Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Were palace injury hit?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Just asking because in the Guardians talking point from the game they say this:

The German was instrumental in the 4-1 thrashing of Roy Hodgson’s injury-hit side as Brighton ended their goalscoring drought in fine style

I thought they were missing Doucore and Eze with Olise on the bench?

How can a team in their 11th season in the premier league missing two players be described as injury hit? Who else were they missing?

It's not like they were missing Veltman, Milner, Mitoma, Adingra, March, Enciso with Fati only fit enough for the bench and Pedro being passed fit on the day of the game. Which, incidently is our smallest unavailable player list for months.

It's almost like Palace are an absolute shambles on and off the pitch...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Olise may have been on the bench but he wasn't considered fit enough to play the full ninety, and he only lasted eight minutes on the pitch. Idiotic gamble with the game more or less already lost. That one's on Hodgson

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Eze and Olise are by far their two best players. Everything revolves around them, and without them they’ve zero creativity. So IMO, yes they are massively affected by injury. We have more injuries but the difference with us is that we have better reinforcements and more flexibility, as under the RDZ system everyone knows the roles and (to some degree) can fill in the roles as needed. Palace seem totally washed up without their key players.

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Just asking because in the Guardians talking point from the game they say this:

The German was instrumental in the 4-1 thrashing of Roy Hodgson’s injury-hit side as Brighton ended their goalscoring drought in fine style

I thought they were missing Doucore and Eze with Olise on the bench?

How can a team in their 11th season in the premier league missing two players be described as injury hit? Who else were they missing?

It's not like they were missing Veltman, Milner, Mitoma, Adingra, March, Enciso with Fati only fit enough for the bench and Pedro being passed fit on the day of the game. Which, incidently is our smallest unavailable player list for months.

It's almost like Palace are an absolute shambles on and off the pitch...
Most of The Guardian's reporting is bo**ocks so I'm not surprised.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Watching the extended highlights made me realise we have a replacement for the Jimmy Hill - Chinny Reckon picture

Roy.PNG

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think that it's fair to say that their team was 'injury hit' as they were hit with injuries to both Guehi and Olise during the game. Their squad was missing Eze and Doucoure, but was bolstered by the arrival of the two new signings that made them the league's biggest spenders in this transfer window. They started the game with only four squad absences which puts them close to the bottom of the 'how many players do you have missing?' table. We had six out. The in-game injuries now put them mid table: https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php.

Incidentally, nice to see Liverpool and Arsenal pretending that they're in a title race, whilst that table shows that Man City are now ominously injury free and will move into a 'Steve Ovett with 200 metres to go' type second place, two points behind the pacemakers, with a win tonight.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Olise may have been on the bench but he wasn't considered fit enough to play the full ninety, and he only lasted eight minutes on the pitch. Idiotic gamble with the game more or less already lost. That one's on Hodgson
I must disagree. That's down to the medical team, his carer, the player and anyone else he has to rely on for info regarding player availability.
The way they're playing, that's down to the old bloke

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I must disagree. That's down to the medical team, his carer, the player and anyone else he has to rely on for info regarding player availability.
The way they're playing, that's down to the old bloke
I like Roy, but it was a silly gamble from a manager under pressure. Roy's always been a pragmatist and in the past would have been the sort of coach who would have shored up, tried not to lose the second half, but not risked the player for a game that was already lost.

However, had he done this, there's no doubt that he'd now be getting it in the neck from know all black pyjama internet warriors screaming that he has no understanding of the importance of the game, having not even brought on his best player.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That is an excellent analysis.
'browsing for bargains in an antiques shop in North Laine'

'what both sets of supporters hate being called the M23 Derby'

'All those millions banked in broadcast money and still Selhurst Park resembles something from a Charles Dickens novel.'

'Steve Parish and his fellow Palace owners...panicked at the first sign of trouble'

'Making it up as you go along as no way to run a football club.'

'While Brighton fans have spent this season flying out to Marseille, Amsterdam and Athens to watch their team make Europa League football look easy, Palace have wasted a campaign by keeping a 76-year-old in charge'

'Eagles supporters spend their spare hours making banners bemoaning their owners and Hodgson to hold up at the Emirates Stadium and the Amex, at the same time as Brighton fans sip red wine, eat cake and enjoy gyros on the continent'.

'11 seasons of sheer mediocrity would be enough to drive most football fans mad, even without the Seagulls soaring'.

OK, own up, who wrote that? It was definitely a brighton supporter, a local and I suspect someone on here!
Well done.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
'browsing for bargains in an antiques shop in North Laine'

'what both sets of supporters hate being called the M23 Derby'

'All those millions banked in broadcast money and still Selhurst Park resembles something from a Charles Dickens novel.'

'Steve Parish and his fellow Palace owners...panicked at the first sign of trouble'

'Making it up as you go along as no way to run a football club.'

'While Brighton fans have spent this season flying out to Marseille, Amsterdam and Athens to watch their team make Europa League football look easy, Palace have wasted a campaign by keeping a 76-year-old in charge'

'Eagles supporters spend their spare hours making banners bemoaning their owners and Hodgson to hold up at the Emirates Stadium and the Amex, at the same time as Brighton fans sip red wine, eat cake and enjoy gyros on the continent'.

'11 seasons of sheer mediocrity would be enough to drive most football fans mad, even without the Seagulls soaring'.

OK, own up, who wrote that? It was definitely a brighton supporter, a local and I suspect someone on here!
Well done.
I'm fairly sure he used to post here. Don't know if he still does.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So what we're saying is that yes, starting a game with two players missing counts as injury hit in your 11th season in the premier league(and the billion+ pounds that comes with it) IF you're a shambles of a club with a joke in the boardroom, a joke in the dugout and a bunch of jokes in the stand?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
No, it’s on anyone but, well according to him it is anyway. As a LEADER (on over £500k a MONTH) he’s paid to LEAD not throw the little man under the bus. You think his ‘team’ want to work for him now? Publicly you take the wrap, privately you deal with it. But he’s no leader, he’s a self-serving merchant who is so over the hill he’s digging a tunnel, I’ve worked for people like him in enterprises, arsehole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here