in form Alzate who looks like his confidence has been ruined since he disappeared into the void after playing for his country. Most managers in this league would be doing better than Potter and finding a system for the squad he has. Potter is quite frankly clueless at how to turn the stinking tide he has sailed us into.

But **** all up front, we have the worst strike force in the division.. by a margin. No manager would do much better with what we have up front imo.

Pep would be considered clueless if he was our manager :shrug:

I really feel for Potter, he is on a hiding to nothing at the Albion. The defence have also let him down whenever we do manage to score. You are pointing your finger at the monkey when it should be at the organ grinder if you feel the need to complain

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But **** all up front, we have the worst strike force in the division.. by a margin. No manager would do much better with what we have up front imo.

I really feel for Potter, he is on a hiding to nothing at the Albion

:thumbsup:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

I really feel for Potter, he is on a hiding to nothing at the Albion. The defence have also let him down whenever we do manage to score. You are pointing your finger at the monkey when it should be at the organ grinder if you feel the need to complain

I’ll not disagree about our forwards but Potter was happy with our (same) options last season to the extent he sent Andone (who’d you’d think would walk into this side) packing. Why not stick Zeqiri in? He literally couldn’t be worse than Connolly. Looks like we are betting it all on Tau coming good. I expect Potter will stick him in as a wing back.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
As I said in my initial post, it's a shitshow up there at the moment which he's not responsible for.

Do you have an opinion on this? It seems like you're more just trying to trip me up rather than discuss the idea.

I don't think we can recall him anyway, but last year we'd likely have brought him on after Dunk's goal, and I think we need a full-on centre half in the armoury.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Think you maybe getting a bit paranoid! My opinion is that Shane doesnt want to sit on the bench here. He's also in poor form and wouldn't inprove us!

You really need to stop panicking - We'll be just fine.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Cannot afford to lose or else what?

Lose and there will be at least 5 points between Brighton and the teams above them - not counting Burnley who are likely to beat Sheffield United - Brighton will be one spot above the relegation zone and stuck in a dog-fight that the team are ill-equipped for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here