Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done, Crystal Palace! Been a credit to the Championship this season

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Always good to see the small clubs mixing it with the big boys. You do your very best Palace, and don't let the fact that Man Utd's home gate (75k) is five times your home crowds (15k) intimidate you in the slightest.

Rumour has it Groupon has offered by one get two free on Palace season tickets. They will get an extra 10k but that wont exceed our brilliant stadium! UTA. And stop moaning NSC - its been a great season.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
They were many many points above us and still finished the season below us (again)

They get no credit.

16 Penalties awarded to them, highest in the division.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Holloway has all but said he won't be changing their squad next season and he has no idea how they are going to stay up.

All the money is going towards a redeveloped ground too - which isn't a bad decision to be fair.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Holloway has all but said he won't be changing their squad next season and he has no idea how they are going to stay up.

All the money is going towards a redeveloped ground too - which isn't a bad decision to be fair.

Yep totally agree. They should suck up a nasty relegation and sort out the stadium. An investment of around £60m should move it from 'terrible' to 'very poor'!!

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Yep totally agree. They should suck up a nasty relegation and sort out the stadium. An investment of around £60m should move it from 'terrible' to 'very poor'!!

Perhaps they could even bulldoze Croydon and its surroundings whilst they're at it... or perhaps employ the locals to burn the rest of it down?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Lucky or not they showed real character in the playoffs, something that I feel is missing from our team. The next manager will have to get the players to instill a bit more backbone into our squad. We now know from experience that pretty football alone won't do it. A few tweaks and a team with belief should see us kick on. Gonna be exciting once this fiasco is sorted..I hope.

Trouble is that character was fragmented until a certain dressing-room turd united them.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Or, they had a poor start, got a bit of momentum Thanks to a hit and miss Brighton reject who found a bit of form diving for penalties with the rest of his colleagues and sticking away penalties. Along the run beating their arch rivals at Selhurst thanks to them having a load of injuries and having a man sent off after 8 minutes. Then at the close of the season being incredibly poor and just about hanging on to the play off places only because everyone else was being incredibly poor while their arch rivals were playing incredible football. Then in the play offs beating arch rivals again because they Didnt take their chances and players not turning up like they had done a few games before. Then to the final where again players of the opposing team who had been brilliant all season Didnt turn up and get promoted to the prem from a Zaha penalty converted by Phillips who will probably never play for them again. I might be partisan, it may be the booze talking, but I think they've been bloody lucky.

This, the lucky b*stards

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
A case of the crap hitting the fan for your chaps then?

Great post Goldstone Rapper and thank you for your gracious congratulations. We know next season is going to be very difficult, to be honest I think it will be for all 3 promoted teams. Hopefully we spend the money we get on sorting out Selhurst Park, reinvesting in the academy and maybe buying a few decent players. In all honesty though I'm expecting a season of thrashings. I can take that as long as we reinvest wisely. For the rest of you sad sacks claiming we won because we're divers... we got more penalties than anyone else because we had faster wingers than anyone else. Did we get a couple of soft decisions on pens yep. Were there a couple of dives in there as well? Maybe. But being that your team got 12 pens are you going to claim all 12 of yours were bonafide?

Crystal Palace 15 3 missed 4 2 missed
Brighton & Hove Albion 12 4 missed 7

I really don't think anyone who watched the game can deny that it was a definite pen.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Thoughts on THEM

- Palace deserved to win the playoffs. We failed to turn up at the semis, and Watford bottled the final. Full credit to them.
- Typically it had to be a Zaha penalty appeal that won it. It's an ugly tactic, but it just works, and you can't blame them for making the most of what he does best. If we had someone who could skin people and go down in the box under a fould that the ref could just not NOT give the panalty for, then we'd be doing it all the time.
- I hate Holloway, and still think he's lacking tactically, but he set the team up to it's strengths so credit to him.
- The fact that Palace are in the Prem and we are not has absolutely zero to do with the supposed (and totally invented) volume & 'passion' differential between the clubs. Anyone who says this is talking absolute BARSE BROTH.
- I already cannot wait for next season. Of course after how tight it was between us over 4 games this year I was desperate to renew hostilities with Palace, but now they're not there we have a full season apart again to collect, gather and build up for the next meeting. Also allows us to focus a bit more on the rest of the league? Actually, maybe that's bollocks.
- I hope to god they don't sign Liam.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He left them for Bolton...

So the papers say but didn't he have a spat with Parrish who told him he was selling Zaha and that none of the money was for the team. Plus, they allowed Bolton to approach him. Sounds familiar but it's a bit different when one of your competitors comes calling rather than a premiership club. At the end of the day, Freedman, by all accounts, bled palace, so unlikely that he was looking to get out.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
So the papers say but didn't he have a spat with Parrish who told him he was selling Zaha and that none of the money was for the team. Plus, they allowed Bolton to approach him. Sounds familiar but it's a bit different when one of your competitors comes calling rather than a premiership club. At the end of the day, Freedman, by all accounts, bled palace, so unlikely that he was looking to get out.

Not sure where you're getting that story but its not the one I've heard. Freedman didn't bleed Palace sadly, he was a mercenary that we projected our love of the club onto. Bolton were offering to pay him a ridiculously large amount for a young inexperienced and unproven manager - in his shoes I'd probably do the same and I suspect all fo you would have as well. Fair play to him he got them playing some good stuff at the end but I'd prefer to be in the Premiership without a massive debt that he now has to deal with at Bolton. (Yeah yeah I suspect I'll get the 'oh yeah you just go into admin when you have debts..yawn)

His reason for leaving was as simple as us offering him a much improved contract and Bolton offering him a much much better one. And yes we allowed Bolton to approach him because they offered the right level of compensation (whatever that was) exactly the same as Bloom allowed Reading to approach Poyet as the compensation agreed was right.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
They recovered from a poor start to play some sparkling football this campaign. Then they recovered from losing their manager mid-way through the season, a transfer of their star winger (even with a loan back, could have had a destabilising effect), losing their top scorer, and having a terrible finish to the League season (which perhaps shows the competitiveness of this division). To come back from all that and win the Play-Offs with three clean sheets.... takes some doing. It would have been an injustice if Watford had won on their nothing performance today.

Crystal Palace have shown the character and resilience it takes to get promoted from this division. It's going to take the same kind of character and resilience from Brighton to recover from the hole we're in at the moment. Heaven forbid me to say this on NSC but we could actually learn something from what Palace have achieved this season. We certainly don't have as far to go to become a promotion side as they did at the end of last season.

The wonders of Crystal Meth !!!

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Palarse will end up bottom of the Premier League next season with no more than 15 pts, if that.

Then their truly placcy fans who are already, as we speak clammmering for tickets will all leave again and they will be down to 10-14k AGAIN !!!
Hollowank will be sacked by halfway through the season,
Coppel will take over AGAIN !!! and they will still be relegated.
Save my post and tell me at the end of the season if I was wrong !!

They had a lucky break !! I PERSONALLY wish those C***S absolutely no success whatsoever !!
What is it with some so called Albion fans coming on here and wishing them luck and oooh we were beaten by a better side etc etc etc !!
They got a lucky break on the day so what !!
I have had to bite my tongue with some of my pals on Facebook who ive been friends with all my life and be a man about it but really FFS some people on here are sickening.

F**K off to Shithurst Park next season and watch Palarse then as you obviously think more of them than you do Brighton.
I detest the wankers always have always will do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here