West Ham to move into the Olympic Stadium in 2016

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Almost a done deal IMHO Mr Hearn only embarks on court cases he knows he can win, if he's bottling it now then there's clearly no stopping West Ham.

However again IMHO I think this is the worst possible thing the Hammers can do and stinks of asset stripping and things equally as dodgy given the personnel involved, 10 years down the line they could be playing local derbies against Leyton Orient.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
As tax payers funding their new stadium, do we all get discounted tickets when our clubs play there?

I hope it all goes tits up for them-dislike them almost as much as I hate Man U. Horrible fans, horrible club. If they pay for the stadium themselves I have no problem with them moving in. If WE, the UK tax payers subsidise their move then I have a massive problem with it. They can Google off.

Really dont know why anyone would want another club to go tits up - it nearly happened to us!

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Almost a done deal IMHO Mr Hearn only embarks on court cases he knows he can win, if he's bottling it now then there's clearly no stopping West Ham.

However again IMHO I think this is the worst possible thing the Hammers can do and stinks of asset stripping and things equally as dodgy given the personnel involved, 10 years down the line they could be playing local derbies against Leyton Orient.

Cant see it to be honest - the opposite if anything. Upton Park area is an absolute shithole surrounded by a community that no longer has any affiliation with the club. Teh supporters essentially commute from Essex.
What I do know is if I was a cash rich investor looking to get into football West HAm would be my number one choice. Best Infrastructure in the country, 60k stadium that is world famous, London, Has a rich history, massively under achieving, passionate fans. Surely its a no brainer for some rich Arabs,Russians to swoop in. Why do you think Daniel Levy was so desperate to stop it?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Government paying for West Ham's new home then.

Are they the first football club to be on housing benefit?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Whats wrong with giving tickets to kids?

Nothing if it means filling up your stadium I suppose.
But will kids whose dad and grandad and support Orient carry on the tradition, or will they go to West Ham cos its free to get in
My dad took me to The Goldstone in 1964, when I was 8, he had to pay for me, and that is why I will always only support my local team.
Its in your blood

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Nothing if it means filling up your stadium I suppose.
But will kids whose dad and grandad and support Orient carry on the tradition, or will they go to West Ham cos its free to get in
My dad took me to The Goldstone in 1964, when I was 8, he had to pay for me, and that is why I will always only support my local team.
Its in your blood

Its a difficult one as they are on eachothers doorstep anyway. In fact Orient was traditionally well supported by West HAm fans who would often go there when West HAm were away. Hearns actions over trying to block West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium has alienated most of those people which in some part has been a reason for their dwindling crowds. I also do not buy into O's supporters kids becoming West HAm fans due to free or cheap tickets. If you are bought up in a family that supports a certain team and attends games you dont really have a choice who you support!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Its a difficult one as they are on eachothers doorstep anyway. In fact Orient was traditionally well supported by West HAm fans who would often go there when West HAm were away. Hearns actions over trying to block West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium has alienated most of those people which in some part has been a reason for their dwindling crowds. I also do not buy into O's supporters kids becoming West HAm fans due to free or cheap tickets. If you are bought up in a family that supports a certain team and attends games you dont really have a choice who you support!

Agree with this, but why do you see so many kids wearing ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool shirts these days?
Times have changed, which is why so many smaller clubs are struggling to survive.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton

Agree with this, but why do you see so many kids wearing ManU, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool shirts these days?
Times have changed, which is why so many smaller clubs are struggling to survive.

I think they have parents that are not interested in football, dont support a particular team, dont attend games or pamper to their spoilt little kids and allow them to chase the glory teams!!! I would wager that all the seasons tickets holders at the Amex who have kids - the majority of those kids will support Brighton.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think I know enough about their intentions thats not the point-
The Olympic Stadium is in Newham as is West Ham - Orient is in Waltham Forrest
West Ham are renting the stadium for £2 million a year and Leyton Orient want tp play there for free!

Sorry I didn't get back to reply earlier but I had to go out.

So then, you think Barry Hearn is the guilty party in this matter after WHU: have benefitted from the taxpayer to the tune of £60m; have been promised/have received multi-millions for their OS tenancy from Newham Council; BJ's mob & Central Govt. agencies; will sell Upton Park (against many fans' wishes) & gain multi-millions from the development - although nobody seems to know what they'll do with the money; pay a total of £15m for the OS deal (ie peanuts) & will only pay £2m per annum for the rent of the new ground (ie peanuts) - but presumably will keep all the associated commercial revenue, greater tkt income, & massive TV & PL riches; initially agreed in principle to share the ground with Leyton Orient (eg fulfilling OOC 'legacy' & community promises/objectives - but then they decide nearby club LOFC shouldn't have even a tiny slice of the pie so they just help themselves to the booty on offer; promise to give thousands of free tkts away to local kids when in residence & further destroy any vital new support for lower league & skint Orient (led apparently by Hearn The Club Murderer)... etc...etc...etc.

And you call ME clueless.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why do you think Daniel Levy was so desperate to stop it?

he wasnt, he just used a bid for the stadium and an objection to west ham winning first time, as leverage to get planning permission and big subsidy on White Heart lane redevelopment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Really dont know why anyone would want another club to go tits up - it nearly happened to us!

Where does it say I want the club to go tits up? I want their move at tax payers expense to be a massive failure-the whole thing stinks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
!! I would wager that all the seasons tickets holders at the Amex who have kids - the majority of those kids will support Brighton.

22000 as opposed to 4000 two years ago so it's a very recent thing. I'd suggest that the vast majority of kids in Brighton supported someone else when we were at Gillingham and Withdean. In fact I know they did. Have you noticed how many more Albion shirts are being worn by kids in the area now. At one stage it was all Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool shirts.

Kids don't like supporting a shit team and If West Ham move in next door to Orient there will be plenty of kids who would probably prefer to watch them regardless of who their fathers support.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Because we don't want some tin pot club f*cking our pitch up every other week. :lolol:

All the time you have Big Sam, you wont need the middle section. HOOF

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'm finding it hard to blame West Ham over this and I think it's probably quite a good deal for the public purse.

The stupid decision was not to put retractable seats in the first place. Idiots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports