Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well said Andy Naylor

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
My word, a lot of people seem to have taken Naylor's words out of context. It appears that like, say Ashley Barnes, people have already made up their mind about him, and there's nothing he can do about it.

Here's another (very good, IMO) way of looking at it, from the fans' point of view:

A Banner Too Far.: A Banner Too Far?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yes hope Gus, TB etc don't read NSC after a bad result..

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Message boards are all about opinions. Whilst occasionally it goes too far so kind of agree with him, think alot of comments are jumped on by the 'other side' too. Makes the small number of actual tw@s out to be a bigger chunk of our support than it really is. Think in general we have very good, balanced fans tbh

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Message boards are all about opinions. Whilst occasionally it goes too far so kind of agree with him, think alot of comments are jumped on by the 'other side' too. Makes the small number of actual tw@s out to be a bigger chunk of our support than it really is. Think in general we have very good, balanced fans tbh

Agree

The trouble is with message boards (NSC) Is that if you have an opinion and put it in writing that's it , it stays there for days on end for people to shoot you down ridicule etc, but if say you were in the pub with your mates and said I thought Barnes had a shit game today someone might say yeah your right or wrong have a 5 minute chat about it then move on to talk about maybe how well Bridcutt played
But write down on NSC Barnes had a Shit Game then all hell breaks loose because it's up in lights for days and hundreds of people end up ripping everyone to shreads over a throw away comment that would be dismissed in 5 Minutes over a pint

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
However, in other regards, it's hard to imagine a man who is appears to be further distanced from fan culture and sentiment. I guess if you never had to pay to get into the Amex, you'd have no idea how to gauge what has largely been a well mannered and constructive discussion about ticket pricing concerns, both at the Albion and across football generally. To just dismiss it as moaning is arrogant and short-sighted.

Not only does he not pay to get in, he gets royally entertained free of charge, he never has to worry about parking, never has to queue for the trains or buses..... I don't generally have an issue with Naylor, but you are right Darren, he has succeeded in clearly illustrating how far removed he actually is from our fan base.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Agree

The trouble is with message boards (NSC) Is that if you have an opinion and put it in writing that's it , it stays there for days on end for people to shoot you down ridicule etc, but if say you were in the pub with your mates and said I thought Barnes had a shit game today someone might say yeah your right or wrong have a 5 minute chat about it then move on to talk about maybe how well Bridcutt played
But write down on NSC Barnes had a Shit Game then all hell breaks loose because it's up in lights for days and hundreds of people end up ripping everyone to shreads over a throw away comment that would be dismissed in 5 Minutes over a pint

Good observation - applies to most social media, I'd say, which is why I don't much like Twitter and Facebook. People feel the need to have an opinion, which hangs in the air much longer than a throwaway comment in the pub or at the ground. Then it provokes debate, and extreme position-taking, that can drag on for a long time and get quite heated. On balance I prefer real life to the internet. It's friendlier.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Not only does he not pay to get in, he gets royally entertained free of charge, he never has to worry about parking, never has to queue for the trains or buses..... I don't generally have an issue with Naylor, but you are right Darren, he has succeeded in clearly illustrating how far removed he actually is from our fan base.

But for this he has to lick a lot of arses and be as least controversial as the albion will allow.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For the full story, where he justifies his comments, read 52 of today's Argus...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the criticism of Naylor is disproportionate. The vast majority of discussions on NSC are reasonably well balanced, often witty, intelligent and can even at times reach a consensus, but there is a tiny minority (his words) of posters, who we are all familiar with, who do nothing but act like cocks, are noticeable silent at any positive news, and have a viewpoint about Gus/Pies/Barber/Bloom/Transport etc. that is so entrenched that it provokes (the sought for) reaction and is based on a selective use of statistics and an inability to distinguish fact from opinion.

Anyone who criticises Gus' tactics is entitled to express their view, and indeed may have a valid point at times, but when they do nothing except criticise then it suggests they they at best are trolling, at worst have anger management and mental health issues.

The Newcastle pricing issue was valid for discussion, but it is noticeable that many who were angry at the prices charged were silent or defending the policy when the same topic was raised five months ago at the start of the season by people who are non STH. Similarly the decisions with regard to Gully's Girls demise and the totalitarian approach to the NSC ticket exchange have had genuine debate and a flow of information from 99% of posters.

Some people on NSC (and they are only a couple of dozen in number) want the team to lose because in their own minds it proves that they are right. It is these vocal bellends that Naylor is criticising, not someone who thinks that Barnes has had a poor spell and deserves a spell on the bench/Development Squad/a lower division/Tower of London/Eternal fires of Hades. (delete as necessary).

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
A journalist who recoils at the concept of criticism? What next...

Being positive is fine. Getting on a high horse because of it, when your job description requires critical analysis, is absolutely nonsensical.

His critical analysis stopped the day he worked out that 99% of his stories are fed by Gus and the club.

He hasn't got the balls to ask Gus if he regrets letting go a certain striker.
He won't criticise the way our season has turned into a repeat of the last one.
He won't bad mouth Barber.

He's an absolute tool. Even if he doesn't agree, how hard is it to right a BALANCED argument and at least acknowledging the negatives?!

And heaven forbid giving a player a bad score in the ratings. Lewis Dunk completely f***ed our derby game and still got a 5 - someone care to explain his contribution in his 6 minutes on the field that warranted 5 marks? CMS got the same, for missing 1 chance.

Shambles.

Investigative journalism my arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here