Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

West Ham to move into the Olympic Stadium in 2016

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as nice as this back and forth is, this is as i recall it. bids were invited to take over the whole site lock, stock and barrel. several bids went in, including a mischeivious one from Spurs which involved knocking it all down (mischievous because they were also negotiating planing and a deal for WHL extension, you can judge for yourself which plan was the serious one). West Ham became the prefered bidder because they wanted to at least keep the stadium mostly as is. Hearn (and others?) objected and called for a judicial review, the bid process was founf to be flawed. then, they reopened the bidding, with change in terms in order to ensure a "athletic legacy", which was overlooked by all the bidders first time round and the winner would only be a tenant. funnily enough Spurs, who by now had their local dispute with Haringey resolved, didnt enter the bidding. West Ham offered the only credible use, so won. im sure this isnt a complete and accurate account, but thats the gists of it.

its odd how i dont recall this fuss being made over Man City aquiring their stadium, where the local council bent over backwards to pay for changes to make it suitable for them.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Spurs were in the bidding process for what to do with the stadium. Who said anything about renting.
WTF? You asked me to show you were you got your facts wrong, so I did.

Again, WTF has that got to do with anything? That is after the first bid. Spurs were one of the options for the stadium.

Triggaaar again I will type slowly for you

The first bid was booted out - null and void - it ceased to exist it was an Ex Bid.

The revised bid is what is relevant not one that was booted out - The revised bid did not include Spurs. This is all fact. Why bring up Spurs having a better bid when the withdrew it of their own accord????

How can the goverment consider a bid that wasnt put forth (after Spurs got the first bidding process booted out themselves)

As for you misquoting me this is what you put.......

Spurs didnt bid for it you buffoon

This is what I ACTUALLY said

Spurs didnt bid for it you buffoon - they wanted to knock it down and rebuild their own stadium without a running track and once they were told the track had to stay then they didnt retender. Everyone was entitled to bid for the use of the Olympic Stadium.

and then you quoted me as this........

Spurs bid and West HAm won

When I wrote this

Spurs bid and West HAm won - Spurs challenged the process and everyone had to rebid. Spurs didnt rebid!

You tried to make me look like I had my facts wrong by editing my posts to suit - not cool

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
as nice as this back and forth is, this is as i recall it. bids were invited to take over the whole site lock, stock and barrel. several bids went in, including a mischeivious one from Spurs which involved knocking it all down (mischievous because they were also negotiating planing and a deal for WHL extension, you can judge for yourself which plan was the serious one). West Ham became the prefered bidder because they wanted to at least keep the stadium mostly as is. Hearn (and others?) objected and called for a judicial review, the bid process was founf to be flawed. then, they reopened the bidding, with change in terms in order to ensure a "athletic legacy", which was overlooked by all the bidders first time round and the winner would only be a tenant. funnily enough Spurs, who by now had their local dispute with Haringey resolved, didnt enter the bidding. West Ham offered the only credible use, so won. im sure this isnt a complete and accurate account, but thats the gists of it.

its odd how i dont recall this fuss being made over Man City aquiring their stadium, where the local council bent over backwards to pay for changes to make it suitable for them.

Thanks for clarifying - pretty much what I was trying to say but didnt seem to be getting it across very well!

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
This is what Hearn is reallty after! Find it more unpalatable than anything else that has been going on - And the Olympic Stadium is not 750 yards from Leyton Orient - its 4 miles by rd - its 750 yards as the crow flies from the Northern most point of the Olympic PARK and the Stadium is in the far South. - Shoddy Journalism on that bit!

Mayor of London Boris Johnson and officials from the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) are considering making a financial offer to Barry Hearn in a bid to resolve the long-running Olympic Stadium dispute.
SportsDirect News has learned that officials have calculated the likely cost of a handout to Hearn, chairman of First Division Leyton Orient, in an attempt to halt the legal action he has brought against LLDC, after last week’s decision to award neighbours West Ham United a 99-year lease to play their home matches at the £429 million stadium.
A payment of as much as £10 million has been mooted by accountants working for Johnson, the Mayor of London and man with overall responsibility for securing a long-term legacy for the stadium.
“Everything is being looked into – including giving Hearn a payout,” commented a senior LLDC insider.
“But we’re not recommending we take this course of action – we’re simply doing the sums, to see what the financial exposure would be if this option were to become a necessity in the weeks ahead.”
Johnson is understood to be concerned about an £18 million payment made to Tottenham Hotspur more than 12 months ago, which resulted in the north London club pulling out of the bidding process. The cash – and a further £9 million payment received from Haringey council – is being used by Spurs to redevelop White Hart Lane.
The payment could be regarded as ‘precedent-setting’ by the High Court, which is being asked to conduct a formal review of the Olympic Stadium bidding process by Hearn.
Publicly, Hearn wants to secure a ground-sharing arrangement at the stadium with Premier League neighbours, West Ham United.
The Orient chief says that if this kind of deal isn’t brokered, the effect of the Hammers moving just 750 metres away from Orient’s Brisbane Lane ground with be “catastrophic” to his club.
But several notable critics – including West Ham co-owners, David Gold and David Sullivan – privately believe Hearn is using the legal system to secure a payout along the lines of the one received by Spurs.
“We have to take Hearn’s case at face value,” added the LDDC insider. “We’re not interested in speculation. Our job is to do the right thing for London and the country in the long term.
“If that means Barry Hearn receives some money, then so be it. But we’re not at that stage yet – and it may never come to that.”
Tagged Barry Hearn, London Legacy Development Corporation, Olympic Stadium, West Ham United, Boris Johnson
Johnson ponders £10m Hearn payout - Sports Business News | Sports Direct News

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hearn possibly will use it as excuse to sell Orient's ground and move East into Essex.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well if the Olympic Stadium & park was realistically ever gonna go to an organisition who reside in Newham, I wish Newham & Essex Beagles had got use of the damned thing. I'd have been more in favour of reducing the size of the joint after the Olympics & using it as the National Athletics stadium - even if it did cost more money to do. At least the legacy would've been fully in keeping with the sports that took place there so successfully last Summer & would provide a fantastic full-time facility for local kids & athletes from all over the country. God knows why the OLC decided that bunch of spivs from a Premier Division Football Club should be the preferred knights in shining armour to save their sorry arses. Hey bleedin' ho. :annoyed:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I have come to this thread late, so haven't read it all, so apologoes if it has already been mentioned, but, isn't it againt league rules to move a club to within a certain distance of another league club.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
I have come to this thread late, so haven't read it all, so apologoes if it has already been mentioned, but, isn't it againt league rules to move a club to within a certain distance of another league club.

Its interesting as I think if anyone is going to break it Leyton Orient will because....

Leyton Orient reside in Waltham Forrest

West Ham reside in Newham

The Olympic Stadium is in Newham

West Ham move to the Olympic Stadium they stay in their borough

Orient move to The Olympic Stadium then they are moving into another clubs borough

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Well if the Olympic Stadium & park was realistically ever gonna go to an organisition who reside in Newham, I wish Newham & Essex Beagles had got use of the damned thing. I'd have been more in favour of reducing the size of the joint after the Olympics & using it as the National Athletics stadium - even if it did cost more money to do. At least the legacy would've been fully in keeping with the sports that took place there so successfully last Summer & would provide a fantastic full-time facility for local kids & athletes from all over the country. God knows why the OLC decided that bunch of spivs from a Premier Division Football Club should be the preferred knights in shining armour to save their sorry arses. Hey bleedin' ho. :annoyed:

But Twinkletoes - as it stands they get to keep a large athletics stadium AND have a football tennant - surely thats a better deal than having a small athletics club have it and letting the government maintain it!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

That article is spot on. Football was the only sport capable of providing a suitable post-games tenant for the stadium and should have been planned from the beginning which would have of course made the whole thing a lot cheaper for the taxpayer.

At least now we are not left with a white elephant, but a venue that earns rental income and is big enough to host MAJOR athletic events as well as lucrative concerts etc. Without a football tenant it would an empty husk, a monument to the vanity of those who planned it in the first place.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
That article is spot on. Football was the only sport capable of providing a suitable post-games tenant for the stadium and should have been planned from the beginning which would have of course made the whole thing a lot cheaper for the taxpayer.

At least now we are not left with a white elephant, but a venue that earns rental income and is big enough to host MAJOR athletic events as well as lucrative concerts etc. Without a football tenant it would an empty husk, a monument to the vanity of those who planned it in the first place.

Well put - All the bleating about West Ham getting a free stadium etc etc but no one can come up with a viable alternative - the reason they cant is beacuse Football has to be included to make it pay.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Its interesting as I think if anyone is going to break it Leyton Orient will because....

Leyton Orient reside in Waltham Forrest

West Ham reside in Newham

The Olympic Stadium is in Newham

West Ham move to the Olympic Stadium they stay in their borough

Orient move to The Olympic Stadium then they are moving into another clubs borough

Just to follow up, the league rules on grounds are

13.6 Each Club shall register its ground with the Executive and no Club shall remove to another ground without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld
13.7 In considering whether to give any such consent, the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case and shall not grant consent unless it is reasonably satisfied that such consent
13.7.1 would be consistent with the objects of The League as set out in the Memorandum of Association;
13.7.2 would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that in which such Club proposes to establish its ground
13.7.3 would not adversely affect such Club's Officials, players, supporters, shareholders, sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
13.7.4 would not have an adverse effect on visiting Clubs;
13.7.5 would not adversely affect Clubs having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location;
-----------------------------
13.7.5 could be relevant ?

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Just to follow up, the league rules on grounds are

13.6 Each Club shall register its ground with the Executive and no Club shall remove to another ground without first obtaining the written consent of the Board, such consent not to be unreasonably withheld
13.7 In considering whether to give any such consent, the Board shall have regard to all the circumstances of the case and shall not grant consent unless it is reasonably satisfied that such consent
13.7.1 would be consistent with the objects of The League as set out in the Memorandum of Association;
13.7.2 would be appropriate having in mind the relationship (if any) between the locality with which by its name or otherwise the applicant Club is traditionally associated and that in which such Club proposes to establish its ground
13.7.3 would not adversely affect such Club's Officials, players, supporters, shareholders, sponsors and others having an interest in its activities;
13.7.4 would not have an adverse effect on visiting Clubs;
13.7.5 would not adversely affect Clubs having their registered grounds in the immediate vicinity of the proposed location;
-----------------------------
13.7.5 could be relevant ?

I guess it boils down to what is "immediate vicinity" - Barry Hear is always saying The Stadium is 750 yards from Brisbane Rd - However this is not true - Its 750 yards form The Olympic PARKS Northern Point and the Stadium is the far South of the park which is 4 miles by road.

I believe the Premier League had no objection to Spurs moving in to Newham "although if the had bid again this would surely have been challenged by West Ham" Would assume West Ham moving within their own borough boundaries and actually returning closer to where their first ground was wouldnt be a problem.

Leyton Orient and West Ham play opposite weekends anyway due to their current closeness anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here